Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

NOOOOOOOB

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Alright -- I'm a noob here, bring it on. I've been a long time lurker (not all that long 2-3 years) just reading articles and random threads around here and I finally felt it appropriate to join in on things.

There's this dorky guy around here...Waco? lol Yea -- well he and I are getting married next month -- CHEERS! So if you know him...I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Basic Background for me...

Yup -- I'm female, deal with it.
I'm a Mechanical Engineer working as a Systems Engineer at Los Alamos National Lab for their High Performance Computing Division (FANCY!!! -- no)
I also review computer hardware on the side -- nothing too fancy, just write for overclockersclub.com (wanted to write for TR, but I'm probably not good enough)

So yea -- questions? Ask away, looks like it should be fun getting to know some of you fools.

:P

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: NOOOOOOOB

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 pm

BluePanda wrote:
I also review computer hardware on the side -- nothing too fancy, just write for overclockersclub.com (wanted to write for TR, but I'm probably not good enough)

Welcome. You at LANL will see toys us elder geeks only dream of.

As for the writing, choose something, write it up, and send it to the site. All they can do is say no and, having met the boss, he's likely to give you tips on how to make it better.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:13 am

Captain Ned wrote:
BluePanda wrote:

Welcome. You at LANL will see toys us elder geeks only dream of.

As for the writing, choose something, write it up, and send it to the site. All they can do is say no and, having met the boss, he's likely to give you tips on how to make it better.

The things I've seen so far are pretty EPIC and the things to come are only more to drool over...it's a pretty great place to work and I've joined in at a good time.

As for the writing -- I know what caliper you guys take on -- I'd never hold up to them, but perhaps it's worth shooting something over in time...lol.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:41 am

BluePanda wrote:
I'm a Mechanical Engineer working as a Systems Engineer at Los Alamos National Lab for their High Performance Computing Division

Ahh, interesting. What sort of things is the HPC Division at LANL doing these days? I worked on an early massively parallel system (ACPMAPS, at Fermilab around 20 years ago).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:07 am

just brew it! wrote:
BluePanda wrote:
I'm a Mechanical Engineer working as a Systems Engineer at Los Alamos National Lab for their High Performance Computing Division

Ahh, interesting. What sort of things is the HPC Division at LANL doing these days? I worked on an early massively parallel system (ACPMAPS, at Fermilab around 20 years ago).

Well you know how it is then...can't say a lot. :P

However, the RFP for Trinity is out there on the net -- you can probably get a few ideas out of that...

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:23 am

Is this an AMA sort of thing?

Alright then, what would you rather fight? 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:46 am

Arclight wrote:

Alright then, what would you rather fight? 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?

LANL = One of the two labs that built & still manage Instant Sunshine devices. No idea if she's in that program (and she better not say), but in any lab like this there's strict boundaries into what you're allowed to know and what you're forbidden to know. Of course, speaking nothing about what you know is Rule #1. Dad was military with tangential associations to Instant Sunshine, so I get this.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:36 am

BluePanda wrote:
Well you know how it is then...can't say a lot. :P

Actually, Fermilab's stuff was unclassified. Far enough removed from practical application that the Pentagon didn't care. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
Actually, Fermilab's stuff was unclassified. Far enough removed from practical application that the Pentagon didn't care. :wink:

Tevatrons aren't exactly deliverable devices.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:02 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Arclight wrote:

LANL = One of the two labs that built & still manage Instant Sunshine devices. No idea if she's in that program (and she better not say), but in any lab like this there's strict boundaries into what you're allowed to know and what you're forbidden to know. Of course, speaking nothing about what you know is Rule #1. Dad was military with tangential associations to Instant Sunshine, so I get this.

Not familiar with AMA?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ama

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:04 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Not familiar with AMA?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ama

Nope. I know, I'm old.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Well she did say "questions?" so I assume so.

I have one but everyone says I shouldn't ask for help with my homework on the forums, so I'll go post that on reddit.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I have one but everyone says I shouldn't ask for help with my homework on the forums, so I'll go post that on reddit.

I wish my "homework" was amenable to crowd-sourcing.

Black Applesauce
Gerbil

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:24 pm

BluePanda wrote:
Alright -- I'm a noob here, bring it on. I've been a long time lurker (not all that long 2-3 years) just reading articles and random threads around here and I finally felt it appropriate to join in on things.

