Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

"Destiny" - by Bungie

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 pm

http://www.joystiq.com/game/destiny

Please no PC pWnZZ consoles suck ranting. Game looks sweet.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Re: "Destiny" - by Bungie

Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:46 pm

I was expecting it to be Tier 1 ancient humans vs forerunners. Forthencho vs Didact sort of thing.....but after clicking on the articles it doesn't seem related at all to Halo and that's not necessary a bad thing. I love sci fi games (i never played Halo but i watched most of the cinematics and listened to some audio books) and this seems to be interesting.

If they release for PC and it's good enough i could see myself buying it. Still it's too early, so far we know that it will be an FPS, it will have vehicles, there will be 9+ large maps, persistent gameplay. Story wise it's still kinda murky, but i see it will involve a mysterious Orb (i thinking about the monolith when it was being described). The factions will include humans and aliens, but haven't heared any given names yet. Personally i'm excited.
Last edited by Arclight on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:27 pm

So... Is this a re-skinned Halo? :P Don't care about fancy graphics demos or proprietary iPhone chat/armory apps, all I'm interested is "how many people per multiplayer map/instace are allowed?". If it's 16 - not interested :P
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:38 pm

JohnC wrote:
So... Is this a re-skinned Halo? :P Don't care about fancy graphics demos or proprietary iPhone chat/armory apps, all I'm interested is "how many people per multiplayer map/instace are allowed?". If it's 16 - not interested :P
Well, it's a current-generation console game. You know the deal.

Maybe the inevitable PC release will support more. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
:glares at RAGE: щ(ಠ益ಠщ)

Black Applesauce
Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:12 pm

This is for the current consoles? Really? That just sucks, for the player mostly. Wait one year and the game could have SO much more potential with better graphical capabilities, player count, etc.

That's a shame.
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
-Bill Gates

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Just found this bit:
"As players explore the world of Destiny, Bungie's network code will constantly work to match players within proximity of each other when they enter public areas (such as quest areas, towns and more). While the concept sounds like an MMO, Bungie says players shouldn't expect to see town squares littered with hundreds of players. "[The] amount of players you see is design controlled," Bungie COO Pete Parsons said, adding it's "not about stuffing as many people in there as possible."

So... Basic automated matchmaking and tiny waiting lobby instances... Just as expected from such game :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:10 pm

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:30 pm

auxy wrote:

Good riddance! No need for this consolized abomination on PCs :P

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:35 pm

JohnC wrote:
But it sounds so cool!

Permanent-online FPS with towns and quests and dynamic co-op and stuff? Sounds kinda like Dark Souls, the sci-fi FPS version! ヽ(*≧ω≦)ノ

Well, that makes it sound way better than it probably will be, ahahah... (ー△ー;)

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:36 pm

I thought the only market for these types of games was on the PC? Aren't they setting themselves up for failure?
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:40 pm

yogibbear wrote:
I thought the only market for these types of games was on the PC? Aren't they setting themselves up for failure?
Eh, depends on the structure of the game; if it is similar to Dark Souls as I surmised, then it should be fine on the consoles. "Fine", anyway.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 pm

yogibbear wrote:

Why? They have tiny lobbies with automated matchmaking and a random "worlds" instances to play in small squads (I believe I've read somewhere that you can play in a squad of up to 6 people)... Sounds like a fitting console game for current generation of consoles :wink:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 pm

auxy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
But it sounds so cool!

Non omne quod nitet aurum est :wink:

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:05 pm

JohnC wrote:
Yah, yah. The flipside of that is equally relevant tho; "Every diamond starts out as coal." ( ̄ω ̄;) Especially relevant in this age of constant game updates and patches.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:30 pm

auxy wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Yah, yah. The flipside of that is equally relevant tho; "Every diamond starts out as coal." ( ̄ω ̄;) Especially relevant in this age of constant game updates and patches.

Unfortunately I have seen quite an opposite process from many game studios during the last decade or so... Bioware, Epic Games, id Software, Splash Damage, etc. - the "diamonds" of their creativity that once shone so brightly have long since lost their glister altogether... Or something like this :wink:

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:38 pm

That right there is a true statement. o(╥﹏╥)o Though I still enjoy some of the games from those developers, they're certainly not as ambitious or creative as they used to seem -- but, you know, I think this has more to do with the market and the industry having moved on, than it does with any sort of failure on the part of the developers.

Maybe they're too old? (/□\*)

You can include Bungie on that list too, though; Halo was certainly a good game, but nothing revolutionary (despite the infuriating comments made by the developer in that rockpapershotgun article...), and I wish they'd do something different and ambitious like Oni again...

C-A_99
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 am

"We made the game run without a mouse and keyboard. And now nobody plays shooters the way they used to play them before Halo ’cause nobody wants to."

Counterstrike? Battlefield 3? What are those? And it's not like it's possible to play on a PC with a gamepad or anything, not at all. :roll: (Oh wait, it is, but only preferably if you're not facing against 1000Hz 3600+ DPI mice on CRT/TN PC opponents with your little aim assist - enabled thumbstick on a PVA TV's so-called "gaming mode".)

