Hopeseeker
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Frequent BlueScreens with Rampage II Gene Motherboard

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Hello. I have this problem.
While I am doing something the PC crashes and the screen becomes blue:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/dscf0177jp.jpg/

This does not seem to be related to what I am doing with the PC. I may get a Bluescreen even if I am surfing the web and nothing else.
I have run prime95 for 30+ hours without fails. CPU Temperature under extreme stress 90-93°C with stock heatsink at full speed. Vcore 1,216V
I have run Memory Tests and no fails.
The Bluescreen seems to happen only after fresh boots ("cold boots"), not after re-boots or boot after going in the BIOS, saving & exit and booting ("warm boot").

This is what usually happens, exactly: the sounds starts to become weird: the speakers make strange noises, as if someone was moving in and out the jack of the speakers. I also gradually loose control over the mouse pointer: the pointer twitches from one point to the other. If I'm playing a game, it lags. In seconds, the twitches become more and more frequent, the lag becomes more severe, until I cannot move the pointer at all, the screen freezes completely and I hear a looping loud noise from the speakers. The speakers emit the last noise they were producing before the screen freeze, over and over.
After 5-10 seconds of this, the screen becomes blue:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/dscf0177jp.jpg/

After the bluescreen, the PC automatically re-boots and windows tells me I had a critical error, etc.
After the re-boot or another type of "warm boot", the bluescreen does not happen that day.

Sometimes the PC freezes instantly, without the mouse twitches and strange sounds. But you usually get the twitches and noises before it happens, so you always know when it is going to happen. If you are lucky, you can quickly quit the program you are running, and reboot, avoiding the bluescreen and protecting against bluescreens for the day.

I get the Bluescreen almost every day. I use the PC for 2-6 hours every day.

My system:

OS Windows 7 Home Premium
CPU i7 960 @ 3.2. I don't overclock. Stock heatsink.
Mobo Asus Rampage II Gene
GPU GTX 470
RAM Corsair XMS 3 1333 x 6 Gb Memory
Disk SSD Samsung 128 Gb + secondary Hitachi HDD 1 Tb
Case Enermax Chakra
Can't remember the power supply I have

Description given by Windows:

Problem signature:
Name of problem event: BlueScreen
SO Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Local ID setting: 1040

Further information:
BCCode: 101
BCP1: 0000000000000019
BCP2: 0000000000000000
BCP3: FFFFF880022CE180
BCP4: 0000000000000003
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Please help me I don't know why my PC behaves like this.
The weirdest thing is the fact "warm boot" seems to protect the PC from bluescreen indefinitely, while "cold boots" (fresh booting from the turned off PC)will yeld a bluescreen 90% of the times, after a random amount of time, ranging between 5 minutes and several hours.

Also check this board, where some people have similar problem with ASUS rampage II gene motherboards.
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=70751&start=0
Some people in the forum board I linked have solved the problem, some didn't. Hopefully you can understand better than me why warm boots are different from cold ones and you can help me make my system protected against bluescreens even if I cold boot.

Some of the people in the forum board I linked report good results if they disable the HPET in the BIOS.

Other people in the forum say to reset the CMOS (change position or remove and put it back. Rampage 2 Gene may have a button to do this more simply)and then reset certain values in the BIOS.

I still have to test these solutions but maybe you can come up with something better.

credible
Gerbil XP

Re: Frequent BlueScreens with Rampage II Gene Motherboard

Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 pm

The first thing I would do is give a little more voltage to the cpu.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm

http://youtu.be/nNShaHCF3sE

You're going to have to replace the motherboard.

There is no fix for the problem you describe. Only a work around, which you're already doing. It's a known issue that was never fixed.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Hopeseeker
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:48 am

Is there really nothing I can do to make my system stable even with "cold boots"?
In this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=70751&start=0

Some of the people report good results if they disable the HPET in the BIOS.

Other people in the forum say to reset the CMOS (change position or remove and put it back. Rampage 2 Gene may have a button to do this more simply)and then reset certain values in the BIOS.

DO you think this could make sense? Please try to help me if you can I don't have the money for a new motherboard thank you.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:34 am

There is no fix.

If you can't replace the board, then the warm boot work around is your only choice.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.