Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Windows 8 UI and replacements

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:37 am

Since the Techreport has essentially recommended using Windows 8 in its last system guide rather than stick with Windows 7 for some reason, I was looking at using something like this once I either build my next desktop or buy a notebook. What are your thoughts about this and what do you recommend?
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Windows 8 UI and replacements

Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 am

You can always do the last bit of this. :P
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

MarkD
Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:27 am

Start8 - I'm sure I could get used to Metro, but I've got XP and 7 at work along with Red Hat and Ubuntu, (and most UNIXes), and 7, 8 and Fedora at home. I don't need to spend more time looking for things Microsoft moved on me.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:48 am

Almost everything is in the same spot just slightly different. As long as you have an idea of where it was previously you can do things like type control panel and open it up that way. Or you can simply right click, hit space bar (this opens all apps) and hit control panel, this is just an example.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:35 am

Just install Start8. it tucks the Metro UI away and you will not even see it 99% of the time. Adds a nice start menu that fits the Windows 8 look. Even I was happy to keep Win8 on my laptop, so that must mean something.
Last edited by Philldoe on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 am

I've been using StartIsBack on my netbook. It works great and is easy to install and configure. I highly recommend it.

stryker47
Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Philldoe wrote:
Just install Start8. it tucks the Metro UI away and you will not even see it 99% of the time. Adds a nice start menu that fits the Windows 8 look. Even I was happy to keep Win8 on my laptop, so that must mean something.

I haven't made a change to the OS, and I still don't see Metro 99% of the time.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm

Great suggestions from all. Now: which version of Windows 8 should I use: Windows 8 or Windows 8 Professional?
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:51 pm

riviera74 wrote:
Great suggestions from all. Now: which version of Windows 8 should I use: Windows 8 or Windows 8 Professional?

IIRC the only practical difference is that Pro offers networking functionality. If you're planning to join a domain, use hyper-v, remote desktop, that sort of thing, you need Pro.

It's possible that Pro supports more RAM too, but I think Win8 supports 16gb and that's plenty of RAM for home use.

MethylONE
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:12 pm

cphite wrote:
riviera74 wrote:

IIRC the only practical difference is that Pro offers networking functionality. If you're planning to join a domain, use hyper-v, remote desktop, that sort of thing, you need Pro.

It's possible that Pro supports more RAM too, but I think Win8 supports 16gb and that's plenty of RAM for home use.

I believe Win 8 supports 512gb RAM across the board.
License to kill gophers.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Link

128GB for Windows 8.

512GB for Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise.

Here's a more full featured list of differences.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

StuffMaster
Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 pm

I've always used Pro because of things like RDP and NTFS file permissions

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 pm

riviera74 wrote:
Since the Techreport has essentially recommended using Windows 8 in its last system guide rather than stick with Windows 7 for some reason, I was looking at using something like this once I either build my next desktop or buy a notebook. What are your thoughts about this and what do you recommend?

I'd give Modern UI a shot if you haven't. I was pretty skeptical of it, but it grew on me pretty quickly.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 pm

The issue I have with Modern UI is that it is a tablet UI. I would have replaced my (former) iPhone 4 with a Windows Phone if I wanted to deal with Modern UI. Modern UI makes perfect sense for a tablet or smartphone. It makes NO sense on a desktop or a notebook for obvious reasons. Even if you have a laptop with a touchscreen, such as a Lenovo Yoga, a proper desktop is still best when it comes to true multitasking and actually doing real work on a PC (whether one is playing Crysis 3 or working on an Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation).

Modern UI: I will pass on that.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 pm

stryker47 wrote:
Philldoe wrote:

I haven't made a change to the OS, and I still don't see Metro 99% of the time.

Same. I login, click desktop, and I'm good to go. I only have to use Modern UI for lesser-used programs I don't have pinned to the taskbar or which have shortcuts on my desktop.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 pm

riviera74 wrote:
Even if you have a laptop with a touchscreen, such as a Lenovo Yoga, a proper desktop is still best when it comes to true multitasking and actually doing real work on a PC (whether one is playing Crysis 3 or working on an Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation).

Win8 has a proper desktop. You'll see the Start screen about as often as you see the Start menu on any previous version.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:00 am

riviera74 wrote:
The issue I have with Modern UI is that it is a tablet UI. I would have replaced my (former) iPhone 4 with a Windows Phone if I wanted to deal with Modern UI. Modern UI makes perfect sense for a tablet or smartphone. It makes NO sense on a desktop or a notebook for obvious reasons. Even if you have a laptop with a touchscreen, such as a Lenovo Yoga, a proper desktop is still best when it comes to true multitasking and actually doing real work on a PC (whether one is playing Crysis 3 or working on an Excel spreadsheet and PowerPoint presentation).

Modern UI: I will pass on that.

Well, then pass on it. For desktops Win7 is still a good OS - it will continue to work with all current hardware as well as future hardware for at least next few years, it has DX11 (many "modern" games are still "stuck" with DX9), it will still be able to run stand-alone programs by just about every sofware developer who supports Windows (except the absolutely redundant and severely feature-lacking Win8 "apps") and it doesn't FORCE you to adapt to Fisher-Price mobile GUI or rely on 3rd-party applications to make it behave the way YOU like ;-) As for pre-installed Win8 on laptops - well, just try out several programs mentioned in that Ars article and see which one you prefer, problem (partially) solved!

As for people who got suckered in into upgrading to Win8 and now trying to publically "like" it (in order to "silence" their own inner ever-gnawing "doubt about making rational purchase") - just ignore them :wink: Be an individual, not a sheeple, and decide for YOURSELF what YOU prefer! :D :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

monkeydude55
Gerbil In Training

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:08 am

The Windows 8 start menu is terrible with a mouse, but it is actually fine with a keyboard. Just hit the Windows key to pull up the start menu, type the program you want to run (e.g Steam), hit enter, and you're good. It's takes only a second or two.

Also, many programs (such as Chrome, LibreOffice, VMWare Player) still run in desktop mode, so you should have no problem multitasking.