Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

grob49
Gerbil
Topic Author

Kbd and Mouse on a Asus Vivotab me400c?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about buying an Asus VivoTab ME400c Windows 8 Tablet. I'll use it mostly for media consumption, but it might see some light use with word processing and spreadsheets using Open Office or Evernote.

The Vivotab only has a micro USB for "charging and data transfer". I was wondering if I could plug it into a powered USB hub along with a keyboard and mouse. Would it see and use the kbd and mouse?

If anyone has tried this, please let me know how it worked (or failed).

Thanks!

Gerald
grob49 - I only have 10 kinds of friends. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Kbd and Mouse on a Asus Vivotab me400c?

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:06 pm

USB ports generally are not symmetrical (unless they're a strange breed called a "USB On The Go" port). They're either a host port (designed to control peripherals) or a device port (designed to act as a peripheral).

It is not clear to me which flavor of port the Vivotab has.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 am

One word: Bluetooth.

Although if you're going to spend that much money on a tablet, you might as well pay the extra $180 for the laptop-style keyboard dock. Then you've got a keyboard, a trackpad, a USB port, and a card reader.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:03 pm

ludi wrote:
One word: Bluetooth.

Although if you're going to spend that much money on a tablet, you might as well pay the extra $180 for the laptop-style keyboard dock. Then you've got a keyboard, a trackpad, a USB port, and a card reader.

+1

I bought the keyboard dock with my Asus Transformer. Very handy.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm

I have that tablet and an adapter. Confirmed it works to attach a thumb drive. Assume other peripherals would work as well but will confirm.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:10 pm

Confirming it works with a Logitech Unifying Receiver. Would assume it works with anything.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:19 am

Here's a fun one, upon buying two more ME400C's I was able to verify (as I suspected) that my cover was not magnetically installing as intended. I didn't know if the magnets we backwards in the cover or in the tablet but now I know for sure that it is the tablet at fault. I've contacted Asus. To make things more interesting I recently installed one of the much talked about "non-transferable" Office 2013 licenses on my ME400C - wonder if I will be able to re-install it if they elect to send me a new tablet.

Edit: Lol, I'm glad I posted this because it got me thinking - I can fix the problem with the cover because if I rotate it 90 degrees it latches properly - so I just need to take the cover and flip it so the soft inside is facing the screen when the magnet part is in its new position. Its still a problem with my tablet though because technically I need a non-stock cover for it to work properly. Now how to disassemble the cover without damaging it...

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:27 am

Fixed this in case anyone cares...