Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

RPG recomendations

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 am

I am looking for a new challenge. I have played Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect trilogy over and over and I am getting bored with them. I am looking for a RPG along the lines of Morrowind. I like a open world, lots of loot, the chance to build a central base/stronghold to keep my loot in. I am open to either Fantasy or Sci Fi based story line.

I have Oblivion but could not get into the game at all. Never finished it. I am considering Skyrim and the other Elder Scroll releases since Oblivion. Are these worth the money? Any other RPG's that might be what I am looking for?

esc_in_ks
Gerbil

Re: RPG recomendations

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:05 am

Khali wrote:
I have Oblivion but could not get into the game at all. Never finished it.

I was in the same boat, but bought Skyrim anyway and have really enjoyed it. I think the difference for me was that I bought the hint "book" (hint "tome" is more like it) for it at the recommendation of a friend. I never buy hint books, but did in this case because I generally only get to play video games once or twice a week due to "real life" getting in the way. When I sit back down, I have no idea what I was last doing. Now, I can just crack open the hint book, read back up, and am back into the game. Skyrim and Oblivion are massive games, so if you can't remember what you're supposed to be doing, you're kind of screwed.

To me, Skyrim is one of those games I'd take onto the proverbial desert island if I could only take three games. Hmm, not sure what the other two are. :-?

So, one vote for Skyrim from me.
Home: PC-D600, Seasonic 850 Titanium, Apex X299, 7940X @ 4.1 GHz, H115i, 32G DDR4 3200, 960 Evo 1T+500G, 850 EVO 1T, GTX 1080, U3818+2x U2515h, Linux, Win10
Work: Arc Midi, 650TX, P8Z77-V LK, 3770, 32G, 830 128G, 2x1TB, NVS 295, 2xU3014, Linux

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 am

Have you played the Fallout games? You'll probably be more interested in the more recent ones.

(Oblivion pwns. Wish you could get into it. Also Skyrim pwns.)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:19 am

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an excellent game. Have you tried Fallout 3 or The Witcher 2?
I highly recommend Guild Wars 2.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:20 am

I would say you're actually bored of the open world & Bioware.

So... you should try the Witcher / The Witcher 2.

Arcanum.

Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

etc.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:26 am

I like Fallout New Vegas with all the DLCs + the designer's personal mod here:
http://www.falloutwiki.com/JSawyer

Fallout 3 is also really good, but I find that I like NV's ruleset and UI a bit better. Also I'm doing my second playthrough of Skyrim and enjoying it still.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 am

My favorites are all very old tech now...

Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 1+2
Fallout 1+2

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:03 pm

No real base building, but it sounds like Borderlands might be up your alley. Definitely has lots of loot, and a big, open world. Most things are still mission based, but still plenty of fun to be had.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 pm

I have quite a few of the games mentioned. Some I have played all the way through and others did not hold my interest for one reason or another.

Fallout 3, lost interest once I got out of the bunker and into the larger world.
The Witcher, did not like the combat system.
Guild Wars 2, still play that from time to time. Was looking more for something off line where you don't need a whole army to get items and to finish epic quests.
Deus Ex Human Revolution, Started it and never finished. May give this one another look since I loved the first one of the series and found the second to be playable but not up to par compared to the first game.

I have a code to redeem for Borderlands 2 I got when I ordered my GTX 680. Will have to download that and give it a try. Been putting it off since I am stuck with slow DSL and it takes days to down load large games like that.

On the MMORPG front I have played many over the years. Right now I am dabbling with Guild Wars 2, Star Trek Online, and just recently started playing Star Wars The Old Republic. Most do not stack up to my all time favorite of Dark Age Of Camelot in its glory days when you had to pick one side and stick with it for Realm vs Realm combat.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:18 pm

Khali wrote:
I am looking for a new challenge. I have played Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect trilogy over and over and I am getting bored with them. I am looking for a RPG along the lines of Morrowind. I like a open world, lots of loot, the chance to build a central base/stronghold to keep my loot in. I am open to either Fantasy or Sci Fi based story line.

