Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

New 2014 Jeep Cherokee design - hot or not?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:18 pm

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/02/28/gill ... temporary/

:o

Looks like Fiat didn't get into enough "ugliest cars of all time" lists with their 1998 Fiat Multipla:

Now they want to do it again, only using Jeep's models instead :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

adampk17
Gerbil XP

Re: New 2014 Jeep Cherokee design - hot or not?

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:36 pm

I think the headlights are a bit too squinty. Other than that I think it looks pretty nice.
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

Core i7-8086K | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB 3200 | SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G| Corsair CX750M PSU

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:46 pm

This is what happens when a Land Rover Evoque and a Pontiac Aztek are given some unsupervised time in the dark.

In spite of that, the design almost works. There's something in the headlight layout that doesn't quite do the trick.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:17 pm

The body is a Audi Q5/7 design. The front is something a dog vomited up.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 pm

I don't love it, but it's better than the Liberty(probably one of the worst vehicles jeep has made) it's replacing.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Ugh, cars/suv's are all sporting the same look nowadays. Go back to the Grand Wagoneer style of the late 80's / 90's. Better yet bring back the Classic Cherokee with the inline fuel injected 6 with vinyl floors and drain plugs so I can hose out the interior of all the mud when I'm done playing. The same could be said for Ford, bring back the 1st gen Bronco with a modern chassis and drive train and sell it for 25k and I bet they couldn't keep up with demand.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

Scrotos
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:36 pm

Reminds me of a Mazda CX7. I like the CX7. I don't really like this. It's not the worst I've seen but it's kinda generic for a company that made very blocky purpose-built vehicles.

Have an S10 Blazer, the wife loves Jeep as a brand but even she is thinking Nissan Xterra as it seems more like the hose-off-the-inside practical kind of thing.

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:25 pm

It's okay I guess.

I own a 2013 Ford Escape. There are several Crossover's in this category, and they all look very similar.

Honda CRV
Hyundai Santa Fe
Ford Escape / Mazda CX5
Kia Sportage

Hard to tell them apart sometimes.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:59 pm

Not. Not hot at all.

It reminds me of the Isuzu Vehicross.

This follows the trend of Jeep producing a good looking Grand Cherokee then producing one that is incredibly ugly.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:43 am

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Heh. I have friends who are pretty serious off-roaders who had a turbocharged Vehicross. It was pretty slick, actually.

They sold it after a few years. "The best vehicle I never drove." is how they described it.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:29 am

Wow, that's hideous. It's like they had 4 different designs and couldn't decide so just smashed them all together.

And one reason vehicles look more similar is because of aerodynamics to increase fuel efficiency. Can't get around the basic physics. It's always been sort of true, with some outliers, because of styling trends too.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:40 am

That Jeep looks like it has two mouths.

Definitely NOT hot...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 pm

What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:13 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:
Heh. I have friends who are pretty serious off-roaders who had a turbocharged Vehicross. It was pretty slick, actually.

They sold it after a few years. "The best vehicle I never drove." is how they described it.

My girlfriend's older brother and sister-in-law have this car. They use it in the winter because both of the enthusiast cars they drive (Camaro and 'vette) don't cut it. It's... alright. If it were me, I'd sell the damn thing (they've easily sank thousands of extra $ in it for repairs) but they won't because it's a special edition or something. I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it. :P

Anyway, I didn't have a problem with the new look until I pulled up pictures of the 2002 Cheap Grand Cherokee my family had. Compared to that, it looks ugly. In a vacuum it's "meh".

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:30 pm

When aerodynamics trumps all else, we get the 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

Time to go back to the 80s, when trucks LOOK like trucks, and Jeeps LOOK like Jeeps.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm

I wonder if the average Grand Cherokee buyer is even male these days. Men who have that kind of money and want a Jeep-type vehicle already own either a modded Wrangler, or an FJ Cruiser.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm

ludi wrote:
I wonder if the average Grand Cherokee buyer is even male these days. Men who have that kind of money and want a Jeep-type vehicle already own either a modded Wrangler, or an FJ Cruiser.

...Wrangler will be next for re-design with this "contemporary new looks" :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

continuum
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:55 pm

The front grill looks... odd. It might work, it might not. It's so distracting though, that it gets me to completely forget about the extremely, hideously ugly headlights.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 pm

riviera74 wrote:

Time to go back to the 80s, when trucks LOOK like trucks, and Jeeps LOOK like Jeeps.

As soon as CAFE is repealed, we can.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

kvndoom

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 pm

It's busy, but I don't think it's ugly. If women like it, it will sell. This segment is marketed to females anyway. Jeep isn't really a man's brand anymore.

