Windows 8 UI and replacements

Monopoly money comes in many flavors: 7, Vista, XP, 2K, ME, 98, etc.

Moderators: Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:37 am

Since the Techreport has essentially recommended using Windows 8 in its last system guide rather than stick with Windows 7 for some reason, I was looking at using something like this once I either build my next desktop or buy a notebook. What are your thoughts about this and what do you recommend?
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 am

You can always do the last bit of this. :P
Image
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God
 
Posts: 24439
Joined: Mon May 24, 2004 2:19 am

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 am

Start8 - I'm sure I could get used to Metro, but I've got XP and 7 at work along with Red Hat and Ubuntu, (and most UNIXes), and 7, 8 and Fedora at home. I don't need to spend more time looking for things Microsoft moved on me.
MarkD
Gerbil
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:52 am

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:48 am

Almost everything is in the same spot just slightly different. As long as you have an idea of where it was previously you can do things like type control panel and open it up that way. Or you can simply right click, hit space bar (this opens all apps) and hit control panel, this is just an example.
I7 3820, 16 GB of ram, 240 gig corsiar nuetron, gtx 560 ti, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w
128 GB surface pro
thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2236
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:35 pm

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

Just install Start8. it tucks the Metro UI away and you will not even see it 99% of the time. Adds a nice start menu that fits the Windows 8 look. Even I was happy to keep Win8 on my laptop, so that must mean something.
Last edited by Philldoe on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"
Philldoe
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2791
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 12:12 pm
Location: Turn around...

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 am

I've been using StartIsBack on my netbook. It works great and is easy to install and configure. I highly recommend it.
Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:51 pm

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Philldoe wrote:Just install Start8. it tucks the Metro UI away and you will not even see it 99% of the time. Adds a nice start menu that fits the Windows 8 look. Even I was happy to keep Win8 on my laptop, so that must mean something.


I haven't made a change to the OS, and I still don't see Metro 99% of the time.
stryker47
Gerbil
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:43 pm
Location: Bismarck, ND

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Great suggestions from all. Now: which version of Windows 8 should I use: Windows 8 or Windows 8 Professional?
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:51 pm

riviera74 wrote:Great suggestions from all. Now: which version of Windows 8 should I use: Windows 8 or Windows 8 Professional?


IIRC the only practical difference is that Pro offers networking functionality. If you're planning to join a domain, use hyper-v, remote desktop, that sort of thing, you need Pro.

It's possible that Pro supports more RAM too, but I think Win8 supports 16gb and that's plenty of RAM for home use.
cphite
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:28 am

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:12 pm

cphite wrote:
riviera74 wrote:Great suggestions from all. Now: which version of Windows 8 should I use: Windows 8 or Windows 8 Professional?


IIRC the only practical difference is that Pro offers networking functionality. If you're planning to join a domain, use hyper-v, remote desktop, that sort of thing, you need Pro.

It's possible that Pro supports more RAM too, but I think Win8 supports 16gb and that's plenty of RAM for home use.


I believe Win 8 supports 512gb RAM across the board.
License to kill gophers.
MethylONE
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Link

128GB for Windows 8.

512GB for Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise.

Here's a more full featured list of differences.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3546
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 pm

I've always used Pro because of things like RDP and NTFS file permissions
StuffMaster
Gerbil
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:41 am

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 pm

riviera74 wrote:Since the Techreport has essentially recommended using Windows 8 in its last system guide rather than stick with Windows 7 for some reason, I was looking at using something like this once I either build my next desktop or buy a notebook. What are your thoughts about this and what do you recommend?


I'd give Modern UI a shot if you haven't. I was pretty skeptical of it, but it grew on me pretty quickly.
absurdity
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: VT

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 pm

The issue I have with Modern UI is that it is a tablet UI. I would have replaced my (former) iPhone 4 with a Windows Phone if I wanted to deal with Modern UI. Modern UI makes perfect sense for a tablet or smartphone. It makes NO sense on a desktop or a notebook for obvious reasons. Even if you have a laptop with a touchscreen, such as a Lenovo Yoga, a proper desktop is still best when it comes to true multitasking and actually doing real work on a PC (whether one is playing Crysis 3 or working on an Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation).

Modern UI: I will pass on that.
Laptop: HP Pavilion 17-e016dx. AMD A8-5550M, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 8550G integrated video, 17.3" display, 1600*900 (HD+) resolution, SD card reader, Windows 8.1 (DL Classic Shell)
riviera74
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 6:14 am
Location: FM, FL, USA

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 pm

stryker47 wrote:
Philldoe wrote:Just install Start8. it tucks the Metro UI away and you will not even see it 99% of the time. Adds a nice start menu that fits the Windows 8 look. Even I was happy to keep Win8 on my laptop, so that must mean something.


I haven't made a change to the OS, and I still don't see Metro 99% of the time.


Same. I login, click desktop, and I'm good to go. I only have to use Modern UI for lesser-used programs I don't have pinned to the taskbar or which have shortcuts on my desktop.
MadManOriginal
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1431
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: In my head...

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 pm

riviera74 wrote:Even if you have a laptop with a touchscreen, such as a Lenovo Yoga, a proper desktop is still best when it comes to true multitasking and actually doing real work on a PC (whether one is playing Crysis 3 or working on an Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation).

Win8 has a proper desktop. You'll see the Start screen about as often as you see the Start menu on any previous version.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5441
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:00 am

riviera74 wrote:The issue I have with Modern UI is that it is a tablet UI. I would have replaced my (former) iPhone 4 with a Windows Phone if I wanted to deal with Modern UI. Modern UI makes perfect sense for a tablet or smartphone. It makes NO sense on a desktop or a notebook for obvious reasons. Even if you have a laptop with a touchscreen, such as a Lenovo Yoga, a proper desktop is still best when it comes to true multitasking and actually doing real work on a PC (whether one is playing Crysis 3 or working on an Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation).

Modern UI: I will pass on that.


Well, then pass on it. For desktops Win7 is still a good OS - it will continue to work with all current hardware as well as future hardware for at least next few years, it has DX11 (many "modern" games are still "stuck" with DX9), it will still be able to run stand-alone programs by just about every sofware developer who supports Windows (except the absolutely redundant and severely feature-lacking Win8 "apps") and it doesn't FORCE you to adapt to Fisher-Price mobile GUI or rely on 3rd-party applications to make it behave the way YOU like ;-) As for pre-installed Win8 on laptops - well, just try out several programs mentioned in that Ars article and see which one you prefer, problem (partially) solved!

As for people who got suckered in into upgrading to Win8 and now trying to publically "like" it (in order to "silence" their own inner ever-gnawing "doubt about making rational purchase") - just ignore them :wink: Be an individual, not a sheeple, and decide for YOURSELF what YOU prefer! :D :wink:
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Postposted on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:08 am

The Windows 8 start menu is terrible with a mouse, but it is actually fine with a keyboard. Just hit the Windows key to pull up the start menu, type the program you want to run (e.g Steam), hit enter, and you're good. It's takes only a second or two.

Also, many programs (such as Chrome, LibreOffice, VMWare Player) still run in desktop mode, so you should have no problem multitasking.
monkeydude55
Gerbil In Training
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:12 pm


Return to Windows

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests