Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Tax Refund purchases

Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:43 pm

This place is a bargain! It was ~5million and now only asking 3.5!
Figured, I'll make an offer and put my tax refund down.
http://tours.rangelinephoto.com/public/ ... 97669?a=1&

Nice short commute to work for me.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Tax Refund purchases

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm going to be telecommuting starting at the end of April, so anything is a short commute. I think you should buy it, Danny. Looks like a nice place.

edit: I'd replace the main staircases with escalators, though. An up and a down.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
edit: I'd replace the main staircases with escalators, though. An up and a down.
If you can afford the home and escalators, you can probably afford an escalator that reverses direction.

And if that doesn't exist, someone should invent it.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Assuming a 20% downpayment, on $3.5M you would be laying out $700k. If that's your tax refund, you really need a better accountant :P
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Windows. We are replacing our windows, or putting it towards a new car. Ours are both over a decade old, and her van has 200k miles on it.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:10 pm

I'm putting mine towards my savings of either a newer car (currently drive a '99 Civic, on the lookout for around a '05 Impreza (base model)) or a new motorcycle. I'm liking the new 2013 Ninja 650. I can't do both though : (
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:13 pm

The IRS just today accepted my return which was submitted 1/26/13. I can't say any other thoughts I have on the whole process because it would force R&P.

We bought a new smart TV and sent the 10 year old TV to the basement.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:19 pm

superjawes wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
If you can afford the home and escalators, you can probably afford an escalator that reverses direction.

And if that doesn't exist, someone should invent it.

I guess I'd never dreamed that such a thing would exist. I'm just thinking, you know, there are two staircases right next to each other, might as well establish traffic patterns.

(while our tax return is doing towards a house, it's not going towards this house. It's been put away and we're starting to shop around.)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:32 pm

danny e. wrote:
This place is a bargain! It was ~5million and now only asking 3.5!
Figured, I'll make an offer and put my tax refund down.
http://tours.rangelinephoto.com/public/ ... 97669?a=1&

Nice short commute to work for me.

Nice house. The ceiling in dining room looks a little weird, though - reminds me of CTF-Command map from original Unreal Tournament :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

kvndoom

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:35 pm

Paid off one of our cars (yippee!!!! :D ), paid off credit cards (and moved them out of our POCKETS and into a SAFE), will be doing several small home upgrades, and keeping the rest in savings.

Purchases are minimal... I bought a 5-piece KEF Q-series set from a rich lady who was getting rid of them cheap on Craigslist ($400 for speakers worth over $2000 when bought new). Major score there! Bought my best friend's Acoustic Research powered sub for cheap; now we just need a decent receiver. Gotta get some clothes for my new job, and that's about it! I really don't shop much for myself anymore. Must happen with age. :cry:
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:48 pm

Dunno. Friends of ours are getting married in California next year, so it could be put away for the trip, but my wife's changing careers and going back to school so it'll probably end up getting used for that.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Kurotetsu
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:34 pm

Mine hasn't come in yet, but I'd like to use it to get into investing (speaking of which, need to find an Idiot's Guide or somesuch). Or perhaps use it to pay off my HOA fees for the year.
Under Construction Forever~~~

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:24 pm

My actual tax refund will probably go towards another firearm purchase.

TheEmrys

Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:28 pm

Used mine for a new front door and storm door. Somewhat excited to see what/if there are energy savings.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Using it to cover the impending furlough. :evil: Dicks.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:42 pm

It's not fun, but I'm using mine to pay off student loans.

thecoldanddarkone

Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:45 pm

CampinCarl wrote:

DoD? Some of my family has the same issue.

Mine paid the rest of the cards off and part of my surface pro.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:37 pm

CampinCarl wrote:
DISA Columbus?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:43 am

I used a portion of mine on a DIYPNP computer for my car.

The box arrived Monday...and I have the feeling this will be a long endeavor. :lol:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:55 am

People use tax refunds as savings accounts sadly...I guess they aren't disciplined enough to save up otherwise. Gov't doesn't need an interest free loan from me :D so I rarely get a refund, my taxes are pretty straightforward too though. I've also read that lots of people use refunds to pay down debts or for savings too, who knows whether that's what really happens.

superjawes

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:25 am

I've never planned on getting money from a tax refund, so if I ever got anything back, it would go into some sort of savings.

Of course, this year I was marked for an extra allowance on my W4, so I owed money to the IRS >.<

Luckily, I overpaid IL by about the same amount, so I break even.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Black Applesauce
Gerbil

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:35 am

The library in that place looks awesome...I'd get it :D
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
-Bill Gates

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:49 am

I'm blowing it all on fireworks for the BBQ! :o

...not really... :P

There aren't really any new toys I want so it's mostly just going to be saved for\used to recover baby related incidentals... This time next year I could see myself eyeing a Razer Edge 2.0 - we'll see... :-?

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:37 am

Using it to pay taxes.

(I didn't get a refund this year).

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:42 am

that's a cute little cottage!

It always surprises me on how tasteless some of these mansions are. Rich people are boring. They all do the same stuff. "Buy excessively large house, have it decorated by 60 year old woman" "buy several hundred million dollar yacht to compete with other super rich people" "buy veyrons and mclarens". Boring. Being super wealthy opens up new avenues to how weird you can be.

Buy a cargo ship and convert it into a floating hotel with a racetrack and a jump on the bow so you can drive your motorcycle off of it and deploy your parachute over the ocean.

Purchase a tropical island then build your own treefort community on it and re enact lord of the flies.

Buy a Pinto Wagon and have it restored with a carbon fiber body then put some fancy twin turbo engine in it.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-conte ... s.org_.jpg

That with 1000 ft lbs. Comeon.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:54 am

shaq_mobile wrote:
Being super wealthy opens up new avenues to how weird you can be.

Buy a cargo ship and convert it into a floating hotel with a racetrack and a jump on the bow so you can drive your motorcycle off of it and deploy your parachute over the ocean.

Purchase a tropical island then build your own treefort community on it and re enact lord of the flies.

Buy a Pinto Wagon and have it restored with a carbon fiber body then put some fancy twin turbo engine in it.

So in other words, be Dubai?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:46 pm

shaq_mobile wrote:
It always surprises me on how tasteless some of these mansions are. Rich people are boring. They all do the same stuff. "Buy excessively large house, have it decorated by 60 year old woman" "buy several hundred million dollar yacht to compete with other super rich people" "buy veyrons and mclarens". Boring. Being super wealthy opens up new avenues to how weird you can be.
We definitely need a more creative class of rich people. In the movies, rich people buy volcanic islands and hollow it out to put a submarine base to launch their plans for world domination. In real life, they buy iPhones with diamonds on them. Bleh.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Darkmage wrote:
shaq_mobile wrote:
We definitely need a more creative class of rich people. In the movies, rich people buy volcanic islands and hollow it out to put a submarine base to launch their plans for world domination. In real life, they buy iPhones with diamonds on them. Bleh.

There is a fairly small number of multi-billionaires. Millionaires really can't afford much in the grand scheme of things, so it limits their options.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:29 am

danny e. wrote:
There is a fairly small number of multi-billionaires. Millionaires really can't afford much in the grand scheme of things, so it limits their options.
Bleh. They just need to focus more. Buy an island for $25 million or so. $100 million construction project. $4 million submarine. Is that so hard? :)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 pm

My tax refund was $3.

Three. Dollars.

I guess I should be glad I didn't OWE taxes, but it's like ... why even bother filing? (◕︿◕✿)