OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:51 am

http://os2news.warpstock.org/

Never thought I'd see so much active development for a dead (and obscure) OS.

H/T Ace of Spades
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20112
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 pm

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Wow, that's a blast from the past!

Anyone else remember the OS/2 Warp TV ads?

I guess it falls into the category of "what you run if desktop BSD isn't obscure enough for you". :wink:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37513
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Captain Ned wrote:http://os2news.warpstock.org/

Never thought I'd see so much active development for a dead (and obscure) OS.

H/T Ace of Spades


I know it is scary but I did a switchover at one of the banks here just last year from OS/2 to linux.
Deanjo
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 pm

I used to run OS/2 (pre-Warp). It was much more powerful and stable than Windows was at the time.

Unfortunately, the lack of native software development and 3rd party adoption killed it. Paradoxically, its compatibility with Windows programs probably contributed to the lack of native development, although I don't see things happening differently if they hadn't included that feature, as IBM was just unable (or unwilling) to promote and grow the userbase.

Glad to see it's still around and kicking in its new guise.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Deanjo wrote:I know it is scary but I did a switchover at one of the banks here just last year from OS/2 to linux.

Still have 2 banks with old touch-tone telephone banking systems running OS/2. They just keep working and they don't dare touch them for fear of screwing things up. OS/2 was also the original OS of choice for on-line off-site ATMs.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 20112
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:00 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Voldenuit wrote:I used to run OS/2 (pre-Warp). It was much more powerful and stable than Windows was at the time.

Given that "pre-Warp" would've put you sometime before the release of Windows 95, "more powerful and stable than Windows" would've been a rather low bar!

If Microsoft had continued developing OS/2 instead of selling the rights to IBM maybe we wouldn't have been forced to live through the lost decade of "Windows on DOS".
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37513
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 pm

I didn't find that Windows 3.1 was unstable. Not nearly as unstable as the 9x kernel. It was only at the very end of life for Windows 95 that it became somewhat stable. Windows 98 was okay for a while as long as it was a fresh install, but it became crudded up over time and became very slow and buggy. I eventually switched to Windows 2000, which was very stable and flexible.
I wish I had gone to med school.
The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:11 am
Location: Louisiana

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:27 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:I used to run OS/2 (pre-Warp). It was much more powerful and stable than Windows was at the time.

Given that "pre-Warp" would've put you sometime before the release of Windows 95, "more powerful and stable than Windows" would've been a rather low bar!


Haha, true. Although I remember that when I "upgraded" to Win95, it still felt like a downgrade coming from OS/2.

What finally tipped me over back into Windos was the lack of native games and the headaches trying to get DOS/Windows games working with OS/2.
Wind, Sand and Stars.
Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
 
Posts: 2453
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:10 pm

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:44 pm

I have a blog article on this fiasco:
http://yuhongbao.blogspot.ca/2012/12/ab ... nd-dr.html
yuhong
Gerbil
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:I used to run OS/2 (pre-Warp). It was much more powerful and stable than Windows was at the time.

Given that "pre-Warp" would've put you sometime before the release of Windows 95, "more powerful and stable than Windows" would've been a rather low bar!

Haha, true. Although I remember that when I "upgraded" to Win95, it still felt like a downgrade coming from OS/2.

What finally tipped me over back into Windos was the lack of native games and the headaches trying to get DOS/Windows games working with OS/2.

Yeah, Win95/98/ME were still based on old tech; it really took the NT kernel to turn Windows into a real OS. Back in the Win98 days I had two systems -- one running NT 4 that I used for most things, and a Win98 system I used for gaming and accessing USB peripherals (since NT 4 did not have USB support). NT 4 with Service Pack 6a (yes they released a lot of service packs for that one) was a very solid -- albeit limited capability-wise compared to Win2K/XP -- OS.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37513
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:Wow, that's a blast from the past!

Anyone else remember the OS/2 Warp TV ads?

I guess it falls into the category of "what you run if desktop BSD isn't obscure enough for you". :wink:


I think QNX would probably win out on that category. I'm thinking actual commercially-produced OSs, not random projects like ReactOS or whatnot.

Or, god help you, DesqView/X!
Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil
 
Posts: 1028
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:57 pm
Location: Denver, CO.

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

BeOS R5, Amiga, or SkyOS. :)
Flatland_Spider
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:33 pm
Location: The 918/539

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:Back in the Win98 days I had two systems -- one running NT 4 that I used for most things, and a Win98 system I used for gaming and accessing USB peripherals (since NT 4 did not have USB support).

Interesting...I just stuck with dual-booting, and continued to do so through Win2k. NT4's drive-size limits were a bit of a pain to work around, IIRC, especially since I didn't have a slipstreamed Sp4 disc.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder
 
Posts: 5407
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:47 pm
Location: Sunny Colorado front range

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm

I used to run NT 4 on my trusty BP6 (95/98 didn't support SMP).. I really loved NT4, and OpenGL games ran great!

Back in the day I worked for IBM at their internet call-centre.. OS/2 machines.., I can't say I miss them much
i7-4790K-32Gb DDR3-1866-Zotac GTX 780ti -Samsung EVO 250GB- Samsung EVO 1TB
elmopuddy
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Postposted on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm

I played with OS/2 3.0 on a 486 for a time but was unimpressed with its driver support and its stability. I really wanted to like it too, partly because it was in the days of Microsoft's monopolistic practices coming to light.

More recently I obtained (yarr) Convenience Pack 2 of OS/2 4.52 & got it to run in Virtual PC. It'd improved a lot (such as not having every install medium being a gorram floppy, and defaulting to HPFS and long filenames) but not enough for me to keep it as anything but a curiosity, and IMO the UI is kind of weird.
Think for yourself, schmuck!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|1.5TB 7200.11|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45 & P880|Logitech MX 518|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX
bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
 
Posts: 3131
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:55 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri, USA


Return to General Software

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests