Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Nexus 7 international 3G

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:29 pm

I am looking into buying an N7 to take with me while I spend a year living in Kenya. If I can make it work it seams like it would be nice to get the 3G version and use a local sim card. I looked up the frequencies used there and they match with what the N7 says it supports.

Is this totally foolish?

In my preliminary research I found people using micro usb to full usb chords and a usb 3G modem. The catch was needing to root the N7 and carry around extra stuff. This just seems like an unnecessary and bulky compromise. The only barrier to using local sim cards appears to be getting them cut to uSIM and trying to reload value after they were cut.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Nexus 7 international 3G

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Don't know about Kenya, but a friend of mine is currently in Burundi, she took an unlocked Nexus One phone and is relying upon local prepaid SIMs. Pretty much the sensible thing to do in Africa since many areas never had reliable public infrastructure for hardline telecom but have adopted 3G cellular infrastructure quite rapidly.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:36 pm

rogthewookiee wrote:
The only barrier to using local sim cards appears to be getting them cut to uSIM and trying to reload value after they were cut.

You can always get a Micro SIM cutter and adaptor.

rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:28 am

Cool glad to know it is possible!

I will certainly pick up one of those cutters before I go.