Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, JustAnEngineer

Bashiba
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Budget 3570K Build advice

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Thanks again for all the help, I ended up going to Microcenter, and spent more than I planned, lol.

My new system ended up being
I5 3570K
Asrock Pro 3 Motherboard
16gb Crucial Ballistick ram
250 Samsung 840 series SSD
Coolermaster EVO 212 cooler
also ended up upgrading GPU as well, EVGA GTX 660 SC - I probably should have went all in the with 660ti, but this one was only $199 so it should be more than enough horsepower for quite a while.

Plus I bought and I3 3225 and cheap motherboard combo and a samsung 840 120gb plus 8gbs of Ram as well to rebuild my wifes box as well. So it ended up being a $1000 trip.

I got my system all put together and it really screams, I love the crazy fast boot up times off the ssd. The only game I have played is skyrim, and it looks great and is running ultra smooth.

I didn't realize you can double the fans on the EVO, so I'm going to get another fan for it then maybe I will give it a little overclock.

So far though I couldn't be happier.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:46 pm

...Now install Crysis 3, max out all of in-game settings and make yourself sad again! :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Looks like you did a great job!
Bashiba wrote:
I got my system all put together and it really screams, I love the crazy fast boot up times off the ssd. The only game I have played is skyrim, and it looks great and is running ultra smooth.
Make sure you get a recent ENB mod and a texture mod! It'll improve the look of the game by leaps and bounds! d=(´▽`)

Bashiba wrote:
I didn't realize you can double the fans on the EVO, so I'm going to get another fan for it then maybe I will give it a little overclock.
You definitely need one of these! \( `.∀´)/

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:06 pm

auxy wrote:
Bashiba wrote:

Pfft... That's not nearly enough... I'd say get a small 48v power supply and go for this:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... EIFf7toLQ=
Better than watercooling! :wink: Plus "this one goes to eleven" (well, 11k RPMs) :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Bashiba
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:21 pm

auxy wrote:
Looks like you did a great job!
Bashiba wrote:
Make sure you get a recent ENB mod and a texture mod! It'll improve the look of the game by leaps and bounds! d=(´▽`)

Bashiba wrote:

Thanks for the mod tip, that was one of those things I didn't really think about. I re-loaded skyrim then tried it out only to realize I had to re install all mods. I have only done the SKSE and the UI so far, but will check it out. The game is almost unplayable without the UI mod.

Just played Diablo 3 for a couple minutes it runs great, but the re installing programs and managing all my data is getting old fast. I have been in need of a good purging of useless crap and consolidation of data, not fun but its coming along nicely. So far I have emptied one entire 640 gb hard drive and about have the other clean, boring but the perfect time to do it.

Any good cheap and quite fan suggestions for the evo?

Also is there any way I should be exploiting the I5's built in GPU? I'm only running 2 monitors, would there be anything to gain by running the smaller second one off that instead of the 660?

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm

Bashiba wrote:
Also is there any way I should be exploiting the I5's built in GPU? I'm only running 2 monitors, would there be anything to gain by running the smaller second one off that instead of the 660?
Ummm ... not really, but sorta. I run my two auxiliary monitors on my iGPU to save the buffer space in my GTX's very limited local memory. It's not a huge deal tho; you're talking maybe 40mbytes at most. ( =①ω①=)

That said, it made the difference between 2x MSAA and 4x MSAA on Skyrim. Hehe. (=`ェ´=)
Last edited by auxy on Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:52 pm

auxy wrote:
Bashiba wrote:
Ummm ... not really, but sort. I run my two auxiliary monitors on my iGPU to save the buffer space in my GTX's limited local memory. It's not a huge deal tho; you're talking maybe 40mbytes at most.

Heck, having test monitors laying around, I plugged three into my GTX670 and two into the 2500k, all over DVI/HDMI. No real problems to report, even while gaming on 30", mostly BF3 and Skyrim lately (without any real texture/world mods, yet).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Bashiba wrote:
Any good cheap and quiet fan suggestions for the evo?
There was a recent thread just for that question. It was also polluted with deliberately obnoxious trolling, but there are some helpful replies among the garbage:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86663
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:13 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
deliberately obnoxious trolling
。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:47 pm

auxy wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
deliberately obnoxious trolling
。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。

I prefer to use this image instead for cases like this:

:D