Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Not quite Tunguska, but...

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:41 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
I'm still skeptical that the explosion sound is actually the blastwave of the explosion though. The ranges here are so far off that it seems rather unlikely. For example, in one of the videos with the blast breaking glass, there's about 30 seconds between flash and the boom so that's 10km. But we know the meteor exploded 30km over the earth and this video is from a distance making it even more than 30km.

So that implies the flash and the blast were separate events. Maybe the blast is actually from the impact of the remaining fragments with the ground (which could very well have been ~10km away).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:43 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
I'm still skeptical that the explosion sound is actually the blastwave of the explosion though. The ranges here are so far off that it seems rather unlikely. For example, in one of the videos with the blast breaking glass, there's about 30 seconds between flash and the boom so that's 10km. But we know the meteor exploded 30km over the earth and this video is from a distance making it even more than 30km.

Some of the reports I've read from those injured by the flying glass impute a delay of 2-3 minutes between flash and boom, although none cite distance from the hypocenter. Also, the blast altitude is still up for debate and will likely never become a single number.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
ChronoReverse wrote:

So that implies the flash and the blast were separate events. Maybe the blast is actually from the impact of the remaining fragments with the ground (which could very well have been ~10km away).

Maybe, I'm thinking it might have just been the sonic boom of a 50ft wide unaerodynamic object moving at mach 44.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 pm

ChronoReverse wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Maybe, I'm thinking it might have just been the sonic boom of a 50ft wide unaerodynamic object moving at mach 44.

Ahh, yes. That could be what happened!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:47 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Located impact sites appear to be about 50 miles from Chelyabinsk. No idea as to distance from blast location in 3-D space.

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:20 pm

Fairly certain the damage was caused by the sonic boom and didn't have much/anything to do with the disintegration of the meteor. Jets breaking the sound barrier can break windows - this was just a really big and fast jet ;) Definitely wasn't from the smallish pieces reported to have made it to the ground.

I believe this hole in a frozen lake is the largest "crater" found so far.
http://www.reuters.com/news/pictures/sl ... R3DTY8#a=8

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QIojLKAVOI&sns=em
Some people with a good sence of humor in Russia posted this video as a "crater from the meteorite in Chelyabinsk"... Most amusingly, some news sites actually believed in this and showed this video on their sites with the text about it being a result of this meteorite! :lol:
Of course, what the video really shows is just this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_to_Hell
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

ChronoReverse
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:25 am

Haha, it's so obviously not a meteorite. Meteors are more likely to be frozen upon landing after all.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:26 am

ChronoReverse wrote:
Haha, it's so obviously not a meteorite. Meteors are more likely to be frozen upon landing after all.

Well, at least the solid iron ones. Chondrites (with internal water) tend to make big explosions like we saw on all the dash-cam vids.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:26 am

Ain't nobody got time to click on the links (seen the videos before on reddit), but just in case, here is the event seen from multiple angles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Omh7_I8vI

And an episode of scishow about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1meZ3I67-QM
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:18 am

http://www.offworlddesigns.com/images/P ... um/814.jpg
Sticker spotted on an asteroid over Russia

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/1 ... -doom.html
"Nukes Forever!" - Lowell Wood, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 4 Feb 1992