Gerbil
Topic Author

Bing vs. Google

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:16 pm

Go to bingiton.com.

Clever girl...

Google is still better.

(commence velociraptor noises here)
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
-Bill Gates

boing
Gerbil XP

Re: Bing vs. Google

Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:36 am

Huh?

I only get redirected to bing.com.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 am

Black Applesauce wrote:
Google is still better.

Of course it is. Not sure why you post this under "General Hardware", though :-?
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:02 am

I've been seeing the commercials all over TV. Google is far, far better than Bing once you search for anything beyond the mainstream "lady gaga" or whatever.

boing
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 am

Could someone explain to me what this thread is about, except trolling? When I go to bingiton.com I get redirected to bing.com. What's the purpose of this thread?

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:14 am

boing wrote:
Could someone explain to me what this thread is about, except trolling? When I go to bingiton.com I get redirected to bing.com. What's the purpose of this thread?

The site is supposed to be a "blind" side-by-side comparison of google and bing. You enter a term, you get two sets of results, you pick which looks the best over 5 searches, then at the end they tell you which ones you picked - who "won".

I tried some of the obscure stuff I've been dealing with at work, and they tied (2v2, with one draw). Anti-climatic.
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:21 am

Something must be wrong for you, boing; when I go to Bing It On, it opens a webpage with a search box that invites you "blind" test Bing & Google's search results side-by-side. I put quotation marks around the "blind" since the website does a poor job of sanitizing the search outputs; for example, when I put in my make of cellphone-telephone, one side had a list of "Shopping" search results at the top, followed by normal links, making it obvious that side was Google. Or when i put in "Mazda" it put in a mini-map showing the location of Mazda dealerships near Redmond, WA, using Bing's blue circles with white numbers for makers, rather than Google's reddish-pink markers with black letters.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:41 am

DreadCthulhu wrote:
Something must be wrong for you, boing; when I go to Bing It On, it opens a webpage with a search box that invites you "blind" test Bing & Google's search results side-by-side. I put quotation marks around the "blind" since the website does a poor job of sanitizing the search outputs; for example, when I put in my make of cellphone-telephone, one side had a list of "Shopping" search results at the top, followed by normal links, making it obvious that side was Google. Or when i put in "Mazda" it put in a mini-map showing the location of Mazda dealerships near Redmond, WA, using Bing's blue circles with white numbers for makers, rather than Google's reddish-pink markers with black letters.

They shouldn't be doing anything to "sanitize" the results. Who cares if you pick Bing or Google when it doesn't display the results you'd get from an actual search? They have to leave it like it is or else this little test would be completely flawed. You're just supposed to pick which one you like better, and obviously if you already know which you like better and that particular search engine's characteristics then you're probably not the target for this.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:46 am

DancinJack wrote:
They shouldn't be doing anything to "sanitize" the results. Who cares if you pick Bing or Google when it doesn't display the results you'd get from an actual search? They have to leave it like it is or else this little test would be completely flawed. You're just supposed to pick which one you like better, and obviously if you already know which you like better and that particular search engine's characteristics then you're probably not the target for this.

Almost everyone is going to have at least *some* pre-conceived notion of which one is better. If not from personal experience, then from anecdotal evidence (family, friends, co-workers, etc.)results you'd get from an actual search? They have to leave it like it is or else this little test would be completely flawed. You're just supposed to pick which one you like better, and obviously if you already know which you like better and that particular search engine's characteristics then you're probably not the target for this.[/quote]
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:09 am

Off a little this morning on your code I see. More coffee for JBI.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:25 am

I think JBI is getting at it - just look at the commercials. They're targeting people who use Google just because, those who wouldn't necessarily know that the side with shopping results or what-not is the Google side. If they did modify the results, it would completely ruin the test, as well as bring on an uproar over modified results skewing the test (whether it did or not).

Microsoft seems to have a pretty competent search engine at this point, they just need to overcome "googling" to compete.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:04 pm

This is brilliant marketing for Microsoft.

If you get better results, it makes them look good. If you get better results from Google, you've also handed them the prescription for how you perceive their results should be. Win-win.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:39 pm

must be geolocked. I saw a banner for it at the top and all I got was bing in the end.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:22 pm

Between this, scroogled, Surface/WinRT and some ongoing patent issues MS has declared all-out war on Google. I guess that's the only way to overcome their cultural ubiquity, though.

Khali
Gerbil XP

Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 am

I find I like Bing better. With Google I get all kinds of results that have nothing to do with what I was searching for to start with. With Bing its not as bad and the odd ball results tend to be four or five pages after things that are related to what I was searching for.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Black Applesauce wrote:
Go to bingiton.com.

Clever girl...

Google is still better.

(commence velociraptor noises here)

Having never seen Jurassic Park until the other day (awful movie), I didn't get this, and so I found random velociraptor noises to be really funny.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun May 19, 2013 1:13 pm

auxy wrote:
Having never seen Jurassic Park until the other day (awful movie), I didn't get this, and so I found random velociraptor noises to be really funny.

lol what? Awful?

Black Applesauce
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2013 2:13 pm

DancinJack wrote:
auxy wrote:

lol what? Awful?

Yeah it's pretty bad...

The book is great though. Michael Crichton is awesome.
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
-Bill Gates

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun May 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Black Applesauce wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
auxy wrote:

lol what? Awful?

Yeah it's pretty bad...

The book is great though. Michael Crichton is awesome.

Other than the Lord of the Rings series, I don't think there has been a "good" book-to-movie adaptation. I've never read Jurassic Park, so can't compare but I always thought the movie was a good and enjoyable viewing experience. Yes, it will fail when compared against the book, but as a stand-alone movie I thought it was quite good.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun May 19, 2013 11:56 pm

The Hunt for Red October is one of the few movies that I have seen after reading the book that I thought was as good, while not being completely faithful to the original.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 20, 2013 12:10 am

Without trying to skew my results, and without paying too much attention to formatting/layout tricks, I picked Google over Bing 4-1.

Now the philosophical part comes in: Do I prefer Google results because they more closely provided the search results I wanted, or did I want certain search results because I thought Google would provide those? I know I've confused/upset people on a number of occasions by listening to what they are looking for and then spitting out a very short, clean list of keywords that provide exactly the results they wanted, often after they spent quite some time on their own, fruitlessly...
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 20, 2013 12:26 am

Forge wrote:
spitting out a very short, clean list of keywords that provide exactly the results they wanted, often after they spent quite some time on their own, fruitlessly...

I think Google's recent (in the last year or so) changes have made it less precise. It used to be that I could type in search terms and find exactly what I wanted, but now Google gives me results that are close to the words that I entered rather than the specific terms (I know I can put quotes around a term to force an exact match).

All and all, I think Google is feeling pressure from other search competitors (e.g., Bing) and is modifying Google to make it more user friendly in a way that actually makes doing technical searches harder.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon May 20, 2013 1:28 am

Forge wrote:
I know I've confused/upset people on a number of occasions by listening to what they are looking for and then spitting out a very short, clean list of keywords that provide exactly the results they wanted, often after they spent quite some time on their own, fruitlessly...

IMO, being optimally effective with Google (or any search engine, for that matter) still requires some degree of intuitive "feel" for how your chosen search engine works. And this may be why so many long-time Google users hate Bing -- it's just *different*.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

TheBrominator
Gerbil In Training

Tue May 21, 2013 10:48 am

I still prefer google, but bing has some pluses. It just doesn't have that recognition of google imo.