Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Samsung, never again.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:02 pm

Well, just wasted another saturday afternoon taking apart my Samsung fridge I bought in october 2010. Thats the four time in 2 and a half year this fridge had to be take apart.

The first time a technician came less then a year after after purchase because all our food spoiled (fridge said 36f, but it was warm inside),
he dismantled the fridge side (side by side) and ice pick tons of ice that froze the air fan solid, because this was under warranty I got comped for the visit.

Next it happen just before the warranty was out and the same deal, took the fridge apart defrosted the block of ice the froze the air blower..
At that time I asked to have the fridge replaced, I was told they cant do that until they get a third service call.
Well, it happen again, called them and they said the fridge is now out of warranty and I'm SOL and I should have bought an extended warranty , thats what they are for.. I was stunned!!!

So I was lied by the service company, and I was kicked to the curb by Samsung...

And guess, a 5 minutes search .. and booom , seem like I'm not alone looking at the comments and this is a design problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4oW908iGRE

I dont have the exact same model, but the EXACT same problems

So today I noticed, again, that my fridge was warm inside with spoiled food so had to spend my afternoon defrosting the blower like in the video.

What piss me off is how Samsung handle customers, like total pieces of ****.

**** product , **** service. And I can tell you really crappy craftsmanship.

I have pictures of the inside and its the worse craftsmanship I ever seen!

Only thing that calm my nerve right now is that Samsung is going to be eaten alive by huawei in the consumer electronic market.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Samsung, never again.

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:19 pm

It's posts like this that make me scared to make real, "adult" purchases (like expensive appliances). _(´□`」 ∠)_

So far I've been fortunate enough to rent a furnished home, then recently, move in with my girlfriend's parents; obviously, in both cases, as well as while living at home, I didn't have to worry about paying for my own appliances, or worry about their condition too much.

You can clearly see how sschaem's refrigerator woes are a result of the faulty design, however, and not as a result of a manufacturing defect or damage. ఠ_ఠ Sure, you can research this kind of thing online, but if it's a new product, nobody will know.

Even if Samsung had replaced the refrigerator, it would probably have suffered from the same problem. The only profitable course of action would be returning the device, but how would you know about this sort of thing within the return period? 「(°ヘ°)

Really scary.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:41 pm

Don't know about other brands, but we had a good luck with LG products so far - our previous fridge worked well for several years (we left it at old house), our current one is also still going strong after 2 years, same goes for LG washer and dryer (which are awesomely quiet and almost completely vibration-free, even when being stacked)... Same goes for our awesomely quiet Bosch dishwasher. We didn't even bother with extra warranty... All it usually takes to get a good quality appliance is a little bit of research, both online and offline (to visually check the overall build quality and maybe spot out potential design deficiencies) - it won't give a 100% guarantee that your stuff won't break multiple times during warranty period, but so far it worked well for me ;-)
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:20 pm

auxy wrote:
It's posts like this that make me scared to make real, "adult" purchases (like expensive appliances). _(´□`」 ∠)_

Just wait until you start looking at buying a house...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:16 am

just brew it! wrote:
auxy wrote:

Just wait until you start looking at buying a house...

Or a vehicle. An appliance, we are using a 7 yr old frigidaire w/o issues, sometimes basic things are better & more reliable.

As for the house, just design and build yourself, piece of cake.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Samsung's apparent design philosophy is to generate new models faster then older ones fail, so when a model does fail, it is more attractive to "upgrade" it to get it fixed.

I am not pleased with their phones either... or their TVs. Phone is constantly on the fritz, and basic software design choices are bass ackwards. i.e Powering up the display and leaving it on to let you know the battery is low.

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:33 pm

No, this is not some crude macguiver contraption, this is the inside of my late 2010 $1800 Samsung Fridge

"Samsung... shiny on the outside... silly on the inside.. Samsung"

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Yes, yes, the auto-defrost function doesn't work properly anymore (for whatever the reason it may be)... Just throw the fridge out and buy a new one by a different brand (since you seem to be disappointed with Samsung), problem solved :roll:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

bluepiranha
Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Samsung's apparent design philosophy is to generate new models faster then older ones fail, so when a model does fail, it is more attractive to "upgrade" it to get it fixed.

