Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Which upgrade path should I put points in?

Poll ended at Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:51 pm

Main Hand (upgrade CPU)
2 (7%)
Off-Hand (upgrade GPU)
10 (33%)
Backpack (buy SSD)
14 (47%)
Other (describe in the comments)
4 (13%)

Total votes: 30

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Re: Skill tree upgrade path

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:06 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yknow what makes *me* sad? The fact that so many people simply accept that migrating your existing OS installation to a new boot drive is potentially a major ordeal. There's no technical reason It *needs* to be this way, and yet we've come to view it as normal. IMO it verges on a geek version of Stockholm Syndrome.

Microsoft provides the tools to make it easy, but everyone seems to want a third party solution instead. Ones that often use block based backups. So long as that stays the norm, it looks like it is going to remain a messy affair.

Some of it also stems from the way XP used to be. I don't think people have realized that Vista forward are not just XP with a pretty skin.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:17 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Some of it also stems from the way XP used to be. I don't think people have realized that Vista forward are not just XP with a pretty skin.

I'll admit to having a bit of that bias myself. However, I've seen enough brain-dead Windows 7 partitioning schemes (HP laptops *cough* *cough*) to believe that we're not out of the woods yet. Granted, this may be more HP's stupidity than Microsoft's...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Yknow what makes *me* sad? The fact that so many people simply accept that migrating your existing OS installation to a new boot drive is potentially a major ordeal. There's no technical reason It *needs* to be this way, and yet we've come to view it as normal. IMO it verges on a geek version of Stockholm Syndrome.

Microsoft provides the tools to make it easy, but everyone seems to want a third party solution instead. Ones that often use block based backups. So long as that stays the norm, it looks like it is going to remain a messy affair.

But why bother? I mean it takes like what, ten minutes to reinstall Windows 8? It's not like it's a problem or anything. Anyway, it's nice to freshen up occasionally. °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:55 pm

auxy wrote:
Ryu Connor wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

But why bother? I mean it takes like what, ten minutes to reinstall Windows 8? It's not like it's a problem or anything. Anyway, it's nice to freshen up occasionally. °˖✧◝(⁰▿⁰)◜✧˖°

There are some users who have literally hundreds of applications they need to reinstall and reconfigure. Not all of them provide the feature to export/import settings. And some of those apps are not exactly small. For example, the latest Visual Studio (2010 and 2012) takes almost an hour to install (may be less with an SSD, but still it is a big suite of apps). A lot of customizations may have been applied to those apps, like window positions, installed plugins, etc. It can take days if not weeks to reinstall+reconfigure all that with a brand new install.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
There are some users who have literally hundreds of applications they need to reinstall and reconfigure. Not all of them provide the feature to export/import settings. And some of those apps are not exactly small. For example, the latest Visual Studio (2010 and 2012) takes almost an hour to install (may be less with an SSD, but still it is a big suite of apps). A lot of customizations may have been applied to those apps, like window positions, installed plugins, etc. It can take days if not weeks to reinstall+reconfigure all that with a brand new install.
Ohh. I guess that makes sense. I install everything portable, so it's not a problem for me to wipe my OS drive and reinstall. ^^ Even Steam can be used portably.