Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Break-in Period for Cherry MX Brown?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:18 am

Hi,

I've got two keyboards that both use Cherry MX Brown switches. The first is a Das Keyboard Silent that I bought about two and half years ago and the other is a Filco Tenkey-less that I bought about three months ago.

The thing is, typing on the Das Keyboard feels so much better. Has any one noticed some sort of break-in period for mechanical switches and will my Filco feel good in a few months or is there just some variation among different brands of keyboards?

mortifiedPenguin
Gerbil Elite

Re: Break-in Period for Cherry MX Brown?

Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:52 am

I have a Das S and a Black Widow Ultimate Stealth (2013). Both are Cherry Browns but I haven't really noticed a difference between the two... at least, not one that is large enough to carry over from when I return home from the office where the Das resides to the Black Widow at home. I've had the Das for about a year and a half while the Black Widow is about 3 months old.
2600K @ 4.8GHz; XSPC Rasa/RX240/RX120 Phobya Xtreme 200; Asus P8Z68-V Pro; 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1333 C9; 2x7970 OC w/ Razor 7970; Force GT 120GB; 3x F3 1TB; Corsair HX750; X-Fi Titanium; Corsair Obsidian 650D; Dell 2408WFP Rev. A01; 2x Dell U2412m

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:11 pm

The only thing I've noticed is that a few of the keys on my MX blue based 'boards squeaked a little bit for the first few weeks. It was the larger keys (Backspace, Enter, etc.) that tended to do this, so I assume it was an issue with the stabilizer springs.

Probably somewhat of an apples-to-oranges thing, since the internal mechanism of the browns is slightly different.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 am

It's possible that after 2.5 years the older of the two units has loosened up slightly, since all things do wear.

It's also possible that in the intervening two-ish years between when the two units were manufactured, Cherry has experienced some minor variation in how the switches are manufactured.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:06 pm

I have 4 keyboards with MX Browns. The oldest is a Filco Majestouch (original version), and is 3.5 years old now.

Over time, the touch has lightened up a bit. Not sure if it's the keys or my typing, but I feel the so called tactile feedback more, so bottom out the keys less often. I'd say it's just as solid as ever. When new, the larger keys squeaked, with back-space being the worst. The spacebar stopped squeaking by itself in a month or two. For back-space, a light coat of dry teflon spray lube fixed the squeaks.

At this point, I'd say the Filco and the Rosewill RK9000BR are tied for my favorite. For a while, the Rosewill was in the lead, mostly because of its crisper feel, but I think it has loosened up a bit over time. There's also a thread going here about minor surgeries to keep the Rosewill's alive, while my Filco has never had an issue.

Personally, I don't like the newer Filco's quite as much as the older ones. I have a Filco Ninja 10-keyless that I do no like near as much as older Majestouch or the Rosewills. But, time will tell, since the older Filco is getting better with age.

Edit: Just checked, it's 3 1/2 years old.

keltor
Gerbil First Class

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:51 am

Main keyboard was made in 1988, still feels exactly the same as the day I got it in 1992.

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:09 am

It's been about 6-months since I started to this thread and I can report that I've not noticed any really difference.

I still prefer my Das Keyboard to the Filco Majestouch.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:38 am

I'm gonna bump this in relation to this thread.

I picked up a Rosewill 9000I with blues and installed the O-rings so that I could use it at work, and the rings make this one feel very different from my Blackwidow, and not in a good way. I'm hoping that there is some sort of "break-in" period, but if not, I am going to assume that it's the keycap design.

I'll be a little upset if this ends up not working out.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.