Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: RPG recomendations

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:58 pm

Another vote for Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas.

I didn't like Oblivion at all. The world felt very large and very empty to me. The story was dull and uninteresting. The combat was boring.

The recent Fallout games on the other hand didn't have any of those problems. The worlds were full of characters and interesting quests, but at the same time you could go exploring and find interesting things that were off the beaten path. The story in both the main quests and the side quests were interesting. And the game was fun to play. Also, you can pick up both New Vegas and 3 for less than Skyrim.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 am

JohnC wrote:
IMAGES WERE HERE
Hey John, I am not a mod, but those images might break forum rules. You might want to set them up as hyperlinks that click away from the forums.

Just trying to keep things friendly.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:27 pm

I don't see how they would break any rules - there are no sexual acts in them or any visible naked body parts which some **** people might consider "too damaging for the fragile children's psyche" :roll: Just a, well, certain melee weapon which can only be used as such (due to its physical length) and is, therefore, not much different (except maybe color and being less lethal) than the melee weapons in Skyrim :wink:
Anyway, it's up to mods to decide what is kosher and what is verboten, so I'll just leave it as it is.
Last edited by Captain Ned on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please do not work around the word filter.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

superjawes

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:31 pm

I can see that...I just saw them at work, and they are definitely not work appropriate as I would not be comfortable if my boss looked over my shoulder and saw that.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:46 pm

Let's just say that those images stretch the absolute boundary of TR acceptability.

For the recent flock of new members, "Thanks for listening" denotes my formal mod voice. Given my posting habits I found it easier to mark mod posts rather than mark posts as non-mod.

Thanks for listening.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Voldenuit

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:48 pm

So... anyone here play Dwarf Fortress?

I've been mulling it over for a while and been a bit scared (to be honest) of dipping my foot in.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:07 pm

Breath of Fire III
Xenogears
Final Fantasy Tactics
Ogre Battle
Grandia I and II
Thousand Arms (probably the strangest JRPG I've played, has a dating minigame baked in that levels new abilities and what not. Pretty fun if not awkward.)

Xenogears gets the nod for the best game I've ever played. The graphics are not great but the story is the best of any game or genre I've ever played. Very, very good. If you play it, get immersed in the story, you'll love it.

Voldenuit

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:41 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I didn't like Oblivion at all. The world felt very large and very empty to me. The story was dull and uninteresting. The combat was boring.

The recent Fallout games on the other hand didn't have any of those problems. The worlds were full of characters and interesting quests, but at the same time you could go exploring and find interesting things that were off the beaten path. The story in both the main quests and the side quests were interesting. And the game was fun to play. Also, you can pick up both New Vegas and 3 for less than Skyrim.

It's worth noting that you can dislike Oblivion and still like Skyrim.

Long time Elder Scrolls player here - my first exposure was with Daggerfall, which I played almost obsessively for years on end. Loved Daggerfall, Morrowind and didn't really care for Battlespire or Oblivion (although I later enjoyed the Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion quite a bit). I did however really like Skyrim, to the point that it's my favorite Elder Scrolls game so far. My problem with Oblivion was that the game was lacking in character compared to Morrowind and Skyrim and as a result felt more bland and generic. Shivering Isles fixes this (somewhat) though with a very distinctive large area to explore.

I also like Fallout 1, 2, 3 and New Vegas tremendously, so I'm not disparaging TurtlePerson2's recommendation in any way.

My favorite CRPG of all time is still The Magic Candle, an old DOS game with an expansive world that was open for exploration. I still have it on DOSBox on my laptop and desktop, although in 12+ years of playing it, I've never gotten around to finishing the damn thing :p.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Dwarf Fortress is really interesting, but also really buggy (at least it was when I played it--it's two guys and only one of them codes so things happen slowly). You can mod it really easily if you want to dial down the difficulty and/or work around some of the 'features' so I wouldn't let its reputation scare you off if you want a complex management/builder type game.