I am not pleased with their phones either... or their TVs. Phone is constantly on the fritz, and basic software design choices are bass ackwards. i.e Powering up the display and leaving it on to let you know the battery is low.

I've had both a phone and a TV/monitor from Samsung. My previous phone was an S8003 Jet (which was a touch-screen phone that just predated their Android efforts) and my current TV/monitor is a 2333HD 23" 1080p unit.

So far, so good.

The Jet proved that AMOLED screen tech was really something to behold, with stellar brightness, great color saturation and even battery-saving properties - traitsI miss from my current Android smartphone. Although I do have to agree with you, it wasn't immune from the silly software that Samsung still tends to bundle into its present Android lineup - some of which is best described as a solution looking for a problem. Also, running a proprietary OS means the Jet is stuck with whatever apps, good and bad, that it runs.

The TV/monitor runs TN tech, but it's very well thought-out for its expected use case - as a TV/monitor for a small bedroom. My only real complaint is the non-intuitive color calibration settings and that you definitely need the remote to use it as the on-device buttons are hidden to the side.
Ad astra per aspera.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 pm

sschaem wrote:
No, this is not some crude macguiver contraption, this is the inside of my late 2010 $1800 Samsung Fridge

You do realize that most of a fridge is just layers of insulation packaged between plastic on one side and sheet metal on the other, right?

The ice accumulation is an obvious design flaw but I don't know why you were expecting the inside to look like...well, whatever you were expecting it to look like.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:07 am

ludi wrote:
sschaem wrote:

You do realize that most of a fridge is just layers of insulation packaged between plastic on one side and sheet metal on the other, right?

The ice accumulation is an obvious design flaw but I don't know why you were expecting the inside to look like...well, whatever you were expecting it to look like.

I didn't expect to see some delicate Swiss mechanics, but I didn't expected either to see something put together using by badly applied foam and piece of tape here and there.
If you have to use 8 piece of tape to hold the foam backing.. and look how the foam tape was applied.
And I guess I'm a design purist, but I would have designed a groove in the plastic shell to hold the wire VS a piece of tape.

And for people thinking "Why dint you press the fridge defrost button"

Why would Samsung send a repair man twice to take the fridge apart and pay for it if they only needed to press a button.
Funny enough, the freezer side is fine, and so far no ice build up in the past 24 month. Its just the fridge side that keep freezing shut.

And defrost mean heat, even if I had this option (I dont, maybe this was added in 2011 Samsung model because of this flaw)
But manually doing this every 6 month would be a pain. Having your milk at room temperature all day is not recommended.

All I can say is that this is the first fridge that stop cooling after 6 month of operation without maintenance.

Now, yes, I can live with a shoddy looking craftsmanship as long as the thing work (but if you buy a $2000 Samsung fridge expect the inside to be hold by tape)
so the kicker is how Samsung pacified me until the fridge when out of warranty...

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 am

Well....I have never had a problem with a Kenmore fridge.

But companies that make many things AND in different forms scare me. My fridge AND hard drive are by samsung...eh, just does not sit well. Like buying a Chevy GPU, or Google roof shingles, or tires/tyres by Coke, or a hot tub by Remmington. There is branching out, but there is also branching a bit to far out.
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 am

sschaem wrote:
ludi wrote:
sschaem wrote:

I didn't expect to see some delicate Swiss mechanics, but I didn't expected either to see something put together using by badly applied foam and piece of tape here and there.
If you have to use 8 piece of tape to hold the foam backing.. and look how the foam tape was applied.
And I guess I'm a design purist, but I would have designed a groove in the plastic shell to hold the wire VS a piece of tape.

And for people thinking "Why dint you press the fridge defrost button"

Why would Samsung send a repair man twice to take the fridge apart and pay for it if they only needed to press a button.
Funny enough, the freezer side is fine, and so far no ice build up in the past 24 month. Its just the fridge side that keep freezing shut.