You want polarizing? We just got a Nissan Juke. :o

You want POLARIZING? Wait till the next Mustang is revealed. People are going to spontaneously explode over that one.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
riviera74 wrote:

As soon as CAFE is repealed, we can.

I think it's a little bit too late for that :wink: Even if it will be repealed - I don't think manufacturers will switch back to higher displacement naturally aspirated engines, less aerodynamic body styles and hydraulic power steering since they have invested so much time and resources into current fuel efficiency-enhancing methods and since the price of oil has no good reason to drop but plenty of them to continue increasing :wink: But this is a discussion for different topic :wink:

Voldenuit

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:58 pm

Ryhadar wrote:
Darkmage wrote:
Flatland_Spider wrote:

My girlfriend's older brother and sister-in-law have this car. They use it in the winter because both of the enthusiast cars they drive (Camaro and 'vette) don't cut it. It's... alright. If it were me, I'd sell the damn thing (they've easily sank thousands of extra $ in it for repairs) but they won't because it's a special edition or something. I'm getting frustrated just thinking about it. :P

Love the Vehicross. It was very advanced for its time - extruded aluminum dampers, variable intake V6 and computer controlled 4WD. It also had some very nice touches - the cladding was designed for debris protection rather than for looks and the black plastic insert on the hood was put there to reduce glare.

It really was a limited edition, too. Body panels were built using ceramic dies that were quicker and cheaper to make but which wore out quicker than cast iron dies, and the entire run was intended to finish when the dies wore out.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Yea, Vehicross was pretty advanced car and had more "function" than the Cherokee... It was also more aesthetically pleasing (at least for me) to look at from any angle, especially in-person, regardless of its body color. And it didn't have such ugly "split stacked" headlight design like on this Jeep abomination and this one:

:wink:

kvndoom

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:36 pm

axeman wrote:
kvndoom wrote:
I bet that was a female influenced decision if there ever was one. That thing is next level FUGLY. It's probably a fine automobile, though. Good thing its too small for me to ever worry about my wife wanting one. She drives a GMC Sierra... :wink:

I was ambivalent on the looks. She always has loved it, but I never hated it either. The test drive sold us (as did the price we got). I love the shape of it, but I do wish the headlamps weren't so odd looking. But it drives like a charm (we got the 6MT SL trim), and is a fun little hot hatch with plenty of amenities.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:06 pm

The Juke isn't quite the oddest thing I've ever seen -- that honor goes to the Murano CrossCabriolet convertible SUV. First and only time I saw one on the road, I had a Simpsons moment ("Sorry, Grandpa, it's just that for a moment it looked like Dad had melted").

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 pm

JohnC wrote:
Yea, Vehicross was pretty advanced car and had more "function" than the Cherokee... It was also more aesthetically pleasing (at least for me) to look at from any angle, especially in-person, regardless of its body color. And it didn't have such ugly "split stacked" headlight design like on this Jeep abomination and this one:

:wink:

That abomination looked so bad, GM decided to kill that Aztek and build (for a while) the Buick Rendezvous up until about six years ago. Rendezvous: the apology for the Aztek.
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

jss21382
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:16 am

ludi wrote:

Grand Cherokee is predominantly male owned. The Commander was female owned, same with the liberty. Now, modded wranglers, I'd say they're a 50/50 split, females that can afford it want a big Jeep. The big split between sexes comes with powertrain choice. Hemi Jeeps are almost entirely male owned, v6 jeeps are owned by females and those that can't afford the hemi. When you get down to the 4 cylinder class, the boxier more Jeep looking Patriot was predominantly female owned, the compass was more male owned.

So, in the end, if it looks like a jeep, females are buying it. It it's newer looking males are buying it. Who knew females would be the ones keeping jeeps looking like jeeps.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585

TheEmrys

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Going back to the late 80's/early 90's, we had a saying that I had heard that I find is pretty consistently true: New Jeeps are for families, old Jeeps are for the outdoorsy folk. Shoot, the Wrangler with square headlights were liked by men and women (see: Clueless). However, since the Wrangler's haven't changed much since the CJ's, it was pretty easy to modify.

This new Jeep is just like all four-door Jeep's - its a family car for guys who want to cling to some illusion of machismo that they probably never had, but always aspired to. This vehicle is a great option for skiers, campers, and the urban folk who like to feel "outdoorsy."

The only 4 door Jeep that hasn't been designed for primary duty in a city is still the Wrangler X. Say what you will, its still a pretty dang capable off-roader.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:38 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
This new Jeep is just like all four-door Jeep's - its a family car for guys who want to cling to some illusion of machismo that they probably never had, but always aspired to. This vehicle is a great option for skiers, campers, and the urban folk who like to feel "outdoorsy."

You mean like pretty much every SUV ?