I have Oblivion but could not get into the game at all. Never finished it. I am considering Skyrim and the other Elder Scroll releases since Oblivion. Are these worth the money? Any other RPG's that might be what I am looking for?

ChronoTrigger on the super nes, mmmmmmmmmmmmm pure awesome
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:12 pm

Khali wrote:
Fallout 3, lost interest once I got out of the bunker and into the larger world.

So you played like the first thirty minutes?

IMO, you gotta give games more time than that.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Nah, I played for a couple of days doing various quests out in the ruins. Just got bored with it.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:59 pm

I like a open world, lots of loot, the chance to build a central base/stronghold to keep my loot in

Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga might be worth a look and satisfies the above criteria. It's not the most complex game in the sense that magic usage doesn't involve too much strategy and is more of an action RPG, but is pretty entertaining for a while anyway, as far as these go.

Should be able to get it pretty cheap on a Steam sale. (Edit: On Steam it's now sold as "Divinity II: Developer's Cut")

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Well, since you already disliked Fallout 3, your best choice is Skyrim - it's as "open" as it can get, you can have multiple "bases" to store your stuff in, there is a HUGE amount of mods for it available to improve or change basically every aspect of the game... The rest of the games like Witcher and Borderlands are much less "open" and more quest-driven, which can sometimes be somewhat annoying (I really disliked how I had to visit same areas several times in some quests in Borderlands 2, some of which requiring a lot of running/driving through annoying trash mobs).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:32 pm

I've always found the base RPG-7 to be very handy & versatile.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I would suggest you give Fallout:New Vegas a shot before discounting the franchise, it was made by a different developer using Bethesda's technology and so the gameplay is similar but the overall experience is a little different. I didn't care for FO3 but thought FONV was pretty good. Steam periodically puts it on sale for dirt cheap so it's worth at least having a go at it.

Borderlands is really good especially if you like loot--the weapons and whatnot are procedurally generated so there's an almost unlimited number of things you can find. It's a funny and highly stylized shooter, like if Quentin Tarantino made a Fallout game.

I like Skyrim but it's very similar to Oblivion, so if you didn't like Oblivion--especially modded Oblivion--you'd really just be getting more of the same. I liked Oblivion, so I enjoyed Skyrim.

X3:Terran Conflict is an awesome space sim, it hits all your points especially the building-stuff part but be aware that this is a very difficult game wth a lot of focus on economics and simulation, and story and immersion take a small back seat to the trade and combat elements. That said, I recommend it to anyone who's bored with stale AAA games because it's so different from the status quo, and anyone who likes space sims because it's a damn good space sim. Plus it looks incredible for being as old as it is, anything that lets you drive stick gets bonus points, and the 2.0 version can be had DRM free for about 15 bucks. They've got a new one coming out very soon that's supposed to be more RPGish and character-driven.

If you liked the first DX I totally recommend sticking with DX3, it really does the franchise justice and proves that at least someone out there is capable of doing a game that has an actual story with characters. Just don't expect lots of fancypants loot and open-worldness as it's an oldschool story RPG with a very nice coat of paint.

RAGE is...okay...but being an id game it's long on gory violence and short on everything else except disk space. I personally don't care for it, but it is the closest thing to a nihilistic Mad Max video game out there so if that's your thing I'd say go for it. Also, the vehicles were very well done and more fun than Borderlands.

I got Saints Row 3 in the THQ bundle and didn't think I'd like it as gangster games are not my thing, but it's so egregiously over the top I wound up having a ball. Not really an RPG but it's got that GTA/TES type open world with lots of random stuff to do, and due to the THQ situation it's not hard to find it on sale for next to nothing.

On the MMORPG side the only one I can think of that you might like is Eve-Online. And it's worth a try for anyone who cares about sci-fi games; it's not the uber-hardcore niche game it was in 2003 unless that's the playstyle you want. I'd love to see CCP Games do an offline game or three, they're a true maverick developer and one of the few that still takes the genre seriously.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:09 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I've always found the base RPG-7 to be very handy & versatile.

