Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: weird TR ads

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:01 am

Got an odd one for an opiate addiction rehab program last night, and the ad at the top of this page right now is a link to a page at bp.com where they toot their own horn about how much they've helped clean up the gulf oil spill. Very random.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:56 am

just brew it! wrote:
Got an odd one for an opiate addiction rehab program last night, and the ad at the top of this page right now is a link to a page at bp.com where they toot their own horn about how much they've helped clean up the gulf oil spill. Very random.

Guys, gather round. This is an intervention.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

deruberhanyok
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
@deruberhanyok - Maybe you need to stop using those dodgy Ukranian web proxies! :lol:

Not possible. In Soviet Ukraine, Internet proxies you!
<3 TR

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Arclight wrote:

Edit: Are you.....are you married?

:o No, but... I'm afraid to ask, but why are you asking? :-? :o
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:48 am

JohnC wrote:
Arclight wrote:

Edit: Are you.....are you married?

:o No, but... I'm afraid to ask, but why are you asking? :-? :o

NSFW
http://i.imgur.com/XNuQgR7.jpg

Edit: I'm starting to believe that i'm the only one laughing here. Anyways i haven't seen that ad since i reported it, hopefully it got blacklisted.
Last edited by Arclight on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:49 pm

That is SFW. A better warning is that it contains adult language.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Arclight wrote:
Please make my suffering go away

[img removed]

Isn't that IE? You can start by downloading a better browser :wink:
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:15 pm

superjawes wrote:
Arclight wrote:
Please make my suffering go away

[img removed]

Isn't that IE? You can start by downloading a better browser :wink:

I like it more than Chrome....it has better looking fonts, easier to mange, i like the simplistic look of it without that neon white of chrome.

Edit 1
Plus Ctrl+Shift+P
you can't explain that.

Edit 2
Also, can you do this with Chrome or FF?
Right Alt+Enter
http://i.imgur.com/Snj44cA.png

Edit 3
Can you drag and pin browser tabs to the taskbar with chrome or FF and create shortcuts that when pressed launches the browser to the site where the browser was when the shortcut was created? I genuinly don't know if this is a W7 feature that works with all browsers or just with IE.

Anyways i just made one for TR (it has custom colors and whatnot. BTW guys you should make the site small logo a liltle more interesting, just saying):
Closed (look at the taskbar, it's got the TR logo)
http://i.imgur.com/hcrKKLJ.jpg

Opened
http://i.imgur.com/9EskFzl.jpg

Edit 4
That ad has not been blacklisted apparently:
http://i.imgur.com/mujwdTr.png
In case someone is wondering how that site looks like
http://i.imgur.com/jPbpYNt.jpg
Yeah, yeah i clicked it, what was i supposed to do? Not know the site i was moaning about being removed from the ads?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Can I complain about the Nexus 7 ads? 8)

Cause I am a apple fanboy
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:03 pm

Now I am getting that dating site Ads... Still not very relevant, though, considering... Well, considering some things :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

wizardz
Gerbil

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:33 pm

yeah been getting "the asian ad"...

http://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/ ... 021&adurl=http://www.chnlove.asia/go.php%3F11082&nm=3&nx=109&ny=45&mb=2

Inkling
TR Staff

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm tired of playing whack-a-mole, so I just banned all dating service ads. I hate to paint with such a broad brush, because there are certainly some decent services that would be acceptable. Right now, however, there are far more beasts than beauties in this game.

Let me know if you keep seeing questionable ads.
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 pm

As you wish - there's one for Zoosk at the bottom of this page. Just did ctrl-F5 to force refresh & it's still there.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Inkling
TR Staff

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm

bthylafh wrote:
As you wish - there's one for Zoosk at the bottom of this page. Just did ctrl-F5 to force refresh & it's still there.

Thanks bthylafh, but I should've mentioned that it takes a couple hours for Google to apply the changes I make in their control panel.
Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations-these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit - immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. -C.S. Lewis

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:44 pm

But what if there are TR forum readers who are actually looking for an online dating service? :lol:

(I don't find them bothersome at all, really more humorous than offensive. If you stand to lose revenue by blocking them, I've personally got no problem with keeping them in the rotation.)

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:12 am

For some reaons I just thought - huh TR has ads ?

