Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: GTX Titan reviws and discussions

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Deanjo wrote:
JohnC wrote:

I'll race ya, bet mine gets here before yours. ;D

Heh... That's not for me, actually :wink: Mine will come from Newegg.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: GTX Titan reviws and discussions

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:42 pm

shivm wrote:
to johnC: If you are really that rich, why can't you send me just 1 Titan GPU worth of money and then blend 11 of them (still enough for more experiments). That amount of money really matters to me. (I am joking as wellll as really serious) consider it.

Well, that wouldn't be really as helpful to yourself as you think ;-) Rather, think of me as providing an incentive for you to get one by yourself. For example, you may start thinking, "look at that person, bragging about his expensive purchases on teh internets! Am I worse than him? No! Can I do it myself? Can I amass the same untold riches and glory??? Yes, I can! And I will prove to myself and everyone else that I can do it!" Then you may start to actually do that - study/work harder, be more ambitious, more oriented towards your new goal, start climbing the corporate ladder (or do it whatever other way you prefer), and after a dozen of years, while lazily basking in the midday sun on the deck of one of your 200-meter-long yachts, you may even remember poor old me and perhaps even thank me in your thoughts for doing this :wink:
:lol:

P.S: This is beginning to get somewhat off-topic, at least in this section of forums... So let's just stick to other numbers, not involving teh "$" (or any other currency's) sign in front of them :wink:
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: GTX Titan reviews and discussions

Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:05 pm

Hehe, I can't wait to get mine. I'll post up some benchmarks and stuff when I do; if anyone wants me to run some specific application on it, let me know and I'll be happy to oblige! \( `∀´)/

shivm
Gerbil

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 am

Sorry, johnC.
I myself admit that the thread is going off-road.
I am still in my sixteens, and I am really serious towards my future.
Well. AnandTech has reviewed the card in 2 shifts. Honourable 'Brian Clug' has even posted an descriptive article on various limitations of mobile imaging recently. AnandTech is popular because of well written, and informative articles like this.
Suggested reading.
I have noticed that the layout of the website is gradually changing (in a good way).
On my nokia x2-02, the quote button has gone. So I would have to use BB Code to quote someone in future.
"You are like me, if you feel like you have seen something like this earlier."
Blog: http://braindumptech.blogspot.com

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:57 pm

Well it turns out that my EVGA Titan is back ordered for a while, good news is that NCIX decided that they would air ship me out the Superclocked version of it instead that they did get stock of. Should be here tomorrow morning. :D

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:15 pm

Photos removed.
Last edited by JohnC on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:57 pm

JohnC wrote:
(image)
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:15 pm

...actually, Amazon got some Asus stock yesterday (after I made this screenshot), so...
"Shipment #1: Shipped on March 6, 2013
1 item - delivery estimate: March 11, 2013"
:wink:
Also, check your PM for teh tracking number :D

Edit: damn it, I just remembered that I forgot to add teh gift wrap :( Oh well, too late for that...

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:03 pm

Photos removed.
Last edited by JohnC on Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:11 pm

JohnC wrote:
Sooo... Let's see what we got today... A fancy t-shirt from EVGA? Something more than that?

This thing is a monster :o Crysis 3 runs pretty smooth at max settings, the total system power consumption is about 460W (according to the power display on my UPS unit) when playing it.

OK, enough talk. The only thing worse than an unboxing video on Youtube is an unboxing slide show :P

Now get to the good stuff. Such as, what sort of comfortable overclocks can you hit with the stock cooler? Do most Titans really hit 1100Mhz core on air?

And the next picture you post about your Titan better be something along the lines of a Unigine benchmark

That thing is a beauty though. If you cant tell, I'm at least a bit jealous :)

PS, That hand-stitched silk designer T-shirt definitely explains why they have to charge what they do.

drfish
Gerbil Elder

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Oh man, I want a GK110 really bad. Just not quite that bad. Congrats though. :D

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm

cynan wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Sooo... Let's see what we got today... A fancy t-shirt from EVGA? Something more than that?

