Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Re: Games for girls

Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:43 pm

@auxy, you still missed the part about this being a 7 year old. Glad you are well practiced at your quote/reply sniping to make the point you want to make rather than respond directly to someone's overall comment/response/discussion.

No idea why you bring up all the other points you do. And I choose to ignore responding to them even though I disagree with your implications on gaming based on your point of view about "women in society having to look pretty" etc. It's not like I can as a man turn up to work looking like a POS and expect respect from people or snare my successful partner of choice. Not sure what workplace/relationships you've been in, but that simply isn't so. Though unsure how this links at all with what games are suitable for a 7 year old.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:19 pm

yogibbear wrote:
No idea why you bring up all the other points you do.
yogibbear wrote:
Unsure how this links at all with what games are suitable for a 7 year old.
Yah, I kinda lost the plot in there somewhere.(。 >艸<) The points are valid though, however unrelated.
yogibbear wrote:
@auxy, you still missed the part about this being a 7 year old. Glad you are well practiced at your quote/reply sniping to make the point you want to make rather than respond directly to someone's overall comment/response/discussion.
That's some pretty nice sniping you're also doing! I didn't miss her age at all; rather, I disregard concerns about her age as I don't think they are relevant. You would know that if you had actually read my posts.( ̄~ ̄;)
yogibbear wrote:
And I choose to ignore responding to them even though I disagree with your implications on gaming based on your point of view about "women in society having to look pretty" etc. It's not like I can as a man turn up to work looking like a POS and expect respect from people or snare my successful partner of choice. Not sure what workplace/relationships you've been in, but that simply isn't so.
You totally missed my point. I'll address it in the new thread when I get off work.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:46 am

auxy wrote:
I disregard concerns about her age as I don't think they are relevant.
That's where you missed the point of the thread.

The folks that responded seriously to the OP's request suggested games that are appropriate for a 7 year old vs. an adult.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:27 am

I think her point is that parents shouldn't be afraid of having children deal with adult themed games..

I can agree with this to a point. I don't think that kids should be exposed to all games (especially the more violent ones ala GTA). I wouldn't object to children playing adventure games (i.e. Final Fantasy, WoW, etc). Granted the OP wanted games for the DSi, so I would allow something like Fire Emblem.

The point is that it will depend on the child in question and what they are interested in and what they can handle. My nephew loves the pokemon battle games. I can't see the point, since it's basically the same thing over and over again, but it may be that he's already collected all the pokemon, so he isn't interested in the story aspect. Other kids will like different things. It is our job as parents to identify, nurture, and guide... Not blindly look at age/gender appropriate ratings/targets and go with that.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Heh. When I was ten, the most violent video game in my house was Apple Panic. Kids these days...

Back to good games for kids - of whatever flavor - I would look into The Sims or Katamari Damacy. Because what budding little tyrant is going to pass up the chance to play God with these poor souls' lives? And the Katamari game is just fun.

My limited experience with non-gamers who are sort of wondering what these game things are all about really don't go for the twitch aspect of games. Games with strong story elements tend to go over well. If it weren't for the mature relationship possibilities in the BioWare games, I would seriously suggest those as engaging stories. If you're not limited to consoles, Jade Empire is light on combat but heavy on story. Similarly, the Prince of Persia reboot they did is an excellent jumping puzzle with a safe storyline and excellent voice acting. Combat is limited to one-on-two combo-fests.

If you're going to look into racing games, I highly recommend Split Second. It was a great game that released with exceptionally poor timing. I haven't had that much fun going around in circles in a long time. XBLA has Hydro Thunder which is an excellent remake of the arcade game. It's odd that a lot of the over-the-top silly tracks racing game doesn't seem to have much support on consoles, instead falling to Gran Turismo style simulators.

Oh, and Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit was a blast.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:54 pm

When i was 10 it was wooden swords, morning stars made with with a tennis ball on the end of a rope and stick and the good old steel trash can lids as shields. Hockey gloves as gauntlets and other assorted sporting goods to act as armor. The wooden swords also passed as light sabers also since star wars was new and very cool to us.
Playing army along with our fort/tree house on the creek was way up there. Guns made of wood or plastic along with metal cap guns...if we had the paper snap's you threw that look like a sperm cell they would be grenades:) As for the fort/tree house younger kids used it during the day and the older kids like my brother who was 4 years older would use it at night with his friends to party and smoke....sometimes the older kids would hog it day and night. Thats when we were Jedis, army men and knights.
Street hockey was big growing up also.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:17 pm

It's free,no gore, World of Padman. There is also the classic Myst as well http://www.gog.com/gamecard/myst_masterpiece_edition.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 pm

i'll second the lego games. i have an 8 year old girl and she LOVES them. they're decent for that age as there is no way to die, but they still have challenges. my daughter loves lego batman 2 in particular. i won't let her play lego lotr until we read the books first, as she really loved the hobbit.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:03 am

I'd put Simcity into the list. Hopefully Simcity 5 which is out next week will be a good game.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:28 pm

tfp wrote:
I'd put Simcity into the list. Hopefully Simcity 5 which is out next week will be a good game.
All together now...
MICROTRANSACTIONS!!!
  • ┌(・。・)┘└(・。・)┐┌(・。・)┘

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Ouch, my eyes!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:45 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Ouch, my eyes!

Hehehe, sorry. (*・艸・)

Just think of it as a monitor color test~! (´∀`)