Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

cut and past URL from Chrome to Word

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:07 pm

Hi. I make copies of online articles and info - and need to include the URL so others can find them later.

I did this for years cut and paste browser to word - adding the URL under the title and author byline for later use. Now a simple copy and paste doesn't work (mostly). Crtl C and Crtl V is better - but a pain.

Am I missing a setting in the browser (Chrome and Fox)? or is this a feature (really?)

(While I am moaning - the Fox feature to go full screen that requires a mouse move to get to desktop or other programs is another feature I just cant understand - unless the idea is to hold you hostage for payment).

Any ideas on cut and paste would be appreciated.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: cut and past URL from Chrome to Word

Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Still works fine for me. What happens when you try to do it? Nothing at all? Something strange?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi. yeah - did for me too when I cut and pasted this forum's URL.

Mostly I am copying large text from newspapers - mainly NYT to Word (2010). The text goes fine. I go back to chrome and click off the text, its not highlighted. then I highlight the URL and copy and paste. The text shows up again - as if the copy didn't take. Repeat - same thing.

I use mainly default's on most settings - though I did wonder if changing Word's default paste to merge with current setting might matter - will try going back to default (though this is what I would want).

Seems weird to me.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:20 pm

I just tried this from the NYTimes site (copying some text from an article in Chrome and pasting into Word, then going back and copying the URL, all using the mouse and context menus not the keyboard shortcuts) and it went fine. This is using Word 2007 and while there's no end to Microsoft's work of adding questionable new "features" in subsequent versions, I'd be surprised if that mattered.

In fact this sounds like more of an issue with Chrome, since presumably if you pasted into anything else (Notepad, say) you'd still be getting the text rather than the URL -- if indeed the URL copy didn't "take." And if it didn't "take" then that would be a Chrome (or add-in?) issue, no? A long time ago I had an issue with Chrome where it wouldn't reliably replace one URL in the clipboard with another, resulting in me pasting old links rather than new ones, but that went away with an update years ago and I haven't seen anything like that since.

BTW, you might want to try one of the various "scrapbook" extensions for Chrome (none of which I have tried), though if saving things in Word works for you I'm not going to argue (especially if you're planning to use and cite the material in work you're writing in Word anyway).

ordskiweicz
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks UberG - I came to the same conclusion. (Maybe its a feature!)

An add on helps, though Ii do this a lot and end up minimizing the window and typing at times - or using FFox where it is no issue.