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:09 am

auxy wrote:

That's too bad. Looks like i'll only be enjoying the lore.
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:03 am

Looks interesting, but Activision is involved so it's a non-buy.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:51 am

auxy wrote:
You can include Bungie on that list too, though; Halo was certainly a good game, but nothing revolutionary (despite the infuriating comments made by the developer in that rockpapershotgun article...), and I wish they'd do something different and ambitious like Oni again...

I'm glad that I'm not the only person who found those comments more annoying than the remark about PC gamers not caring anymore. :D

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 am

Well to ignore the OP:
It's terrible looking (and yes console are to blame, and no, it won't look better at release)
It looks like a halo reskin
It has facebook and twitter integration
it's supposed to be a shooter MMO
and it's by activision

You would be a fool to think this will be anything more than a pandering casual fest with the viral marketing + lore (which we all get for free) being the best aspect of the game. This is part of Kotick's grand vision to have subscription based FPS's.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

David
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 pm

lilbuddhaman wrote:
Well to ignore the OP:
It's terrible looking (and yes console are to blame, and no, it won't look better at release)
It looks like a halo reskin
It has facebook and twitter integration
it's supposed to be a shooter MMO
and it's by activision

It looks terrible? You're just being a PC fanboy there.
Halo reskin? Yeah, but who cares? Halo is fun.
Social integration? Okay, social is stupid.
Do you hate all MMOs or just shooters?
Activision....God I hate Activision.

I'm sure it'll be a fun game. Not sure what a "pandering casual fest" means in FPS terms. No doubt the lore will be interesting. But I can't buy the books because I can't give Activision their pennies.
Xbox Live = narcon / Steam = narcon / PSN = Pontifex

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:26 pm

David wrote:
It looks terrible? You're just being a PC fanboy there.
Halo reskin? Yeah, but who cares? Halo is fun.

That is terrible by my standards.

I love shooters, that's why I dislike the hype around Halo games (which are fun but subpar at best). As far as FPS MMO goes, I 100% guarantee this won't even remotely close that, despite it being claimed as such. Likely just a glorified hub system (think Hellgate: London).

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 pm

God forbid an unreleased game not look polished and up to your standards lilbuddhaman. Thanks for contributing to the thread in a constructive way though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Are there more ingame pics or videos? If it will indeed be released this year, i'm surprised that so little is still known about it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Arclight wrote:
Are there more ingame pics or videos? If it will indeed be released this year, i'm surprised that so little is still known about it.

On the earnings call Bungie had not too long ago I think they said not to expect it this year. Not explicitly, but that's the gist.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/bungie ... reenshots/

It's not like Halo games were pushing any bounds graphically. I don't know why anyone would expect this to be ZOMG beautiful. Especially considering it's supposed to be released on current console hardware.

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Arclight wrote:

Just visiting this thread has made Destiny ads appear as the top/bottom banner. Google analytics, you scare me.

There is a viral webpage alphalupi.bungie.net with a time-released "crowd-sourced" puzzle, not sure if it's finished or what, saw a pages of people on /v/arious forums trying to solve it. I think at this point you can get a decent amount of lore / story type stuff from that. Also, there are some collage pictures floating around that show how all of Bungie's games are centered around this one universe, and that Destiny is apparently the culmination of them all. (marathon, halo, destiny all being alternate realities??)

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:22 pm

Lore/story is the one and only thing I've enjoyed about Halo.

When they stopped making them for PC, my interest waned quite a bit. I want to like them, but not on console.

Disclaimer: bought a new X360 and a shiny new copy of Halo 4 back before Xmas. Still haven't cleared the first main area. It's hard to shoot people with a thumbstick.

To support this, I'm on my fourth playthrough of Borderlands 2 with my main character, working on 100% sidequest completion. No problems hitting my targets there.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:25 pm

Forge wrote:
Lore/story is the one and only thing I've enjoyed about Halo.

When they stopped making them for PC, my interest waned quite a bit. I want to like them, but not on console.

Disclaimer: bought a new X360 and a shiny new copy of Halo 4 back before Xmas. Still haven't cleared the first main area. It's hard to shoot people with a thumbstick.

To support this, I'm on my fourth playthrough of Borderlands 2 with my main character, working on 100% sidequest completion. No problems hitting my targets there.

Just a matter of "getting used to it", old man :wink: For some people it takes less time, for some - more, but eventually you can get very "comfortable" with controllers... Of course, if you don't like the "getting used to it" process - there's no need to "force" yourslef through it, there are always plenty of PC games supporting mouse... Even though barely anyone uses mouse to play games nowadays (at least according to Bungie's version of "reality") :wink:

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:47 am

No matter how comfortable you get with a thumbstick, I put my money on a medium skilled mouse and keyboard player over a top ranked gamepad player.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system