It is also one of just a few non-academic applications that has the ability to eat 100% of your CPU, which is kind of neat.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 pm

superjawes wrote:
Saints Row 3 has a lot of RPG elements...and that's really where RPGs (outside of JRPGs) are going. Those elements make games more compelling.
Hehe, that's true. I actually didn't think about all the leveling up and advancement, and all the character customization. (‘◇’) I guess it is pretty RPG-y, although there's very little choice in terms of story progression, but then, if that was a requirement to be an RPG then all those JRPGs would have to be thrown out. (*・艸・)
superjawes wrote:
Although if you REALLY want lots of loot, base building, open world, and fantasy, I don't think it can get any better than Minecraft :lol:
Hahaha! (*≧▽≦)ノシ In all seriousness Minecraft is a pretty great game!
Voldenuit wrote:
I did however really like Skyrim, to the point that it's my favorite Elder Scrolls game so far. My problem with Oblivion was that the game was lacking in character compared to Morrowind and Skyrim and as a result felt more bland and generic.
Me too! I started TES with Morrowind, and I loved how strange and alien the island of Vvardenfell was, especially the bizarre Telvanni structures. I went back and tried to play Daggerfall, because my elder brother sneered at the "console-ized" and simplified mechanics of Morrowind compared to the earlier game, but I couldn't get into it -- he insisted I was just objecting to the simpler graphics and clumsier gameplay, but it was really the boring generic medieval fantasy setting that made me lose interest. Fast-forward to 2006 when I was in highschool; he was nuts for Oblivion (mostly for technical reasons, since it was pretty amazing when it came out), and while I enjoyed the game, I found it much less interesting than Morrowind. Fast-forward again to Skyrim and we've once again flip-flopped, although we both really like the game and agree that considered objectively, Skyrim is the best of the TES saga.
Though he really likes Redguard, for some reason.
Anyway, tl;dr -- Oblivion is kind of boring for people who play games as much for design as for gameplay. (・∀・)

kumori
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:15 am

I just recently went back and played Fallout New Vegas again and really enjoyed it. I had never played the DLC before and thought it added a lot to the game (especially Dead Money).

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:58 pm

kumori wrote:
I just recently went back and played Fallout New Vegas again and really enjoyed it. I had never played the DLC before and thought it added a lot to the game (especially Dead Money).
I've been meaning to replay FONV again myself but I just haven't found the time to do so. Well, that is, time to download dozens of GBs of mods and get them all working together. (;゙°´ω°´)

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:58 pm

I was looking around on Steam yesterday and found that Skyrim dropped in price from $49 to $39 so I picked it up. I played for 4 hours and didn't notice the time go by. Losing track of time is a good sign I am going to like a game. Seriously, I sat through the sun going down and not notice till I realized I needed to use the restroom and discovered the room was totally dark. If it can hold my attention like this its going to be good. I went and picked up the three DLC's well.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Khali wrote:
I was looking around on Steam yesterday and found that Skyrim dropped in price from $49 to $39 so I picked it up. I played for 4 hours and didn't notice the time go by. Losing track of time is a good sign I am going to like a game. Seriously, I sat through the sun going down and not notice till I realized I needed to use the restroom and discovered the room was totally dark. If it can hold my attention like this its going to be good. I went and picked up the three DLC's well.

I've just gotten back into Skyrim myself, for the DLCs- make sure you pick up the Unofficial Skyrim mods/patches for the game and the DLCs.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:33 pm

Also the high-res textures pack (and the unofficial patch for it) if you've got a sufficiently puissant video card. You'll want at least 1GB of VRAM and preferably 2GB.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 pm

I've been having a blast with Skyrim. I've never played any of the other Elder Scrolls games.

The only negative about it is that it's a freaking time vacuum. It's one of those games where you end up looking at the clock and realizing it's 3am and you have work tomorrow but you really wanna at least get out of this ruin and once you're out of the ruin you might as well take the item you went there to find back to the city and to the guy who asked for it but on the way to him this lady runs up to you and asks you to do go find something else and it sounds really interesting and like something you could probably do in a few minutes so what the hell...

But yeah, it's a fun game. The combat can get a little repetitive after a while, but there is a good variety of enemies. The dragon fights are great, especially when there are multiple dragons. The story isn't Shakespeare but it's good, certainly solid enough to keep it interesting. The world is very impressive; very detailed, lots of people, lots of interactive items, books with actual content, etc.

