Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Macrium - Dissapointed with Sales/Support

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:51 pm

Scott posted an article a few months back about wanting to move on past Acronis. I took the article fairly serious as I had a few small annoyances with Acronis too, and had a few customers in need of updated backup software. He then recently had a good experinece with Macrium Reflect for his own home system. Macrium reached out to him which was impressive and then offered a 20% discount for TechReport readers.... very cool. I thought I'd give these guys a shot and shoot them an email with a few question.

Below are my attempts to contact Macrium and get a few questions answered straight from the horses mouth. I'm a fairly patient guy, but when asking direct questions and having each and every single one of them ignored, I get a bit peeved.

Email #1, read the bottom for my original message for Macrium and then their response.
Hi Klaus,
Thanks for contacting us.

I am afraid I can not offer a comparison with Acronis. However, I can reassure you that we take pride in our product and work tirelessly to ensure that imperfections and bugs are fixed as soon as we find them. We also have a dedicated team of software developers who offer support rather than an overseas call centre.

You are welcome to trial any of our software offerings here:
http://www.macrium.com/pages/downloads.aspx

Kind regards

Jon Dittman - Macrium Support
[email protected]

Macrium™ Software is a trading name of Paramount Software UK Ltd, Registered in England and Wales Number 02973414 Registered Office: Kilburn House, Manchester Science Park, Lloyd St. North, Manchester M15 6SE United Kingdom

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, privileged, or otherwise protected from disclosure. It is intended only for the use of the authorized individual as indicated in the e-mail. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action based on the contents of this material is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately.

-----Original Message-----
Reply-To: [email protected]
Date: 25 Feb 2013 23:34:51 +0000
To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Macrium vs Acronis

>Name: Klaus Welch
>
>Message:
>
>Hi, I am currently using Acronis as my backup solution.  However, recently I've been turned onto your program by Scott Wattson from Techreport.com.  I was curious if someone would be willing to contact me and give me and honest blow by blow comparison of Macrium to Acronis.  There is a client of mine who is on the edge of purchasing backup software for their server and I'd like to make an informed decision.  I realize that price is an obvious selling point for Macrium compared to Acronis.

Email #2, apparently the first sales guy couldn't respond and someone else did... no continuity.
Hi Klaus 

Thanks for getting back.

You can download a trial version of Macrium Reflect Server Edition from here:

http://www.macrium.com/pages/downloads.aspx

Please select 'Server' in the drop-down box in the download manager. The trial is fully functional except for the Windows boot menu option and Macrium Server ReDeploy to redeploy images to dissimilar PC hardware.

Kind regards

Nick Sills - Macrium Support
[email protected]

Macrium™ Software is a trading name of Paramount Software UK Ltd, Registered in England and Wales Number 02973414 Registered Office: Kilburn House, Manchester Science Park, Lloyd St. North, Manchester M15 6SE United Kingdom

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, privileged, or otherwise protected from disclosure. It is intended only for the use of the authorized individual as indicated in the e-mail. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action based on the contents of this material is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete it immediately.

-----Original Message-----
Reply-To: "I.T. Guy - Klaus Welch" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 13:44:37 -0900
To: "'Macrium Support'" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: (Case 26199) Macrium vs Acronis

>Hello Jon, thanks for your reply.  However, I was hoping for a bit more
>regarding the response.  I have been using Acronis for a good number of
>years, and for the most part been fairly happy (minus some of their
>Advanced Workstation network backup shortfalls).  I currently have well
>over 250+ machines being backed up using Acronis and while it works
>great, its quiet expensive, especially for the server software.  Your
>software comes in at a much cheaper price, so of course I'm a bit
>hesitant to switch from something I know that works, to a less
>expensive option.  Because I'm unable to truly "Test" out a demo
>version of your software on a live server environment, I was hoping to
>be given a quick rundown on what I can expect and not expect when in comparison to Acronis.  Other than price, WHY Macrium?
>
>I will say that I have gotten overseas tech support with Acronis, and
>the majority of them were terrible minus one guy who really knew his
>stuff.  I noticed you are a UK based company, and as such your hours
>are completely different from mine, how would that affect support that
>I receive.  I'm in Alaska, which is 1 hour earlier than California's
>time.  It would seem to me that a time difference this large would
>cause some headaches if I needed support.
>
>Either way, I guess I'm just really trying to give Macrium a shot, but
>I'd like to know that it’s a equivalent or better than the software I'm using.
>Thanks for your time Jon.

Email #3 - 30 minutes after #2, he responds with additional information, none of which answers my questions. The first response looked to be a canned one from what I can tell.
Hi Klaus 

Thanks for getting back.

The majority of our customers are US based and we generally reply to emails from all time zones within a few hours, many times much quicker.

Macrium ReDeploy is a very  dependable product.  To use the ReDeploy functionality of Macrium Reflect it is necessary to purchase the product. Please note that we offer an unconditional 30 day money back guarantee should you be dissatisfied with your purchase for any reason.

