Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Can't open TS files from USB (Warning OKI TV's)

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Just bought a tv that records video in a usb drive but can't open them on my pc.
tried VLC WMP classic and others, also installed latest K-Lite códec pack full and nothing, HELP!
I'm on Windows 8 64 bits.
Last edited by kantazo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Can't open TS files

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:50 pm

What brand of TV? Is it a proprietary format?
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:54 pm

The Brand of the TV is OKI, I'm afraid it's a Spanish brand sold only at Carrefour stores...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:58 pm

TS should be an MPEG2 Transport Stream but it's anyone's guess whether the TV is encoding something proprietary within the file container. You might need to use something like a DVD/BRD ripper and a re-encode with Handbrake in order to view them on a PC (which probably defeats the purpose of an easy DVR solution you were hoping for). Did you try opening them with an actual DVD or BRD software player such as PowerDVD?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:05 pm

PowerDVD don't open either.
I found at a fórum that this OKI tv is THE SAME (or made by) Telefunken

Dposcorp

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:40 pm

I had some of those files before; got them from my DVR via firewere when experimenting back in the day.
Instead of just trying to play it, try a converter.

Google really is your friend here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Convert ... e&ie=UTF-8

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:38 pm

tried almost all apps and no one opens the TS file, they must use some kind of protection...

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:09 pm

tried all converters available, none Works.
Definitely what I need is an App to remove the protection.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Can't open TS files (remove protection)

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:09 pm

If the content is indeed encrypted or copy protected, then discussion of tools to remove that protection is against the forum rules, as circumvention of copy protection is a violation of the DMCA in the US (where this site is based).

If it can be determined that this is merely a format conversion issue (and not a copy protection issue), then this discussion can continue; otherwise not.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm recording from regular free channels, not encoded pay channels, so it it not copyrighted material.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Can't open TS files from USB recorded free TV

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:41 pm

Just because it is on free broadcast TV doesn't mean it isn't copyrighted.

I have no idea how the copyright laws work over there in Spain, but here's the situation in the US: Copying for personal "fair use" purposes (e.g. time shifting) is permitted, but circumvention of DRM is not. So we're in the rather bizarre situation where the tools needed to exercise your fair use rights are technically illegal! US broadcasters are also implementing something called the broadcast flag, extending DRM to free over-the-air programming as well.

Sounds like Europe does not have an equivalent of the broadcast flag (yet), so at least you're in the clear there. But *if* the reason you can't play these files on your PC is some form of DRM, I'm afraid we can't discuss how to get around it here.

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:02 am

I really don't know, if you consider it is ilegal delete the thread.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:17 am

I honestly don't know enough about your TV or what the issue might actually be to say one way or the other. The thread will remain open for now, since based on the information we have so far it isn't yet clear whether this is a DRM issue.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Just because it is on free broadcast TV doesn't mean it isn't copyrighted.

I have no idea how the copyright laws work over there in Spain, but here's the situation in the US: Copying for personal "fair use" purposes (e.g. time shifting) is permitted, but circumvention of DRM is not. So we're in the rather bizarre situation where the tools needed to exercise your fair use rights are technically illegal! US broadcasters are also implementing something called the broadcast flag, extending DRM to free over-the-air programming as well.

Sounds like Europe does not have an equivalent of the broadcast flag (yet), so at least you're in the clear there. But *if* the reason you can't play these files on your PC is some form of DRM, I'm afraid we can't discuss how to get around it here.

Copyright and DRM are really two separate issues. Virtually every broadcast out there has been copyrighted since the very beginning. Even discussion of encryption methods is a gray area with regards to the DMCA, heck even intel has a fair amount of discussion and white papers on items like HDCP.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 am

You can try just renaming it to an mpg and see what happens. Works mostly, or used to.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:47 am

doesn't work.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Well the transport streams are usually satellite stuff. When I fooled with that we decrypted the stream on the fly and our TS files just played as an mpeg, which is what they are.

