Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Flying Fox, Ryu Connor

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Looking for a less violent way to resize Windows text...

Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Hello!

I have a web design tool that doesn't get along with Windows 8's settings for text > 100%. What happens is that the WYSIWYG display shows a messy overlapping of the elements on the design page. I'm going to work this with the vendor to see if it can be fixed.

I needed to get a website update out the door quick, so rather than mess around too much, I decided to just reset Windows 8's text sizes from 125% to 100% so I could make my changes and publish the site, then change back to 125% for ongoing use.

But! When I set it from 125% to 100%, the icons on my main desktop all got pushed to the upper-left corner of my screen. It feels like Windows perpetrated a violent kick to my sand castle, leaving my desktop a messy (but alphabetically organized!) desktop with icons next to icons having no relationship to each other; for example, DAW icons next to Office icons, next to Web authoring icons, next to Quicken!

Question: Is there a way to "lock" or "remember" my icons on the desktop before changing my Windows text size? Or to "recover" their original positions when I swap back to 125%?

Thanks in advance...

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Re: Looking for a less violent way to resize Windows text...

Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:45 am

Starting with Windows XP's start menu, and through to Vista and 7, you can now pin icons to the taskbar and the start menu. Do you have that many icons to throw onto the desktop? (yes, I have seen people with a whole screenful of icons :o)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Re: Looking for a less violent way to resize Windows text...

Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi!

Yep, I sure do. I keep eight apps pinned to the start bar (IE, FF, File Explorer, Defrag, backup, process lasso), and I have 88 icons on the desktop. And this is a new system, ha!

I have about 40 icons for my various music making apps and standalone versions of VST instruments, normally organized in a way where things are just right there for me on my primary desktop (the ORIGINAL "Start Screen"!), plus most of the most-oft used apps for office, drawing, Explorer, Firefox, FAHcontrol, and others.

And of course, Steam likes to chuck all of your game icons on the desktop too.

A lot of older installers don't give you a choice; they put their icons on the desktop. And it works for me.