Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

etilena
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

DIY NAS

Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Planning a NAS build as I need more space for my photos and media. The gist of it is a case with an ivy bridge pentium, a ssd as boot drive with 3 or 4 3TB green/red drives. Just looking for ideas on parts and software to run it. Planning it to be mini itx to save space, with upnp to stream to my htpc. don't currently have any redundancy solutions so any advice on that is appreciated.

thanks!
*yawn*

danazar
Gerbil Elite

Re: DIY NAS

Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Your biggest problem will be finding an ideal case. "Mini-ITX" and "small" don't often go together with "4 3.5-inch drives". There are some nice ones out there, but nice means expensive.

Though I've never used it, you might consider something like the Ark ITX case, $139 on Newegg, or the Lian Li PC-Q25B, $119 on Newegg.

RAID is not redundant. If you want true redundancy, you want to either 1) set up your NAS with an online cloud backup service, 2) buy a couple of external hard drives and have your NAS periodically copy its contents to the drives, or 3) buy a couple external network-capable hard drives (like a WD My Book with Ethernet) and have your NAS periodically rsync to them. Those are your only true redundancy solutions.