Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:51 am

http://os2news.warpstock.org/

Never thought I'd see so much active development for a dead (and obscure) OS.

H/T Ace of Spades
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: OS/2 is not dead yet and would like to go for a walk

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 pm

All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Wow, that's a blast from the past!

Anyone else remember the OS/2 Warp TV ads?

I guess it falls into the category of "what you run if desktop BSD isn't obscure enough for you". :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
http://os2news.warpstock.org/

Never thought I'd see so much active development for a dead (and obscure) OS.

H/T Ace of Spades

I know it is scary but I did a switchover at one of the banks here just last year from OS/2 to linux.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:19 pm

I used to run OS/2 (pre-Warp). It was much more powerful and stable than Windows was at the time.

Unfortunately, the lack of native software development and 3rd party adoption killed it. Paradoxically, its compatibility with Windows programs probably contributed to the lack of native development, although I don't see things happening differently if they hadn't included that feature, as IBM was just unable (or unwilling) to promote and grow the userbase.

Glad to see it's still around and kicking in its new guise.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:24 pm

Deanjo wrote:
I know it is scary but I did a switchover at one of the banks here just last year from OS/2 to linux.

Still have 2 banks with old touch-tone telephone banking systems running OS/2. They just keep working and they don't dare touch them for fear of screwing things up. OS/2 was also the original OS of choice for on-line off-site ATMs.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:36 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
I used to run OS/2 (pre-Warp). It was much more powerful and stable than Windows was at the time.

Given that "pre-Warp" would've put you sometime before the release of Windows 95, "more powerful and stable than Windows" would've been a rather low bar!

If Microsoft had continued developing OS/2 instead of selling the rights to IBM maybe we wouldn't have been forced to live through the lost decade of "Windows on DOS".

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 pm

I didn't find that Windows 3.1 was unstable. Not nearly as unstable as the 9x kernel. It was only at the very end of life for Windows 95 that it became somewhat stable. Windows 98 was okay for a while as long as it was a fresh install, but it became crudded up over time and became very slow and buggy. I eventually switched to Windows 2000, which was very stable and flexible.
I wish I had gone to med school.

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:27 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:

Given that "pre-Warp" would've put you sometime before the release of Windows 95, "more powerful and stable than Windows" would've been a rather low bar!

Haha, true. Although I remember that when I "upgraded" to Win95, it still felt like a downgrade coming from OS/2.

What finally tipped me over back into Windos was the lack of native games and the headaches trying to get DOS/Windows games working with OS/2.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

yuhong
Gerbil

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:44 pm

I have a blog article on this fiasco:
http://yuhongbao.blogspot.ca/2012/12/ab ... nd-dr.html

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:49 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:

Haha, true. Although I remember that when I "upgraded" to Win95, it still felt like a downgrade coming from OS/2.

What finally tipped me over back into Windos was the lack of native games and the headaches trying to get DOS/Windows games working with OS/2.

Yeah, Win95/98/ME were still based on old tech; it really took the NT kernel to turn Windows into a real OS. Back in the Win98 days I had two systems -- one running NT 4 that I used for most things, and a Win98 system I used for gaming and accessing USB peripherals (since NT 4 did not have USB support). NT 4 with Service Pack 6a (yes they released a lot of service packs for that one) was a very solid -- albeit limited capability-wise compared to Win2K/XP -- OS.

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Wow, that's a blast from the past!

Anyone else remember the OS/2 Warp TV ads?

I guess it falls into the category of "what you run if desktop BSD isn't obscure enough for you". :wink:

I think QNX would probably win out on that category. I'm thinking actual commercially-produced OSs, not random projects like ReactOS or whatnot.

Or, god help you, DesqView/X!

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

BeOS R5, Amiga, or SkyOS. :)

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Back in the Win98 days I had two systems -- one running NT 4 that I used for most things, and a Win98 system I used for gaming and accessing USB peripherals (since NT 4 did not have USB support).

Interesting...I just stuck with dual-booting, and continued to do so through Win2k. NT4's drive-size limits were a bit of a pain to work around, IIRC, especially since I didn't have a slipstreamed Sp4 disc.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

elmopuddy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:22 pm

I used to run NT 4 on my trusty BP6 (95/98 didn't support SMP).. I really loved NT4, and OpenGL games ran great!

Back in the day I worked for IBM at their internet call-centre.. OS/2 machines.., I can't say I miss them much
Gamer - i7-7700K, 16GB, GTX1060, 950 PRO, 840EVO

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm

I played with OS/2 3.0 on a 486 for a time but was unimpressed with its driver support and its stability. I really wanted to like it too, partly because it was in the days of Microsoft's monopolistic practices coming to light.

More recently I obtained (yarr) Convenience Pack 2 of OS/2 4.52 & got it to run in Virtual PC. It'd improved a lot (such as not having every install medium being a gorram floppy, and defaulting to HPFS and long filenames) but not enough for me to keep it as anything but a curiosity, and IMO the UI is kind of weird.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x