And defrost mean heat, even if I had this option (I dont, maybe this was added in 2011 Samsung model because of this flaw)
But manually doing this every 6 month would be a pain. Having your milk at room temperature all day is not recommended.

All I can say is that this is the first fridge that stop cooling after 6 month of operation without maintenance.

Now, yes, I can live with a shoddy looking craftsmanship as long as the thing work (but if you buy a $2000 Samsung fridge expect the inside to be hold by tape)
so the kicker is how Samsung pacified me until the fridge when out of warranty...

WTF are you rambling about... The "defrost" function is automatic, there's no need to press ANYTHING. It is obviously BROKEN for the "refrigerator" part (the "freezer" side is fine because it has separate evaporator with its own, separate auto-defrost system), so you have to either pay up to fix it OR throw refrigerator out and buy a new one. Continuing doing this in post after post won't help you to solve your issue :roll:

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:02 am

The GE fridge we got when we bought this house 12 years ago still runs fine. Makes some noises that it didn't when it was new, and some of the interior plastic bits are starting to wear out, but other than the cheese drawer in the door (which has always been a bit too warm in the summer months) it keeps frozen food frozen, cold food cold, and has never needed servicing.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 am

I have a GE TA-12S from the early 1980's (I just looked but could not find the manufacture date). For the last 15 years I've been swearing to replace it once or twice a year, when it comes time to manually defrost it (i.e., when the door barely closes anymore). The only mechanical sign of it aging is that I have had to lower the setting (i.e., move away from "Coldest" toward "Off") about a quarter point per year over the last few years to prevent it from getting too cold. It's at 2.5 now, so I guess I have a few years left.

More recently, I've decided to keep it until it finally gives up the ghost, just to see how long it will last. Nearly everyone I know that has a newer 'fridge (whether Samsung, Whirlpool, GE, etc.) have all had "issues".

just brew it! wrote:
The GE fridge we got when we bought this house 12 years ago still runs fine.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:15 am

JohnC wrote:
WTF are you rambling about... The "defrost" function is automatic, there's no need to press ANYTHING. It is obviously BROKEN for the "refrigerator" part (the "freezer" side is fine because it has separate evaporator with its own, separate auto-defrost system), so you have to either pay up to fix it OR throw refrigerator out and buy a new one. Continuing doing this in post after post won't help you to solve your issue :roll:

With all due respect to the OP, I'm with John on this one.

A full Fridge/Freezer can easily contain over $1,000 worth of food. When we had hurricanes in 2004, I lost power for a week. I casually calculated my food loss in my modest apartment fridge/freezer to be no less than $500, and more likely to be about $800.

At their core, refrigerators are simple mechanisms that with the exception of water dispensers and ice makers, have not changed a whole lot over the last 75 years. Okay, the newest ones have Mac addresses and the ability to reorder your milk and beer when it runs out. But the cooling mechanisms are not complicated like some mysterious warp reactor.

Get an estimate. If it's less than half the value of the fridge, pay up and fix the damned thing. If it's too expensive, just buy a Kenmore, LG, or GE. GE's "Hotpoint" brand is the cheap apartment style model, dirt cheap and pretty reliable (though butt-ugly). If you save yourself two spoilage events within the first year after repair or replacement, the service and parts will very nearly pay for themselves!

Best of all, you'll be able to put the wine in the fridge and find something new to whine about. :P :lol:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:19 am

BIF wrote:
Best of all, you'll be able to put the wine in the fridge and find something new to whine about. :P :lol:

:lol:

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:10 am

I left my house after getting an exorbitantly high electricity bill for 21 days with everything but my fridge switched off. (This included HW system, aircon, etc. all at the mains switch) I returned to my house and my electricity bill was HIGHER than the previous qtr by another $100. Blaming my Samsung fridge which is only 1 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o Going to get one of the electrical port monitor things to prove it.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

clone
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:17 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neg

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:36 am

JohnC wrote:

Not very bright, aren't you ? The issue here is that it never worked (And I'm not alone), being a design flaw and even so it broke twice during the warranty, Samsung washed their hand of the situation as soon as the warranty went out.

