Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

The place for all kinds of software for all kinds of operating systems.

Moderator: Dposcorp

Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi folks, hoping to get a quick answer as I was curious, I bought the Win 8 upgrade to upgrade from Win 7.

My question is, which would be the best way of doing this, do a fresh install of Win 8, which is my plan then upgrade to Win 8 after I have done the service pack and all updates on Win 7.

Or, just install win 7 and upgrade right away to win 8, I'm guessing in both instances I should avoid installing any drivers or programs until I get win 8 installed.


Thanx
credible
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

There are ways to do a "clean instal" of Win8 upgrade, without installing Win 7 first. Just Google for "windows 8 upgrade clean install"...
My subscription allows you people to exist on this site and makes me a better human being than you'll ever be
JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:08 pm
Location: NY/NJ/FL

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

The standard upgrade requires that Win7 (or other valid OS) was installed and Win8 install is started from within Win7.

If you start from booting from CD the system complains the license key entered is not valid at activation. REALLY MS??? what if I want to clean my PC with a fresh install... why do you wait till the end and activation to complain?

But the install from within Win7 has the option of "Clean" install or "keep programs and files" or just "keep files".
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm
Location: Gerbil-land, Canada

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Interesting posts and info guys, ty kindly I'll start reading again and yes I vaguely recall the option of a "clean install" just not sure how clean that would be, I like to write zeroes or whatever that method is to my ssd first before doing a fresh install.
credible
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

credible wrote:Interesting posts and info guys, ty kindly I'll start reading again and yes I vaguely recall the option of a "clean install" just not sure how clean that would be, I like to write zeroes or whatever that method is to my ssd first before doing a fresh install.

For SSD that would be secure erase.
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber
 
 
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm
Location: Gerbil-land, Canada

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Arvald wrote:
credible wrote:Interesting posts and info guys, ty kindly I'll start reading again and yes I vaguely recall the option of a "clean install" just not sure how clean that would be, I like to write zeroes or whatever that method is to my ssd first before doing a fresh install.

For SSD that would be secure erase.


Yes, thats the one, I use a parted magic disc, is it really needed, ie: is that the best way or safest practice for re-installing windows on an ssd.


Ty
credible
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:54 pm

I was surprised how easy it was to I upgrade to 8 (from 7). After I installed classic shell and reclaimed my familiar workspace there were some programs that had problems with the upgrade (steam and office for two). After a month and a half I am glad I made a window 7 image before my upgrade.

For another install, I used a clean install method that involves using the [settings, change PC settings, General] "refresh your pc without affect your files" option after the first install that works really well. It worked for me even after a mistakenly tired to register my (clean installed) upgrade copy right after the first install. After I ran the "refresh your pc without affect your files" I installed the os again and blamo, I registered successfully. (I scrapped this install too. But it worked, just so you know.)
d@mn'd
Gerbil
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:07 pm

credible wrote:Yes, thats the one, I use a parted magic disc, is it really needed, ie: is that the best way or safest practice for re-installing windows on an ssd.


Ty


Secure erase isn't needed.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3598
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
credible wrote:Yes, thats the one, I use a parted magic disc, is it really needed, ie: is that the best way or safest practice for re-installing windows on an ssd.


Ty


Secure erase isn't needed.


Ty and all went well folks, ty for the help:)
credible
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Postposted on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:19 am

Ha, one can't eat Thank You's but it does feed the soul.

That's all it takes to satisfy a bruised physic and justify giving help.
Image
oldDummy
Gerbil XP
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 315
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:19 am
Location: right coast


Return to General Software

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests