Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

IE10 for Windows 7 released

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 am

Link

Hit Windows Update/Microsoft Update for the new browser.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: IE10 for Windows 7 released

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 am

Nice!

I got tired of waiting for the final release so I downloaded the beta months ago. Been super stable and never had any issues with it at all. Off to download now. Thanks!
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Omniman
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:53 am

It's about time!Although, I will only use it sporadically but I'm curious to see it on Windows 7 compared to 8.
Intel i7-7700, MSI Trident, 32GB DDR4 2133mhz, Geforce 1060GTX, and Samsung Evo 1TB.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:00 am

I'm almost ready to give IE 10 a try given how much faster it is than Chrome on my Win8 (Atom) tablet. :o

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:12 pm

The only optional update available for me (Win 7 HP 64-bit w/ SP1) is the Bing Desktop, and I don't believe that I want that. Google did find this page, though:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/inte ... -languages
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Danbooru is broken in IE10, so it's a no-go for me.

Maxthon supports rendering with Webkit or Trident, so the slow speed of older Trident engine isn't really a problem for me anyway.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:10 pm

auxy wrote:
Danbooru is broken in IE10, so it's a no-go for me.

If that's what I found when I Googled it... *ahem*. :wink: Well, it seems to work OK in Chrome unless I'm missing something.

If there are other features of IE10 you find useful, it might be worthwhile to install it anyway, and have another browser for sites that don't "play nice" with it?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If that's what I found when I Googled it... *ahem*. :wink: Well, it seems to work OK in Chrome unless I'm missing something.
I-it's not what you think! (。 >艸<) It's just a site that catalogues anime/manga fanart. It happens to include a bunch of adult art, but that's just a coincidence; you can filter it all out by searching rating:safe or using safebooru. It works fine in Webkit and it mostly works in IE10, but certain parts of it (picture notes) don't.
just brew it! wrote:
If there are other features of IE10 you find useful, it might be worthwhile to install it anyway, and have another browser for sites that don't "play nice" with it?
Um, well, I mean, I don't really have any feature of it I found useful. I actually removed it -- as much as one can do without hacking Windows apart, which is uninstalling it from the add/remove Windows components dialog -- from my install.

Dieter
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:22 pm

Since upgrading my system to IE10, occasionally the fonts are messed up in Firefox. It seems that the ClearType is randomly corrupted on some text (not disabled, but wrong). If you highlight the text or if it changes due to JavaScript or something similar it instantly fixes itself. Scrolling the page does not fix it.

I'm running Firefox 19, and it was fine until I installed IE10, so I think they messed around with the subpixel rendering algorithms. I don't remember if Firefox uses their own or if they use MS's, but Firefox seems to be the only program affected so far. Crazy annoying, though.

Anybody else had similar issues? I have two other Win7 x64 systems I'd like to upgrade to IE10 (it fixes some MS enterprise software), but I'm going to hold off until the rendering issue is resolved.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Dieter wrote:
Anybody else had similar issues? I have two other Win7 x64 systems I'd like to upgrade to IE10 (it fixes some MS enterprise software), but I'm going to hold off until the rendering issue is resolved.
Maybe you should give a new browser a try? Maxthon Cloud Browser is a great lesser-known browser that supports both Webkit and Trident (IE) rendering engines. It's free (gratis, not libre), lightning-fast and supports all the latest web technology doohickeys. (・∀・)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Dieter wrote:
Since upgrading my system to IE10, occasionally the fonts are messed up in Firefox. It seems that the ClearType is randomly corrupted on some text (not disabled, but wrong). If you highlight the text or if it changes due to JavaScript or something similar it instantly fixes itself. Scrolling the page does not fix it.

I'm running Firefox 19, and it was fine until I installed IE10, so I think they messed around with the subpixel rendering algorithms. I don't remember if Firefox uses their own or if they use MS's, but Firefox seems to be the only program affected so far. Crazy annoying, though.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812695 ? Known issue, no proper fix yet...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:45 pm

JohnC wrote:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=812695 ? Known issue, no proper fix yet...
So helpful! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

I wish you could +1 people on the forums.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:07 pm

IE10 for Windows 7 required a Platform Update to work.

When you installed IE10 you got the platform update and the following items were updated:

• Direct2D
  • DirectWrite
  • Direct3D
  • Windows Imaging Component (WIC)
  • Windows Advanced Rasterization Platform (WARP)
  • Windows Animation Manager (WAM)
  • XPS Document API
  • H.264 Video Decoder
  • JPEG XR codec
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

Dieter
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:08 pm

JohnC wrote:

Yes, thank you!! Nice to know that I haven't gone (too) crazy!

Really hope they get this resolved soon, though. Major annoyance, and some text is unreadable.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:18 pm

auxy wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Um, well, I mean, I don't really have any feature of it I found useful. I actually removed it -- as much as one can do without hacking Windows apart, which is uninstalling it from the add/remove Windows components dialog -- from my install.

No problem, I haven't even tried IE10 yet myself (being primarily a Linux user). :lol:

Will probably load it on my Win7 VM at some point, just to see what's up. :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Dieter
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:22 pm

auxy wrote:
Maybe you should give a new browser a try? Maxthon Cloud Browser is a great lesser-known browser that supports both Webkit and Trident (IE) rendering engines. It's free (gratis, not libre), lightning-fast and supports all the latest web technology doohickeys. (・∀・)

It sounds familiar, and I want to say I tried it a long time ago (if I'm thinking of the same thing. The name certainly is unique). I only use IE as a necessary evil for corporate apps or some corporate banks. Otherwise, I'm quite content with FF + noscript, adblock, flashblock, etc. The awesome bar suits me well, and I like that I can customize the interface. I also run Chrome, but mostly for our internal ticketing system, and I don't find that its plugins work as effectively as FF and I don't like the interface. I also used to try Opera at almost every major release, but the interface drove me nuts and slowed me way down. Safari is just blah for me and I see no reason to use it.

I'm certainly willing to try new things, but I feel they have to provide more benefit than loss, and so far -- for me, at least -- nothing comes close to Firefox.

Thanks for the suggestion!

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Dieter wrote:
It sounds familiar, and I want to say I tried it a long time ago (if I'm thinking of the same thing. The name certainly is unique).
Hehe, you probably did. Maxthon before version 3 was simply another front-end for Internet Explorer, as it was strictly Trident-engine. It was basically a Firefox clone with the IE renderer. Maxthon 3 brought WebKit, and a whole host of other enhancements, and the newest version, now called "cloud browser", brings even more, such as the ability to link your Maxthon account to their cloud to backup your bookmarks and stuff (ala Chrome Sync.)
Dieter wrote:
I only use IE as a necessary evil for corporate apps or some corporate banks.
Yap. That's why I like how I can swap to Trident for troublesome sites with Maxthon. The history mentioned above is the reason it has that capability. °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°