http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews.com ... il-defect/
(The picture is the inside of the RS267TDRS air circulation)

Obviously this posting wasn't intended to miraculously fix samsung faulty design, but it might help at least one person thinking on buying a samsung appliance, and how to handle breakdown during warranty time.
Last edited by sschaem on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

wintermane666
Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:38 am

It looks like that because it has been repaired 2 times. Its busted for the same reasons it failed before.. something is wrong and busting the defroster. This happens say about 1 in 10000 units... same sort of things happen with all such devices.. cars boats ac units heaters furnaces.. something goes wrong and keeps damaging a part again and again and the repairman cant see or cant fix the root cause.. it may even be a small design flaw in that one model or even in that BATCH of that model.

That's life.

By the by if you want a fridge your BEST by far option is to buy one from a line that has been out many years and NOT new design. All the bugs get worked out and yes everything comes with bugs.

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:48 am

wintermane666 wrote:
It looks like that because it has been repaired 2 times. Its busted for the same reasons it failed before.. something is wrong and busting the defroster. This happens say about 1 in 10000 units... same sort of things happen with all such devices.. cars boats ac units heaters furnaces.. something goes wrong and keeps damaging a part again and again and the repairman cant see or cant fix the root cause.. it may even be a small design flaw in that one model or even in that BATCH of that model.

That's life.

By the by if you want a fridge your BEST by far option is to buy one from a line that has been out many years and NOT new design. All the bugs get worked out and yes everything comes with bugs.

Yes, but the issue again is how samsung refused to own up to the problem. And said "we cant replace your fridge until you have filed a third repair"
But when that happened , I got "You fridge is now out of warranty"

This is what I'm trying to warn people about Samsung, its customer support when they product are faulty.
So forget about the chance of having a bad unit, yes lemon happen.( for some company more then other).. the issue is that Samsung will wash their hand of faulty lemons using some pretty sick tactics

anyways, you have been warned. If you must get a samsumg appliance get an extended warranty, because in the 1/1000 change you get a lemon, it will be on your hard earned $.

BTW, I fully agree about buying a well establish model... but its not that easy nowdays as new model come out every year.
I already had a samsung TV, washer, dryer , and was happy... so I kind of trusted the company. Yea, I know that was a stupid move. (And the GF loved the look :)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:02 am

sschaem wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Not very bright, aren't you ? The issue here is that it never worked (And I'm not alone), being a design flaw and even so it broke twice during the warranty, Samsung washed their hand of the situation as soon as the warranty went out.

Obviously this posting wasn't intended to miraculously fix samsung faulty design, but it might help at least one person thinking on buying a samsung appliance, and how to handle breakdown during warranty time.

What "design flaw"? Where is the proof that there is a "design flaw" that causes the auto-defrost system to "never work" for 100% of those models or that it can't be repaired? :roll: What was the outcome of this lawsuit?

sschaem wrote:
Yes, but the issue again is how samsung refused to own up to the problem. And said "we cant replace your fridge until you have filed a third repair"

Welcome to the real life :roll: That's how 99.9% of large companies operate. If your product is out of warranty - you're on your own, regardless if you got the refrigerator from LG, Samsung, GE, Frigidaire or whatever. Unless you can prove that the manufacturer sold the product with a known defect. Which you can't, so once again... Either pay for repair or get a new one by another brand (with an extended warranty, since they ALL have a basic 1-year warranty for non-sealed components (like fans and heating elements)), regardless of the brand).
Last edited by JohnC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 am

BIF wrote:
Get an estimate. If it's less than half the value of the fridge, pay up and fix the damned thing. If it's too expensive, just buy a Kenmore, LG, or GE. GE's "Hotpoint" brand is the cheap apartment style model, dirt cheap and pretty reliable (though butt-ugly). If you save yourself two spoilage events within the first year after repair or replacement, the service and parts will very nearly pay for themselves!

This issue might not be fixable... But I'm now good for another 6 to 8 month, enough to find a time tested model to replace this one.

The post was me being done with samsung, but also showing how samsung handle support of faulty products.

I personally thought fridge where the most reliable appliance of all. I never had a fridge go bad, so I was surprised a company like samsung could mess this up, but also take leave you in the cold. (pun intended)

anyways, facts are facts. Samsung screwed me royally, I just wanted to rant and let people know about their practices, and I'm just done buying any samsung products.
(I have a NC10 netbook, plasma TV, washer , dryer, laser AIO ... )

sschaem
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:17 am

JohnC wrote:
sschaem wrote:
JohnC wrote:

What "design flaw"? Where is the proof that there is a "design flaw" that causes the auto-defrost system to "never work" for 100% of those models or that it can't be repaired? :roll: What was the outcome of this lawsuit?

sschaem wrote:

Welcome to the real life :roll: That's how 99.9% of large companies operate. If your product is out of warranty - you're on your own, regardless if you got the refrigerator from LG, Samsung, GE, Frigidaire or whatever. Unless you can prove that the manufacturer sold the product with a known defect. Which you can't, so once again... Either pay for repair or get a new one by another brand.

Stop being a dick. Its not how 99.9% of company operate.

2 service repair done by samsung during the within warranty, when I express concern after the second time, and thought this was a lemon and wanted a replacement , they said they cant do that, you will have to do that on the third repair call.
Third repair call happen.. "Sorry sir you product is 2 month out of warranty"

Does Bosh, SubZero, Wolfdo treat defective products like that ?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:35 am

sschaem wrote:

Stop being a dick. Its not how 99.9% of company operate.

2 service repair done by samsung during the within warranty, when I express concern after the second time, and thought this was a lemon and wanted a replacement , they said they cant do that, you will have to do that on the third repair call.
Third repair call happen.. "Sorry sir you product is 2 month out of warranty"

Does Bosh, SubZero, Wolfdo treat defective products like that ?

What's a "Bosh"? :lol: If you mean "Bosch" - yea, they do that too. If the warranty expires - you're on your own. Call them up and ask about their warranty policies, if you don't believe that.

killadark
Gerbil XP

Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 am

weird that you guys have such problem my samsung fridge has been running alone quite well for 5 yrs now and my parents hav a kelvinator which is as old as me (22) and it had to be repaired only 3 times i think it sill runs strong to this day
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

Bensam123
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:48 am

I've noticed appliances in general in the last 5-7 years have become increasingly unreliable. My dad made a few washer purchases and fridge purchases, the newer and fancier the model the more likely they are to break and need to be 'serviced'. For rentals the most basic units not only do their job, but also can easily be fixed by a DIY'er. I think this is actually a trend so that service techs get more visits, appliance manufacturers get more purchases, and people buy the extended warranties.

The last tech that came over to service my GE fridge was telling me about how the ice buildup I had was common place and that I should get the extended warranty because the ICs fry themselves basically six months after the standard warranty is up due to condensation build up.

It's a joke. I think companies were putting themselves out of business by making good appliances, so they stopped doing that and started making disposable ones people will replace. It's a trend and if you go through enough appliances (like owning your own rentals properties) you start to see what's happening overall. Heck there are fridges in some of my dad's places that are from the 70s and 80s that still work fine and some newer 00 models he put in that had to be replaced already. It's ridiculous.

Washers, dryers, fridges, AC units (window ones), and dishwashers all fall into this category.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 am

It could be worse. You could be dealing with some of the made-in-China Haier junk that they sell at Wal-mart. Every one of those pieces of garbage that I've seen has failed within a few months. Consumer Reports also found that Haier had falsified the EPA energy star reports. Some of their refrigerators used about twice as much power as they claimed.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:18 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
It could be worse. You could be dealing with some of the made-in-China Haier junk that they sell at Wal-mart. Every one of those pieces of garbage that I've seen has failed within a few months. Consumer Reports also found that Haier had falsified the EPA energy star reports. Some of their refrigerators used about twice as much power as they claimed.

My Haier beer fridge has been running strong for nearly 7 years now. :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.