Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Moving to an EVF - Anyone else done this?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:50 pm

So, I'm selling my a560 dslr and moving to an a65 dslt. The reason for this is because the light penalty doesn't bother me for my shooting, but I really want the auto-focus for movies. Plus, the move from 14 to 24 megapixels is highly exciting to me for cropping down wildlife photos. Anyone else moved to an EVF (Electronic View Finder) from an Optical View Finder even a point and shoot?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Re: Moving to an EVF - Anyone else done this?

Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:58 pm

I just bought a Fuji X-E1 and a 60mm Macro for it. I come from Nikon film SLRs and I'm liking it a lot. Focus is slow in manual and they tell me autofocus is slow but I have been shooting my FM2 for ages and have no clue about autofocus. Seems to work fine really.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Nah, sticking with my 7D for the indefinite future. Did discover one problem though, you pretty much need ultrasonic lenses with IS disabled if you're shooting video with the built-in microphone, otherwise the audio track is a cacophony of hums and stutters. Fortunately I don't use video much, or I would have dumped a car's worth of money into lens upgrades by now.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm also quite satisfied with the EOS 7D for the time being.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

TheEmrys
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm

Got it today. Pretty amazed. With Sony's being in camera image stabilization, there really isn't any sort of noise issues. My lens of choice for video will be my 18-135 SAM (Smooth AF Motor) is going to be pretty perfect for movies.

As for the DSLT's... everything they say about AF speed is true. Its no wonder Sigma lenses can't handle the strain (lots of gears breaking). But my old minolta glass has been revitalized by the AF speed. Big Beercan and 500mm/8 have are both very snappy. I need to try my 70-200/4 and see how it does. It tended to hunt quite a bit on my a560.

Can't wait for some wildlife photo opportunities.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:09 pm

I had a 40D with a couple of primes and a 17-40L but sold all of it and bought an x100 a little while back because the 40D kit so large and heavy that I wasn't ever using it.

The X100 is much lighter, the pictures are on par with my 40D, and I carry it far more often.

I do sometimes miss some of the features of my 40D, but what good are features if you never use them?

TheEmrys
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:39 am

Well, just an update after using the EVF for a month or so. Here is my verdict: I can't go back to an OVF. I've found it to be far too useful. Here are the highlights:

1. Every in-camera adjustment I make, whether it is light balance, ISO, aperture.... the EVF reflects it in real-time. No more shoot, adjust, shoot, adjust. I just adjust, adjust, adjust shoot. The only thing that isn't reflected is flash compensation, but that may depend on my cheap Sigma flash. Just wow.

2. Its got a built in level. Front-back, as well as side to side. No more pictures with a unintended tilt to them.

3. Focus peaking is simply amazing.

Right now, I haven't experienced any drawbacks. But, wow. If anyone gets a shot at trying out a new Sony alpha, its worth experimenting with.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:23 am

I find that the OLED screen on those Sony EVFs can make the contrast look really unatural compared to an optical EVF. That said, the new Sony EVFs on the NEX and Alphas provide great functionality and is definitetley worth the trade off for most. And they still look great - it just takes a bit of getting used to. Focus peaking is pretty cool. Especially when shooting video and being able to use it on the fly while manually zooming in/out or panning, etc. Does the A65 also let you automatically track a subject while shooting video (so that, no matter where in the exposure, it also stays in focus)?

Voldenuit

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 am

TheEmrys wrote:
Well, just an update after using the EVF for a month or so. Here is my verdict: I can't go back to an OVF. I've found it to be far too useful.

Nice, welcome to the club :wink: .

I like having access to a live histogram on live view cameras (be they EVF or LCD), especially if you're shooting creatively, it's good to know where the peaks and troughs are before you take the shot (although not all cameras accurately reflect the RAW output in the live histo).

Live view still has some lag, so will never be as immediate as an optical viewfinder. Depending on one's style of photography and subject matter, this may never be a problem. and they're getting better.

Still using my GF1, would be nice to upgrade to something more modern, but real life expenses keep getting in the way. Glad you're enjoying your SLT.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

TheEmrys
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:29 am

cynan wrote:
I find that the OLED screen on those Sony EVFs can make the contrast look really unatural compared to an optical EVF. That said, the new Sony EVFs on the NEX and Alphas provide great functionality and is definitetley worth the trade off for most. And they still look great - it just takes a bit of getting used to. Focus peaking is pretty cool. Especially when shooting video and being able to use it on the fly while manually zooming in/out or panning, etc. Does the A65 also let you automatically track a subject while shooting video (so that, no matter where in the exposure, it also stays in focus)?

I agree on the contrast, but (for me at least) contrast is one of the easiest things to fix in PP. When I get WB off... I struggle in PP.

And yes, the A65 has Object Tracking. Works for both video and stills. I didn't really understand the need for it in stills... till I snapped a few shots of a friend at a race. Made complete sense then. For sports stills its amazing. I get tremendous DOF possible for sports now without having to commit to a focus zone.

TheEmrys
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:31 am

Voldenuit wrote:
I like having access to a live histogram on live view cameras (be they EVF or LCD), especially if you're shooting creatively, it's good to know where the peaks and troughs are before you take the shot (although not all cameras accurately reflect the RAW output in the live histo).

I LOVE the histogram in the EVF.

Actually, I think I've figured out why I like it the most. The EVF and all the data and previewing allows me to shoot beyond my skill. While I don't know necessarily how to assess a situation, I can see and adjust to get to where I am happy without a bunch of wasted shots that I may regret later.

Slinky
Gerbil

Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 pm

I'm thinking of getting an Olympus OMD. It has an EVF that looked pretty slick in the store. I am amazed that the EVF packs 1.4 Megapixles into such a tiny space running at 120Hz. Makes me laugh that the big 3 inch screen on the back is only 0.6 Megapixles tho.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue May 14, 2013 9:42 pm

For those with Canon DSLRs- Magic Lantern gives you most (maybe all?) of the functionality of an EVF on the back screen. Focus peeking, in particular, is quite nice!

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Tue May 14, 2013 10:08 pm

I love the EVF in my OM-D because it makes operating the camera so smooth. All the advanced controls you'd access in the SCP (Super Control Panel) on the back screen can be displayed using the same layout in the EVF. I also like the real time feedback an EVF gives you, for instance when adjusting white balance or exposure compensation. It would be very hard for me to go back to a traditional OVF.

That said... the EVF in the OM-D is not perfect. There is a bit of grain in low light situations (talking at night or in a dark venue in particular). I will say it could also stand to be a bit sharper. 1.44M dots may sound like a lot but the sharpness isn't quite there yet. I need to check out the latest Sony NEX model to see how big of an improvement 2.4M dots offers.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Tue May 14, 2013 10:11 pm

After a couple of months and a few thousand frames I am very pleased with my Fuji X-E1. The EVF is just fine for my purposes, maybe a bit slow for action stills, but is sharp and useful. There is a diopter adjustment and it has wide enough range for my naked eye, fairly short sight, and with glasses. That is quite a ways.

My Nikon FM2 was a full SLR but I don't think it had a more useful viewfinder than my Fuji. I can run the focus field back and forth over a position quite well and I have noticed no problems getting what I want sharp.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."