I like that the character is very wide open... you don't really pick a "class" per say, but rather get better at things to do, and can choose to upgrade things you think will be useful. My character is a Nord who specializes in the greatsword, but he's got decent magic abilities too.

Actually I can think of two minor complaints... first, the game difficulty doesn't scale enough. As you level up, enemies do scale upward especially in the underground areas, but not as much as they could. Second, the dragons are (at least in my opinion) a bit under-powered considering their role in the story.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Somehow I always wind up playing stealthy archers with a secondary emphasis in 1-handers and shields. I'll try changing this character into a spellsword once I get done with the Dark Brotherhood thread.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

allreadydead
Gerbil

Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

There is an enhanced version of Baldur's Gate, called Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (D'oh). It's $19.99 and you will have no excuses to quit in the middle of it. Because;
1. It's a classic.
2. It's not JUST a classic, It's Baldur's Gate.
3. It has fancy graphics now but good ol' story telling and everything there.
4. Did I mention it's TEH Baldur's Gate ?

While you are at it, buy D&D anthology pack so you will get Icewind Dale series too ;)

/oldtimer

Addendum: on MMO side, you have one option if you like DAoC; Warhammer Online. Almost a Dead Game but still;
1. It's Warhammer Fantasy
2. It has IMMENSE RvR and PvP experience. It's really addictive
3. The PvE and the World deserves the word "MASSIVE": I know ppl who actually quit and came back just for the lore.
4. FOR THE EMPIRE !111
[email protected] GHz, Noctua C14 to keep it cool, ASUS Z68-V PRO/GEN3, 2x4 GB DDR3-1600 G-SKILL RipjawsX, EVGA GTX970 SSC+, Seasonic X750W (no coil whine, yay), 1x256GB Samsung 830 SSD, 2xSamsung 1 TB RAID 0, 1x2 TB WD Green, NEC 7173-S, Enermax Chakra

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:40 am

I went with the Steam version because they say you can get mods right from steam and they auto install. Well, that isn't working for me at all. I have the DLC's I paid for but none of the other mods I wanted to try even show up in my data files page. Not sure what the issue is right now. Will have to do some research and hope to find a answer.

dkanter
Gerbil

Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:31 am

I'd recommend:

Skyrim
Neverwinter Nights 2 & Mask of the Betrayer (the expansion)
Deus Ex 1-3
Vampire the Masquerade
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2

David

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:39 am

I have all three Deus Ex games, I got a package deal off of Steam a while back pretty cheap. I had the first two already on disk, but the packed included all the games for $5 more than just buying Human Revolution by itself. I started playing the second game the other day and it kept crashing and now I can't get past the main menu before it crashes. Not sure what the issue is but its related to Steam in some way. When it did work it kept dropping to desk top then back to the game when you changed zones in game. I never had this issue with the copy I have on disk. A lot of people bash the Dues Ex 2, but for all its flaws its still a decent game to play. The main issue with it is the obvious fact it was dumbed down to be played on a console.

I have the Neverwinter Nights collection. Never got very far in it because I do not like top down games. I know you can play NWN 2 in other modes than top down but I never got into it since I had other games calling for my attention at the time. I will have to give it another try soon.

Vampire the Masquerade
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale 1 & 2

I have never tried any of these except Baldur's Gate years ago. I honestly don't remember much about it now. I will give these a look.

superjawes

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:44 am

If you're having technical issues with a Steam game, be sure to check out the community forums. I had crash issues with Fallout 3, and there was already documentation on how to fix the problem (related to multi-core CPUs).

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:48 pm

superjawes wrote:
If you're having technical issues with a Steam game, be sure to check out the community forums. I had crash issues with Fallout 3, and there was already documentation on how to fix the problem (related to multi-core CPUs).

