Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

My modded SG02 (Aluminum)

Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am

I posted my work on hardforum a while back but I'm pretty proud of what I was able to accomplish with this mod. It may not be the prettiest mod, but I won't lie to you and say I don't like showing my work around. :)

But more than that, viewing some of the mods on hard forum gave me the inspiration and confidence to do my own. We don't really have much of a modding community here (though, drfish's build log was a fun read) but maybe we can start a new trend here.I'm hoping at least this can inspire someone to go off and do their own thing if they've been thinking about it.

If you're new to modding, keep in mind that I did this all with my Dad's old jigsaw, a 19V drill, a manual rivet gun, some metal files and a non-Dremel rotary tool in a one bedroom apartment. If I can mod then so can anybody! It also helped that after I screwed up my first modding attempt I was able to get another SG02 on the cheap. :D

The focus of this modification was to get all of the things I currently had in my Antec 900 into a mATX cube case (with the exception of an ATX motherboard) with acceptable temperatures. You can get a better idea of what the original, unmodded SG02* looked like here: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Silv ... G02/4.html

* I purchased the aluminum version which has a slightly different layout to the steel one. I think this mod would still work on the steel one but it would involve a lot more work.

The Shell

Just some key points here:
  • Heightened the opening for the power supply vent to accommodate a 140mm fan.
  • Not shown is the hard drive cage which now stands upright over the 80mm fan grill I drilled into the bottom (see finished pictures below)
  • Cut the 5.25" tray in half. Flipped it over, cut an opening in the center, and placed it on the bottom to allow the PSU to sit on it
  • Cut out for the PSU power line on the rear

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Finished
Specs:
  • i7 2600K
  • Asus Gene Z
  • 2 x 4GB 1600 Kingston RAM
  • Auzentech X-Fi Forte
  • 1TB Samsung
  • 120GB AData SSD
  • Sony ODD
  • Notcua NH-U12P SE2
  • Radeon 6870
  • Seasonic x650

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: My modded SG02 (Aluminum)

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Ryhadar wrote:
I'm hoping at least this can inspire someone to go off and do their own thing if they've been thinking about it. (and also the rest of the post)
Very impressive work! Good job! (; `ェ´ ;)b三b

O-oh, you want me to do it myself? (;゙°´ω°´)

I'll b-be busy that day. Um, w-washing my hair. (`ー´)

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Not bad at all.

I had grand vision for some mITX mods, but I was unfortunately distracted by IRL requirements.
The best I can manage is 6 drives, a C2Q and a 7850 in a GD04, which is a mod only by virtue of hot-glueing an old drive cage into some empty space and anal zip-tag discipline with the resulting cable-spaghetti.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:25 pm

<Zoidberg>Hooray! People Are Paying Attention to Me!</Zoidberg>

Seriously though, really nice little mod, you took it a long way and with about the same tool set I am limited by, impressive creativity. 8)

Just one more reason for me to get down to a single GPU, I can covert my system to miniITX (though there are a couple nice Micro-ATX cases out there too).