I like the way you think.

superjawes

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:56 pm

NovusBogus wrote:
Borderlands is really good especially if you like loot--the weapons and whatnot are procedurally generated so there's an almost unlimited number of things you can find. It's a funny and highly stylized shooter, like if Quentin Tarantino made a Fallout game.
That...seems oddly accurate...

I got Saints Row 3 in the THQ bundle and didn't think I'd like it as gangster games are not my thing, but it's so egregiously over the top I wound up having a ball. Not really an RPG but it's got that GTA/TES type open world with lots of random stuff to do, and due to the THQ situation it's not hard to find it on sale for next to nothing.
Sucks that Darksiders is basically gone now that THQ is toast, but Volition will continue on, and I'd say they deserve it after Saints Row 3. Basically they took all the fun stuff out of GTA and ran with it, so while GTAIV was busy being all dark and serious, the Saints were running around being all sorts of ridiculous. <3

DEFINITELY give Saints Row 3 a shot.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:03 pm

Oh gods yes. As the others said, SR3 is what GTA4 should have been - lose all the serious junk and keep the fun bits, then turn the fun and silliness up to 11. If anything it reminds me of GTA: San Andreas.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

superjawes

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 am

bthylafh wrote:
Oh gods yes. As the others said, SR3 is what GTA4 should have been - lose all the serious junk and keep the fun bits, then turn the fun and silliness up to 11. If anything it reminds me of GTA: San Andreas.

And just to be more awesome, the mayor of Steelport is Burt f***ing Reynolds.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:52 am

bthylafh wrote:
SR3 is what GTA:San Andreas might evolve to... given enough time, incest and illegal narcotics. There were some fun missions in GTA:SA. There are nothing but fun missions in SR3. :)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

dmjifn
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 am

Khali wrote:

I lost interest in Fallout 3 when I found the naughty nightwear. Decided it was a good place to quit that game session. Then just never really wanted to go back.

If you like jrpg style games, Septerra Core's interesting (for a while) if a little old. It'd be some variety in your game diet, anyway!

Wasteland 2 is supposed to be out in October if you can wait.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 am

dmjifn wrote:
Khali wrote:

I lost interest in Fallout 3 when I found the naughty nightwear. Decided it was a good place to quit that game session. Then just never really wanted to go back.

That's an... odd... reason.
Hakkaa päälle!

dmjifn
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:34 pm

bthylafh wrote:
dmjifn wrote:
I lost interest in Fallout 3 when I found the naughty nightwear.
That's an... odd... reason.
Eh, I'm not saying that's necessarily the reason. My enchantment with the world had already been waning. I'd missed the room and ended up spending a lot of time scouring those stupid tunnels. When I got back to the surface right after that, I just didn't feel like humping it back over the map again.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:20 pm

You can alwyas use cheats to skip annoying parts of the game or speed up the travel time if you get annoyed by this particular aspect of the game :wink: I admit, I did use some of these in some parts of FO3... But the ending was worth waiting for - one of the best endings I've seen in the games (much better than ME3's crap).

"Obstruction detected, composition: titanium alloy supplemented by photonic resonance barrier. Probability of mission hindrance: zero percent!" (I love how teh Optimus Prime puts an emphasis on the "zero percent" part when he speaks this sentence) :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Geez, no recommendations for Japanese games?!ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ And a bunch of recommendations for games that aren't RPGs in even the broadest sense...
I mean come on guys, I love SR3, but he DID ask for RPGs... (ノдヽ)
The number one game I'd recommend is Dark Souls. It's truly amazing -- it's one of my favorite games of all time. Structured action combat with an emphasis on timing and distance, highly flexible "do-anything" level-up system, memorable characters, and a surprisingly emotional story add up to an incredible experience. It's also very old-school in a sense; it's brutally difficult, and very little is explained -- there's very little structure to the game flow; you can more or less go anywhere and do anything, with the exception of a few areas that are plot-gated. It has a lot in common with the game Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, if you're familiar with that one -- another recommendation, although it's console-only and quite dated at this point. (PS2 & Xbox) Just make sure if you play Dark Souls on PC that you get DSfix, which is a mod that enables higher resolutions and anti-aliasing.