There's this dorky guy around here...Waco? lol Yea -- well he and I are getting married next month -- CHEERS! So if you know him...I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Basic Background for me...

Yup -- I'm female, deal with it.
I'm a Mechanical Engineer working as a Systems Engineer at Los Alamos National Lab for their High Performance Computing Division (FANCY!!! -- no)

So yea -- questions? Ask away, looks like it should be fun getting to know some of you fools.

I was a lurker for a couple years before I joined...wish I had joined sooner :D
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
-Bill Gates

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I wish my "homework" was amenable to crowd-sourcing.

I wish I was back in the days where I had homework and it wasn't something I needed to put food on the table. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 pm

You guys derail threads here just as well as everywhere else -- looks like I'll fit in okay. :P

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:03 pm

It has happened. :o

Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Waco wrote:
What has happened? She's not the first lady on these boards, yanno... (◕︿◕✿)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:52 pm

auxy wrote:
Waco wrote:
What has happened? She's not the first lady on these boards, yanno... (◕︿◕✿)

She's my fiancee. :lol:
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Waco wrote:
She's my fiancee. :lol:
Yah, I know; she said as much. I was just wondering what you meant, that's all. (´-`;)

cybot_x1024
Gerbil

Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Very much humbled by OP :D . I wish more women would come around these very much male dominated forums
Also I dont post much, but I just had to reply to OPs thread. All the best. I hope they treat you well.

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:49 pm

cybot_x1024 wrote:
Very much humbled by OP :D . I wish more women would come around these very much male dominated forums
Also I dont post much, but I just had to reply to OPs thread. All the best. I hope they treat you well.

Thanks! It's always interesting joining a "dominated" forum. For the most part the boys behave well enough and are usually as nice as I am to them...lol. I appreciate the nice words! We females do exist! :o

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Waco wrote:

A gerbil that can get women to not only like him, but to join the fourm?

You two GOTTA make it to the TR BBQ ~X~.
Waco, she cared enough to not only say "yes," but even joined the forums. She is special and you must show her off to us, if for no other reason then to make sure it isn't just you with two accounts :lol:

Welcome to the forum :)

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:22 pm

Dposcorp wrote:
Waco wrote:

A gerbil that can get women to not only like him, but to join the fourm?

You two GOTTA make it to the TR BBQ ~X~.
Waco, she cared enough to not only say "yes," but even joined the forums. She is special and you must show her off to us, if for no other reason then to make sure it isn't just you with two accounts :lol:

Welcome to the forum :)

Because I'm imaginary? lol. This isn't the first time I've gotten this joining forums associated with Waco. :P

However, the BBQ would be a hell of a haul to make...

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:18 am

Welcome.

Hope you'll have a good time here.

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:19 am

BluePanda wrote:

However, the BBQ would be a hell of a haul to make...

Ask the guys that drive and fly in from 1000, 2000, 3000 miles away if it is worth it; they make a weekend of it in the area. :)
Seriously, post in the thread and at least see the responses.
Also, look up the threads from the last few years to see pics and video of how awesome it is.

wingless
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:52 am

YOU WORK AT LOS ALAMOS?!

Do you know Stu and Laura? He works in the resonance lab and she's a chemist. Of course there are thousands of people there, but just on the off chance you know of them I had to ask.
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | Silverstone 750W | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | ASUS Xonar DSX/S.M.S.L. M2 USB DAC | Samsung 840 Pro | A bunch of HDDs and a lot of TBs.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:27 pm

I get that all the time -- "You worked at Fermilab? Do you know so-and-so?"

9 times out of 10 the answer is "no". It was a huge place, and most of the people I worked with closely while I was there have moved on to other jobs (either voluntarily or involuntarily) since then. There are actually a half dozen ex-Fermilab people where I work now.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Geez, nothing makes you feel like a stupid kid accomplishing nothing in life at a dead-end job like reading about your fellow gerbils working on practical nuclear physics at LANL and Fermilab... (╥﹏╥)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:32 pm

You're young, you've still got time to sort it all out.

I'm not particularly crazy about my current job, and I'm getting rather far along in years to still be figuring out what I want to do when I grow up. :-?