Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi folks, hoping to get a quick answer as I was curious, I bought the Win 8 upgrade to upgrade from Win 7.

My question is, which would be the best way of doing this, do a fresh install of Win 8, which is my plan then upgrade to Win 8 after I have done the service pack and all updates on Win 7.

Or, just install win 7 and upgrade right away to win 8, I'm guessing in both instances I should avoid installing any drivers or programs until I get win 8 installed.

Thanx

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Win 8 upgrade from Win 7

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:12 pm

There are ways to do a "clean instal" of Win8 upgrade, without installing Win 7 first. Just Google for "windows 8 upgrade clean install"...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:25 pm

The standard upgrade requires that Win7 (or other valid OS) was installed and Win8 install is started from within Win7.

If you start from booting from CD the system complains the license key entered is not valid at activation. REALLY MS??? what if I want to clean my PC with a fresh install... why do you wait till the end and activation to complain?

But the install from within Win7 has the option of "Clean" install or "keep programs and files" or just "keep files".

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Interesting posts and info guys, ty kindly I'll start reading again and yes I vaguely recall the option of a "clean install" just not sure how clean that would be, I like to write zeroes or whatever that method is to my ssd first before doing a fresh install.

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:32 pm

credible wrote:
Interesting posts and info guys, ty kindly I'll start reading again and yes I vaguely recall the option of a "clean install" just not sure how clean that would be, I like to write zeroes or whatever that method is to my ssd first before doing a fresh install.

For SSD that would be secure erase.

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 pm

Arvald wrote:
credible wrote:

For SSD that would be secure erase.

Yes, thats the one, I use a parted magic disc, is it really needed, ie: is that the best way or safest practice for re-installing windows on an ssd.

Ty

d@mn'd
Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:54 pm

I was surprised how easy it was to I upgrade to 8 (from 7). After I installed classic shell and reclaimed my familiar workspace there were some programs that had problems with the upgrade (steam and office for two). After a month and a half I am glad I made a window 7 image before my upgrade.

For another install, I used a clean install method that involves using the [settings, change PC settings, General] "refresh your pc without affect your files" option after the first install that works really well. It worked for me even after a mistakenly tired to register my (clean installed) upgrade copy right after the first install. After I ran the "refresh your pc without affect your files" I installed the os again and blamo, I registered successfully. (I scrapped this install too. But it worked, just so you know.)

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:07 pm

credible wrote:
Yes, thats the one, I use a parted magic disc, is it really needed, ie: is that the best way or safest practice for re-installing windows on an ssd.

Ty

Secure erase isn't needed.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
credible wrote:

Ty

Secure erase isn't needed.

Ty and all went well folks, ty for the help:)

oldDummy
Gerbil XP

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:19 am

Ha, one can't eat Thank You's but it does feed the soul.

That's all it takes to satisfy a bruised physic and justify giving help.