Kind regards

Nick Sills - Macrium Support
[email protected]

So out of all of this, I get the distinct feeling that these guys want nothing to do with someone until they purchase software from them. Ok you respond to emails quickly, but can't give a specific hours for my timezone? What about phone support, is that not even an option? Glad to hear you say its reliable, but your a sales guy, I expect to hear that from you. They don't seem to know their product enough to sell me on it? WTF? I don't understand why the majority of companies are like that these days. The main features that I'm concerned with can't even be tested (reDeploy mainly) as I wanted to test out backups from a RAID 5 to a single physical disk as an emergency test (something Acronis does well). You have someone who works in I.T. , who is likely to bring you A LOT OF BUSINESS by recommending your products for a few 100 workstations and all you can do is tell them that you can't explain WHY your solution is superior to your competitor? Sad, just sad.

I'm posting this in hopes that I either had a uniquely rare experience or that someone from Macrium will seek this post out and attempt to make things right by acting like they actual want my business. Unfortunately, it most likely will be too late for some of my purchases that are on a deadline and will go to Acronis, oh well.

NOTE: I have downloaded and tested Macrium reflect pro on a workstation, looks good but still can't test the main reason for purchasing this software (bare metal recovery)
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Macrium - Dissapointed with Sales/Support

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:09 am

In my opinion, you're asking tech support to do something they shouldn't be spending time doing: an item by item comparison with Acronis. They should be spending their time supporting people with support issues. And you should be looking at the features list on the website. You're asking them to provide you with something that's already been provided. Go to their website and make your own comparison.

Furthermore, there's a downloadable trial which I can see you have found.

Maybe Macrium has a sale's department that would answer your questions? Maybe not, maybe that's how the bring the product in at a lower cost.

Macrium has made everything you need available to evaluate the product: a website that describes the product, trial downloads. They're not falling short. I think you're expecting them to do your homework for you.

Edit: and what's keeping you from testing bare metal?

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Edit: and what's keeping you from testing bare metal?
That feature may not be in the trial version.

And yes, pre-sales, or sales should be what you should talk to here. I know we all don't like sales pitches that are often times exaggerated, but Support does seem like the wrong department to ask. Since you have the potential to sell so many licenses, you should be able to ask for a senior sales or some people that handle larger accounts. They should be more knowledgeable and may even be able to give you some discount as a "volume" customer. You just need to keep throwing those "250+" numbers until you get someone good enough.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:42 pm

flip-mode wrote:
In my opinion, you're asking tech support to do something they shouldn't be spending time doing: an item by item comparison with Acronis. They should be spending their time supporting people with support issues. And you should be looking at the features list on the website. You're asking them to provide you with something that's already been provided. Go to their website and make your own comparison.

I would have to agree. As someone who has trained support folks in the past, this would fall into the area that we would term "outside the scope of our support." For someone who has not used Acronis, how can you expect their opinion to be any better than your own? You know your needs, they cannot hope to guess what portions of their software is going to be mission-critical to you anymore than Acronis would.

Tech support is going to know one thing: how to support the issues of interface, control, and implementation of their product. In all likelihood, they have heard customers talk about migrating from one to the other, and that's about it.

Ask about their product and you'll get answers.

Once you are a customer or in their database, they will have tools that will (usually) automatically populate your time zone, locale, etc.

Take advantage of the trial version. Best option for you at this point. If you have issues or questions with the trial version, then contact tech support. They will be far more able to help you then.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Perhaps I shouldn't have said support, this was in fact the sales contact info I sent it off to from their online form and the response does say support which looks to be a common shared (forwarded) email account. If your going to have a sales form, why not answer sales questions? Why even have a sales department if my only resources is your website.

I'm not asking that they do my homework, simply that is like answers regarding their support that there is little in the way of for phone support. Even if these are their support techs they should be able to give me some basics about the software that they service or realize that is like to talk to presales and send me in that direction.

Perhaps I'm being a bit needy, but to be honest, when your looking to spend 1000's of dollars you want to know that the company has competent people who are able of knowing your software needs no matter what your questions might be.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Welch wrote:
Why even have a sales department if my only resources is your website.

Perhaps to deal with billing/payment issues/questions, as well as reseller program details?

I understand your frustration, but not all companies want to use same business model as the others. It is possible that they may be losing a lot of potential sales by not willing to explain all of the features of their products (or compare them in details to competitor's product) through e-mail or phone, but that's their choice... If you don't like that - just spend your $$$ elsewhere.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:57 pm

JohnC wrote:
Welch wrote:
Why even have a sales department if my only resources is your website.

Perhaps to deal with billing/payment issues/questions, as well as reseller program details?

I understand your frustration, but not all companies want to use same business model as the others. It is possible that they may be losing a lot of potential sales by not willing to explain all of the features of their products (or compare them in details to competitor's product) through e-mail or phone, but that's their choice... If you don't like that - just spend your $$$ elsewhere.

True, and last night a little over a grand was spent on Acronis /shrug.