Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, Steel

donek
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

HELP - External WD Elements

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 am

Hi,

My hard drive WD Elements (2TB) recently starts to work not stable. Without any reason, I had problems to move or copy some files from my HDD. Sometimes my computer doesn't recognize my HDD.

I tried to use WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows "Extended Test", but it failed because some errors. It doesn't even want to finish the test. It just hangs around ~15% of scanned sectors and completely stops.
When I did "Quick Test", it passed..

I tried "HDDScan-3.3" and I've got S.M.A.R.T. report:

Can someone tell me what is wrong with my external HDD and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: HELP - External WD Elements

Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:20 am

It looks like it is developing bad sectors.

Unfortunately, the only thing you can really do at this point is copy off as much of your data as you can to another drive, and replace (or RMA if still under warranty) the failing drive. Once a drive starts to develop lots of bad sectors there isn't any way to "fix" it yourself, and it will only continue to get worse.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

maxxcool
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 am

^^ What brew said. The drive is * physically* damaged. You need a new one and you need to copy off as much as possible **right now** before the drive stops powering on.
Cybert said: Capitlization and periods are hard for you, aren't they? I've given over $100 to techforums. I should have you banned for my money.

Ditiris
Gerbil

Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:41 am

My condolences. As others have said, your drive is on its way out. No mechanical drive is perfect. Basically at the time they are manufactured they have some sectors on the disk that don't work. The drive has a list of these bad sectors, and simply doesn't put data there. On a healthy disk, this list either doesn't grow after the drive is manufactured, or grows very slowly. On a disk going bad, the bad sector count increases. Yours has increased to the maximum capacity. Basically your disk is continuing to develop bad sectors, but the drive can't keep track of them anymore because the bad sector list has run out of room. If I were you, I'd power the drive off immediately, buy a new drive, then copy over the data to the new drive.

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:53 pm

What the others said. It's definitely developing bad sectors and the defect list for relocating sectors has exceeded its high threshold - meaning its exceeded the number of bad sectors the guys at WD decided to account for before throwing a SMART exception. Your Spin Up time seems to indicate that your drive is having difficultly spinning up from idle, for whatever reason, and Windows might be dropping the drive due to timeout. As maxxcool suspects, your drive has probably been physically damaged, and just guessing from the SMART report, might be a servo (motor) issue or scratched medium (platter).

I highly recommend getting what files you can off of it and RMAing the drive. I'd also recommend that you avoid plugging it in until you are about to start copying those files since your drive might have a very short lifetime remaining and you really don't want to burn that time up by having it just sit there while you're doing other things.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Western Digital is easy to work with on RMA, including the option of advance ship to get you the replacement before you send (use this to get approved shipping materials).

If you are outside the USA I found WD to be a bit more of a pain to deal with than other vendors (drive must pass through customs, just label it clearly as a defective return and include any paperwork they send you)

donek
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi,
Thank you Guys for every information. Unfortunately My warranty has finished few months ago it means I'm s...w.
I will have to buy new one. :cry:
Thanks again !!!!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:47 pm

donek wrote:
Hi,
Thank you Guys for every information. Unfortunately My warranty has finished few months ago it means I'm s...w.
I will have to buy new one. :cry:
Thanks again !!!!

Never hurts to ask for an RMA. All they can do is say no and depending on their own internal RMA experience there may be a stealth warranty extension.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Yeah, don't give up without checking. You can do it on their website -- just navigate to the "Support" tab on their website and then click through to the "Warranty check" page. They allow you to check by serial number.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

donek
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:44 pm

THANKS !!!!
P.S.
It didn't work. :x