Here's what I'm running right now, with most of the components having just turned 5 years old:
1. CPU: Core 2 e8400 OC'd moderately to 3.6 Ghz.
2. 8 GB of DDR2-1066 RAM
3. Asus X38 motherboard
4. Geforce GTX-560 (non-TI) graphics card (this is a newer addition obviously).*
5. 128 GB Crucial C300 SSD (stores the OS + most applications, bought in 2010).
6. Asus Xonar DX (PCIe version).*
7. I also have access to 2 TB storage server using ATA-over-ethernet, but I'm going to retire the storage server when I do the upgrade.
8. Case: Antec 900
9. PSU: Some sort of Corsair 650 watt (works fine but not a modular PSU design).
10. LG Bluray ROM (burns DVDs, reads Blurays)*
Note: Items with a * next to them are being brought over to the new system. I will be upgrading GPU, but will likely wait for Maxwell in 2014.
Here's my proposed new system with a few placeholders for items that aren't on the market yet:
1. CPU: Haswell 4770K (I run Linux, I do a fair amount of compiling, the hyperthreading is actually useful and not just there to be seen)
2. GPU: Still the 560 (waiting for Maxwell or AMD to get its drivers in order for Linux before an upgrade)
3. Motherboard: Some z87 chipset setup, preferably with 4 USB 3's out the back and headers for 2 more USB 3's on the front. Thunderbolt would be great to have if it isn't too expensive. Standard ATX size.
- a. Either a Samsung 840 Pro or OCZ Vector @ 512GB for system drive
- b. A Micron m500 960GB for larger data storage (replaces the 2 TB external storage array that I'm really not filling up in any meaningful
6. Cooling: A 280mm closed-loop radiator. I'm leaning toward the Corsair H110 (I will be replacing the fans, and I would like to get the CPU OC'd to 5 GHz)
7. Case: I'm leaning toward the NZXT Switch 810, likely the matte-black or gunmetal edition to avoid fingerprint smudges.
8. PSU: Silverstone 750 modular
So.... any thoughts? Anyone else out there planning a Haswell build later this year?