Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

win8 cant open access control editor display name clsid key

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:51 pm

SO! i took ownership of my c:\ and then ran ccleaner, and like a pro, didn't back up the registry, and now i lost the ability to open the access control editor. DO NOT DO THIS. YOU WILL LOSE SYSTEM CONTROL. i have no restore points to return to, either.

error is "can't open acess contorl editor. The activation requires a display name to be present under the CLSID key."

i am unable to change any access to anything. i can still run tasks as an administrator, but i can't take control of any additional folders. I have been unable to find any assistance with this issue, besides a FEW people who have had it, but they don't have a fix. I looked to check the group policy folder, but it's empty, so :(
i am unable to reset the ownership of the drive, i can't make any changes to any of the properties. is there a way to do this via command line, or any of you hunks know a way to fix it?

EDIT: WELL. i found a work around. the context menu "take ownership" still works, so i installed it, and took back the stuff i couldn't use. yay!

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: win8 cant open access control editor display name clsid

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:54 pm

I'm facepalming for you.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:08 am

thanks man. i was fine till ccleaner wrecked my party ;(

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:46 am

TrustedInstaller is supposed to own C:\.

Taking ownership of the drive was the first mistake.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:59 am

i know it is, but i don't want it to. it wasn't a mistake, i knew that before i started. I just didn't care. So maybe my first mistake was using computers?

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:31 am

Yeah, using computers is the mistake. ;)

Playing with that setting is like playing with TNT.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:11 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
i know it is, but i don't want it to. it wasn't a mistake, i knew that before i started. I just didn't care. So maybe my first mistake was using computers?

So wait... you *knew* this was an important system setting, changed it anyway, then got annoyed when it broke stuff? :roll: :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

relmerator
Gerbil In Training

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Consider the experience an opportunity to try out Win8's Refresh My PC or Restore My PC features....
Last edited by relmerator on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:26 pm

You'd never make it on a *nix machine. Those operating systems will /let/ you do stupid reckless things without making you jump through such hoops first.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:38 pm

bthylafh wrote:
You'd never make it on a *nix machine. Those operating systems will /let/ you do stupid reckless things without making you jump through such hoops first.

Heh... yeah, the canonical one is typing "rm -rf *" into the wrong terminal window! :lol: (For the non-*NIX folks, that is a recursive deletion of all files and folders from the current folder on down. If typed into a terminal window with root privilege at the top of the file system hierarchy, it will dutifully scour the entire system clean!)

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:16 pm

sweatshopking wrote:
like a pro, didn't back up the registry, and now i lost the ability to open the access control editor.
Real pros do back stuff up and have fall back plan. It is those amateurs thinking they are pros that don't.
(Is that sig worthy? :lol:)

just brew it! wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

Heh... yeah, the canonical one is typing "rm -rf *" into the wrong terminal window! :lol: (For the non-*NIX folks, that is a recursive deletion of all files and folders from the current folder on down. If typed into a terminal window with root privilege at the top of the file system hierarchy, it will dutifully scour the entire system clean!)

"rd /s /q" is the Windows equivalent. Epic! :D
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:58 pm

Flying Fox wrote:

"del /s /q" is another fun one.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:
You guys shouldn't be giving sweatshopking any more stupid ideas to try out. :roll:

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:28 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:

You guys shouldn't be giving sweatshopking any more stupid ideas to try out. :roll:

He seems to enjoy trashing his system. What's wrong with giving him a little help?

sweatshopking
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
He seems to enjoy trashing his system. What's wrong with giving him a little help?

I do enjoy it. i like messing it up, and then fixing it. it gives me something to do. it may surprise you, but i don't have that much going on. i take some moocs online, take care of my kids, and clean. a broken computer is a nice puzzle.
i wasnt mad about it either. i knew what i did to break it, and knew the consequences.

and i've mained linux for years. i'm reasonably familiar with it. not to the same level as I am on windows, which to be fair isn't that great, but it's certainly enough.