You know you've become really accustomed to a site when you dont have an adblock and still dont see the ads because your mind automatically filters whats important from the site :wink:

JBI - I bet the forum would gladly offer both solicited and unsolicitet bad and good advice on that matter :P
That said, I'm with just brew it on the issue, but then, apparantly I have a attention filter on those...

superjawes

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:54 am

Aphasia wrote:
For some reaons I just thought - huh TR has ads ?

You know you've become really accustomed to a site when you dont have an adblock and still dont see the ads because your mind automatically filters whats important from the site :wink:

JBI - I bet the forum would gladly offer both solicited and unsolicitet bad and good advice on that matter :P
That said, I'm with just brew it on the issue, but then, apparantly I have a attention filter on those...

With the exception of the Sleeping Dogs background clickable ad, TR's ads have never been intrusive.

I hate clickable backgrounds. Misclick and you end up on a page you never wanted to be or opening a new window. Auto-sound ads are also terrible, as are unskippable ads with no relevance to you on Youtube. I'm looking at you, CDC...

/soapbox

But like I said before, my TR pages are pretty relevant. All tech stuff on my end.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Not sure what the hell is going on there.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:

Well that's pretty obnoxious. At least make the ad conform to the shape of the space it is supposed to go in.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:01 pm

That's an R&P ad anyway. :-?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:

:lol: Soo... Are you for it? Against it?

...personally I prefer seeing these kinds of Ads:

:wink:

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:11 pm

bthylafh wrote:
That's an R&P ad anyway. :-?

Well, to be fair it doesn't make a statement pro or con, so it is more like a link to an R&P thread than actual R&P content.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 am

Got another nice one (you guys should definitely keep those Ad providers! :wink: ):

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 am

Pretty sure I've seen the SnorgTees ads on here before... they're not new.

Inkling
TR Staff

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:45 am

tanker27 wrote:
Can I complain about the Nexus 7 ads? 8)

Cause I am a apple fanboy

Yes. Complain all you want. It's not hard to ignore fanboys.

:wink:

Inkling
TR Staff

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:29 pm

superjawes wrote:
With the exception of the Sleeping Dogs background clickable ad, TR's ads have never been intrusive.

I hate clickable backgrounds. Misclick and you end up on a page you never wanted to be or opening a new window. Auto-sound ads are also terrible, as are unskippable ads with no relevance to you on Youtube. I'm looking at you, CDC...

/soapbox

But like I said before, my TR pages are pretty relevant. All tech stuff on my end.

Thanks for the input, superjawes.

I heavily emphasize both our content and the demographic of our audience to land relevant sponsors. However, we could definitely make a few more bucks if we ran pop-ups, pop-unders, push-downs, interstitials (unskippable) or rich media adverts with sound, video, peel-backs, or auto-expanding graphics. Research indicates that these generate more clicks, sales, and brand awareness than traditional banner ads, notwithstanding how much readers say they loathe them.

Since we refuse such intrusive options, sometimes the only way I can land a campaign from a big advertiser is to agree to something like a roadblock (100% saturation of all banners on a page), page skin (clickable margins), or interactive widget with a feed of products or press releases from the sponsor. I try to make these "heavy" features a small piece of the overall campaign and will typically run them only a couple days; whereas the less-intrusive banners might be live for several weeks or months.

Soooo.... fair warning: See all those purty AMD Radeon banners on the site today? The accompanying page skin will start in a day or so, but they'll be gone before too long. :D

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:08 pm

This is what I mean about those R&P ads coming in from Newsmax:

Hakkaa päälle!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:57 am

Not really weird so much as obnoxious.

I can't get off of this page. There's an ad (see link below) that hides the TR logo button that you click to get back to the home page. And then when I accidentally roll over it, it opens to take up a bunch of the screen.

screenshot
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:11 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Not really weird so much as obnoxious.

I can't get off of this page. There's an ad (see link below) that hides the TR logo button that you click to get back to the home page. And then when I accidentally roll over it, it opens to take up a bunch of the screen.

screenshot

I was actually going to post here about that myself. I don't even care about getting R&P ads because they're harmless enough, but anything that actually obscures or alters the function of the site is horrible.

EDIT: Speaking of ads like this...are we just going to report them here if they become problematic, or is there an official form we can fill out or something?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:13 am

Inkling monitors this thread, so I'm content to report it here. It seems to happen infrequently enough that it'd be more trouble than it's worth creating a form.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen