Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Torment: Tides of Numenera (Planescape: Torment "sequel")

Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:26 pm

It's called a sequel but it's based in a new world. The Kickstarter started today and was fully funded in about 6 hours. I supported it pretty fast based upon what I'm seeing with the development of Wasteland 2, which I also supported. I'm pretty happy to see that the kinds of RPG's I liked 10-15 years ago are coming back thanks to Kickstarter! :D

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera (Planescape: Torment "sequel"

Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Excellent! Have to look at throwing my money their way!

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

Yes! This, a thousand times, yes!
Wind, Sand and Stars.

kvndoom

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 am

I literally got chills and goosebumps reading the kickstarter page. I'm down for that. I am SO down for that game. Just don't let EA publish it. :x
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

Voldenuit

Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:54 am

kvndoom wrote:
I literally got chills and goosebumps reading the kickstarter page. I'm down for that. I am SO down for that game. Just don't let EA publish it. :x

Then it would be called 'Torment: Dungeons of Raidmoor', or 'Torment:DRM' for short. :p
Wind, Sand and Stars.

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am

My only reservation is that Chris Avellone presumably isn't going to be involved, as he's already tied up with his own Kickstarter-backed Project Eternity, as well as lending a hand on Wasteland 2. Maybe he'll lend a hand on this too, but I'd be happier if he was fully on-board leading the project.

I suppose I have to let go of the idea that there's only a couple of designers in the industry that are any good, and hope that some new stars rise to the limelight through projects like this. I'm just especially concerned when this game lives or dies on the quality of its writing.

GrimDanfango
Gerbil First Class

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Hmm, then again, I agree, the kickstarter outline really does make all the right noises.
I think one of the reasons I loved the original so much was that it genuinely made me feel like I was immersed in something that was cleverer than me, that I couldn't really ever hope to understand it entirely. The kickstarter page is giving me a similar feeling :-)

Edit: Also, I checked out some of the Wasteland 2 progress for the first time. I wasn't actually expecting much, but holy crap! It's Fallout 3!... the proper one, not that fan-fiction horsecrap Bethesda knocked out.
Yup, I think it might be time to get backing inXile :-)

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:13 pm

I backed this game at the $110 level. It was worth the risk to me. Wasteland and PS:T were easily my two favorite all time games. PS:T had a story head and shoulders above almost all other RPGs.

I see they are getting work done with Wasteland 2 so I optimistically believe they will really produce some good work.

BerserkBen
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:23 pm

24 hours to go and they are going for $4 million. They might set a new total record for games.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:08 pm

Sounds promising! Have a spare $1k I can donate, think I'll go for it...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people