Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

acdcrockme
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

can my psu work good with my setup

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 pm

hello all I'm looking for a reasonable priced PSU cause I'm building a gaming rig what i need to know is does anyone have a ANTEC twelve hundred and a RAIDMAX hybrid RX-630SS and if you do was there any issues with the wiring length and case size cause heres my setup (so far)
case: ANTEC twelve hundred
mobo: ASUS p8z77-v deluxe
CPU: Intel i7 3770k ivy bridge
ram: corsair vengeance 32gb
HDD: 1tb mechanical

i plan on getting a gtx680 later on so i was wondering if this setup will have issues with that psu (for further note i am half way through my comptia a+ certification)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: can my psu work good with my setup

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Corsair CX "Builder Series" are pretty good value for money. The CX500 only has 2 PCI-E power connectors but that will definitely suffice for a single GTX680 and 500W ought to give you plenty of headroom. The two PCI-E power connectors will let you use graphics cards up to 225W without extra adapters.

If you plan on going for a really beefy graphics card, like something that is heavily overclocked, see if you can find a deal on the Antec 620w high current gamer PSU, which is balanced towards more PCI-E power connectors, and all are 6+2 pin.

Both of these are 80+ bronze rated, so whilst not the most efficient PSUs you can buy they will at least be reasonable performers and shouldn't get too hot or noisy.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

continuum
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 pm

IIRC the +12v rail in that PSU is only good to 432W. Which in theory is still plenty of power, but that unit is an Andyson platform pushed a little beyond spec.

Spec-wise you're probably ok, but Raidmax is decidedly NOT known for longevity and I would pick up something more reliable.

Additional discussion at Jonnyguru:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/archive ... -8285.html

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 am

continuum wrote:

Heh, I learned something interesting from that thread, though not directly related to the PSU in question. It's old news, but apparently Ultra tried to patent the idea of modular power supplies a few years ago. WTF? At least they eventually got slapped down.

I actually was wondering why modular PSUs took so long to catch on; now I know. PSU vendors were probably waiting to see what happened with the Ultra patent.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.