This thing is a monster :o Crysis 3 runs pretty smooth at max settings, the total system power consumption is about 460W (according to the power display on my UPS unit) when playing it.

OK, enough talk. The only thing worse than an unboxing video on Youtube is an unboxing slide show :P

Now get to the good stuff. Such as, what sort of comfortable overclocks can you hit with the stock cooler? Do most Titans really hit 1100Mhz core on air?

And the next picture you post about your Titan better be something along the lines of a Unigine benchmark

That thing is a beauty though. If you cant tell, I'm at least a bit jealous :)

PS, That hand-stitched silk designer T-shirt definitely explains why they have to charge what they do.

Mine seem to max out at 1097, with no voltage adjustments... Not sure if it can go higher, and don't really care since it plays Crysis 3 perfectly even at stock settings :wink:
As for Unigine Valley benchmark - I already posted results in an appropriate thread :wink:

P.S: The fan seems to be slightly more loud than on GTX680 when running at full load (like when playing Crysis 3)... Not annoyingly so, though - just enough to serve as a useful "GPU load" audio indicator :wink:

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 pm

1097 seems close enough to 1100 MHz to me. I was going by what was being reported in an overclocking thread on another site, and you never know how exagerated reports about stuff like that in those threads are. An almost 25% (depending on how you factor in the boost clock) OC on stock voltage seems pretty good to me.

As for Unigine Valley benchmark - I already posted results in an appropriate thread :wink:

Really? On TR or somewhere else? That Titan benchmark you posted in the Unigine Valley thread wasn't yours (so it doesn't count!)

Anyway, enjoy the new toy (why are you even here right now instead of playing Crysis 3 or something?) :P

shivm
Gerbil

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:28 am

Soaking my eyes with its design. Congratulations everybody who got the card. :wink:
"You are like me, if you feel like you have seen something like this earlier."
Blog: http://braindumptech.blogspot.com

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 am

...great, now I'm getting a "coil whine" from my PSU when teh total system load goes above 400w... But, I guess as long as I don't get random reboots or anything like that - I can live with it :-?

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:03 pm

Hehe, my dad texted me to let me know it's there. I'll have to go by after work to get it.

─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Hehe, I got it. My camera on my phone is broken (actually, the whole phone barely works, but that's another story) so I couldn't take any pictures, but the packaging isn't nearly as fancy as the EVGA one JohnC got. Just a fairly simple box; large, but mostly unremarkable. Pretty standard evil/scary GPU packaging; the card was inside an anti-static bag inside foam underneath a smaller box with an installation guide and a driver CD. It came with a DVI-VGA adapter and a "2 molex to PCIe 6-pin" adapter.

I first tried to put it in my machine as it was; it wouldn't fit in my case! It's a big card!

Then, I took the whole machine apart and put it on my workbench; I reseated my CPU heatsink (been awhile, figured it could use it; temps getting kinda high) and used my air compressor to clean everything off like new. Got it all set up and ... my machine wouldn't POST!

Three hours later (four by the clock, thanks stupid DST!), I finally got it working -- turns out my motherboard doesn't support UEFI GOP properly! This was never a problem with my GTX 460s or the Radeon 7870 I briefly had, but I guess the TITAN wants UEFI GOP, so I had to disable EFI boot completely. This ended up not being a problem for me as I'm coincidentally running Windows 7 right now (was running 8 until recently; I moved back to 7 purely to test something -- I do prefer 8). I had to remove the GPU, boot using the IGP, set "PCI EFI Boot ROM" to "Legacy" instead of "EFI Ready", and THEN I could boot with the Titan installed. Boots faster, too!

ANYWAY, the card is working fine now but it was 4:50AM by the time I got the drivers and all installed and I'm working today. So yeah. Didn't really get the chance to play or run anything...

I played a tiny bit of Blacklight: Retribution -- with everything maxed-out and 4x MSAA I'm getting over 200 fps, lol...