I did that, seems like a common issue and the one fix I found did not work for DE2. Its just odd that the version I have on disk works just fine but the Steam version has all kinds of issues. I have not given up yet, will do some more searching for a answer.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:12 pm

Khali wrote:
Vampire the Masquerade
I have never tried.... I will give these a look.
Troika folded immediately upon release of this game in 2004. You'll need the unofficial patch to get it to work right. Check out this previous thread:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=77417&p=1083348&hilit=#p1083260
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:16 pm

allreadydead wrote:
There is an enhanced version of Baldur's Gate, called Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition (D'oh). It's $19.99 and you will have no excuses to quit in the middle of it. Because;
1. It's a classic.
2. It's not JUST a classic, It's Baldur's Gate.
3. It has fancy graphics now but good ol' story telling and everything there.
4. Did I mention it's TEH Baldur's Gate ?

While you are at it, buy D&D anthology pack so you will get Icewind Dale series too ;)

/oldtimer

What I want to know about this, that I cannot find online, is if it will run on W8 x64 with Intel HD3000. They say 'NO' Intel graphics, and relate that loosely to OpenGL 2.0 support, but I wonder if that information is just outdated. I'd love to get this running on my lightweight laptop.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
What I want to know about this, that I cannot find online, is if it will run on W8 x64 with Intel HD3000. They say 'NO' Intel graphics, and relate that loosely to OpenGL 2.0 support, but I wonder if that information is just outdated. I'd love to get this running on my lightweight laptop.
Intel's OpenGL driver in Windows is hilariously terrible, so, probably not. It won't even run Doom 3.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:37 pm

Skyrim is definitely a keeper. I like it so well that I have given up getting Morrowind setup again with all the mods I like to play with. I loved Morrowind but hated Oblivion and was worried Skyrim would be a disappointment to me like Oblivion was. I can't point to one thing that I did not like about Oblivion but I simply did not enjoy it at all. I think the biggest let down in Oblivion was how all the characters looked, they were just plain ugly to me and there was not a mod to fix the issue at the time. Plus the various story lines in Oblivion all seemed disjointed in some way. I wanted to like Oblivion since it was the continuation of the Elder Scrolls story line and I played it several hours a day for over a week. But for what ever reason I lost interest and have never gone back to try it again.

Skyrim on the other hand is seems to hit the sweet spot for me. I had my doubts at first sitting through the wagon ride to town to get beheaded. Once the dragon showed up things got interesting in a hurry. At least Bethesda is consistent with how the games start. Your a prisoner so things have to get better from because they can't get much worse except death. The things I like about Skyrim could make a very large list but here are my highlights. (Since I did not get very far into Oblivion and only played it for a short while I don't remember a lot about it so I will confine my comparisons to Morrowind.)The graphics are real good, I wish they would go back and re make Morrowind with these graphics. You can dual wield weapons and the system works with it, unlike Morrowind. The fast travel system is a improvement over having to find a mages guild so you can teleport. The crafting system is very nice as well. Being able to upgrade a weapon is something Morrowind lacked.

There are a few things I miss from Morrowind though. Being able to join one of the three houses is one of them. I always liked getting my stronghold and upgrading it as I advanced up the house ranks. Bethesda must have seen the lack of the strongholds as a issue as well since they addressed the problem with the Hearthfire DLC. This will get you the land and the ability to build a stronghold type building. However, it does not recreate the great houses and advancing up the ranks. I also miss being able to put points into strength as I level up so I can increase how much loot I can carry. Having a follower/companion offsets this to a large degree but it is still annoying on the few missions you can't take them with you.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:46 am

As far as improving strength goes, you get an extra 5 pounds carry weight whenever you level up and choose to increase stamina. If you've got IIRC 60 points in pickpocket you can choose a perk to give you 100 extra carry weight, and lastly you can enchant some wearable items to improve the stat. Potions too, but those are for a limited time.
Hakkaa päälle!

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 am

That explains a bit. I focused on health at first and just started putting points into stamina. I will have to give pick pocketing a look and work on that in the next few levels.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:08 pm

I didn't know about the pickpocket thing- but there is a necklace/amulet that you get in the Forgotten Veil on a Dawnguard side quest that gives you +50 Stamina/Carry weight. Lately I've just focused on getting my smithing and enchanting skills all the way up. I've got my Dragonbone Plate and Battle Axe, but I still need to work on the enchanting to get the dual-enchants. I'm probably going to have to get some mod-generated quests so that I can level up enough :/.