If you are serious about these files I'd go cruise the satellite forums and ask a few questions.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Dposcorp

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Can you upload a small file somewhere so I can look at it and try it out?
I was playing .TS files 5-6 years ago, so u must be missing something.
Again, make sure it is legit first and not copy righted; maybe an ad or something.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:29 pm

I'd try mplayer on it. It may be a multiplex so you might have to select the correct stream in the channel. If you can upload a small snippet as Dposcorp says then I can try taking a look at it. If not, at least post what mplayer says when you run it on the file.

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Mplayer says simply "Cannot render the file"
I'm gonna upload a sample file.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:55 pm

from my reading on the web it sounds like this likely has encryption included in the transport streams so you aren't going to have any luck in reading them. That seems to be common with most of the Freeview PVRs.

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:26 pm

sample file 21,8 MB

http://ul.to/g0ft6bva

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
If the content is indeed encrypted or copy protected, then discussion of tools to remove that protection is against the forum rules, as circumvention of copy protection is a violation of the DMCA in the US (where this site is based).

If it can be determined that this is merely a format conversion issue (and not a copy protection issue), then this discussion can continue; otherwise not.

Unless you are one of the site's "bigwigs," asking about Blu-ray software, for example: http://techreport.com/news/24373/which- ... or-windows

Really, TR's policing policy on DRM is asinine. There are 120 comments on that story (above) alone, most of which involve ripping a Blu-ray into another format to defeat the DRM, and not a single moderator jumping in with the infamous Rule # 1 wrist slapping. Let's make this an all or none policy, please. Ban me or whatever, but it's just asinine and does not stand up to scrutiny.

MOD EDIT - This is warning; don't threadcrap
If you have a issue with the above, start your own thread; don't crap in someone else's
You are wrong and comparing apples to oranges.
The forums have Mod's; the front page news posts are policed by top level management so feel free to email them.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:00 pm

kantazo wrote:
sample file 21,8 MB

Thanks for that. I've taken a look at it and I'm afraid I have no idea what it is. It is definitely not an MPEG2 Transport Stream, not even the encrypted version. When TV is transmitted encrypted, then the MPEG2 TS header is still in plain text, just the data packets are encoded and the file doesn't have MPEG2 TS headers as far as I can tell.

I Googled a bit and all I could find were other people posting the same problem with OKI TVs. I don't think you are going to have any luck with this.

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 pm

thanks for your response notfred.

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:44 pm

as I've read, OKI tv's are clones of the Telefunken ones, but I haven't found a solution googling on Telefunken machines.

kantazo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 pm

also, I'm trying to find what model is the Telefunken equivalent to my OKI V24E and try to find a firmware update or something.

Dposcorp

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 pm

Going to bed and will try more stuff later, but wanted to give you guys a chuckle.
I went to http://www.zamzar.com/ since they advertise free converting of .ts files and then they email them back to you in your pre-chosed format.
I got this email:

Hello from Zamzar !

There was a problem converting your file - We attempted to perform the conversion you requested from ts to mpg but unfortunately the conversion failed - our support team have been notified and are looking into the problem. Please click here if you would like to try and perform your conversion again. Conversion failed for the following file:

1test2.ts

Please do not reply to this automatically-generated email. If you have any questions, please email us at [email protected]

Thanks again for using Zamzar.

http://www.zamzar.com - Free online file conversion

zamb
Gerbil

Almost–up–to–date MPlayer2 & FFmpeg on Gentoo Linux…

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:06 am

For what it’s worth: It didn’t work on an–almost–up–to–date MPlayer2 (a fork of MPlayer), with FFmpeg that was just compiled yesterday from Git (revision N-50552-g8cc5481) (FFmpeg is the important part here).

Here’s what it outputs:
MPlayer2 2.0-712-gd3c5801 (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team
Cannot open file '/home/zamb/.mplayer/input.conf': No such file or directory
Failed to open /home/zamb/.mplayer/input.conf.

Playing 1test2.ts.
Cache size set to 8192 KiB
Cache fill:  6.25% (524288 bytes)   

Failed to recognize file format.

Exiting... (End of file)

This combination rarely (if ever) fail at playing any media format that I throw at it.

Just like what notfred wrote. No known headers what–so–ever (it seems a totally encrypted file).

Sorry.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:08 am

Either encrypted, or a completely proprietary format with a decoy file extension...