Allow me to throw another vote to Skyrim, an excellent game, although I have a hard time seeing how someone could like Skyrim and not Oblivion. If you have the hardware, a nice 2K texture pack, RCRN, and ENBSeries can make the game look stunningly realistic.

You could enjoy Neverwinter Nights, though it's quite dated, and the sequel, Neverwinter Nights 2, which is markedly less dated visually although still quite dated in terms of gameplay. Still, NWN2 has a large game world with a lot to do, and partway through the game you do in fact acquire a castle which you can customize to your liking as a base for you and your merry band of miscreants. There's also the Knights of the Old Republic series, although I hate Star Wars personally.

No love for the Fable series? The first and third games are on PC; Fable III in particular is fairly awesome, although the hardware requirements are quite steep.

You should also give a try to FTL, although it's as much strategy game as RPG.

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is also very impressive for its time, although I STRONGLY suggest you get one of the fan-made community patches, as the people who made it were not the most technologically-savvy developers, and they broke up shortly after the game was released (I hesitate to say "completed"), leaving it in a bit of a sorry state. The fanmade "patches" clean things up nicely, though.
Actually, that advice applies to a lot of the older games in this list.

For MMORPGs, you should try TERA Online, Dragon Nest, Vindictus, and Rusty Hearts. All are free-to-play action-MMORPGs of Asian origin (mostly Korean), and all are a blast.
TERA Online is a more traditional open-world MMORPG not unlike World of Warcraft or EverQuest, but with action combat.
Dragon Nest is similar, but all combat takes place in instanced areas.
Vindictus and Rusty Hearts are a little more simplistic, with an open town area and instanced battle areas; Vindictus is Source-engine and very pretty with a more realistic style, whereas Rusty Hearts is cel-shaded and very anime.
All four are fantastic games and worthy of at least a try; be wary though that since they are free-to-play games, the community can be lacking.

bluepiranha
Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:02 pm

dmjifn wrote:
If you like jrpg style games, Septerra Core's interesting (for a while) if a little old. It'd be some variety in your game diet, anyway!

I remember playing this back in the day. The concept is interesting and the story's okay, but for its time, it showed that Western developers still had a ways to go before they matched the battle systems of real JRPGs, IMHO. It's a bit of a grind, but still enjoyable and a good JRPG-style effort nonetheless.

Just glad to know that there's someone who played Septerra Core and enjoyed it.

If you're into strategy RPGs, Front Mission 4 (PS2) is pretty good. Graphics and story are a bit dull, but the turn-based combat is really satisfying when you can wrap your head around linked/"gang-up" attacks.
Ad astra per aspera.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 pm

auxy wrote:
And a bunch of recommendations for games that aren't RPGs in even the broadest sense...

Depends on how one defines the term, most games these days incorporate some roleplaying elements but don't go full Baldur. I would argue that from a gameplay and mechanics standpoint GTA and Saints Row are very similar to Skyrim and Mass Effect (which he seemed to like), better or worse these are considered mainstream RPGs.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:07 pm

Last edited by JohnC on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superjawes

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:22 pm

auxy wrote:
Geez, no recommendations for Japanese games?!ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ And a bunch of recommendations for games that aren't RPGs in even the broadest sense...
Saints Row 3 has a lot of RPG elements...and that's really where RPGs (outside of JRPGs) are going. Those elements make games more compelling. It really just depends on which elements you want to get the most out of. If you want a huge world where you can find hundreds of lore rabbit holes, SR3 is probably not a good choice. If you mainly want some leveling with customization, SR3 is better. All based on what you need.

Although if you REALLY want lots of loot, base building, open world, and fantasy, I don't think it can get any better than Minecraft :lol:

Seriously, though, it does meet the requirements.