Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

SC 2 HOTS story discussions

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:26 pm

So, Starcraft 2 Heart of the Sworm just launched and i saw the ending cinematic on youtube (you can go search it yourselves, it's very spoilorific) and i was wondering how the story will go on in Legacy of the Void and possibly how the story will end.

What do you guys think so far? Did you enjoy HOTS or where you dissapointed by the ending? Do you think they will manage an epic ending for this franchise in Legacy of the Void?

Edit: Obviously this thread will be filled with spoilers, read at your own risk, you have been warned. I shall use no spoiler BB code as the spoilers come by default in this thread.
Last edited by Arclight on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: SC 2 HOTS story discussions

Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:33 pm

I think I'm *this close* to starting HotS. By the weekend I'll have something to contribute. Right now I need to play through All In one more time and I'll go on to HotS.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Arclight wrote:
So, Starcraft 2 Heart of the Sworm just launched and i saw the ending cinematic on youtube (you can go search it yourselves, it's very spoilorific) and i was wondering how the story will go on in Legacy of the Void and possibly how the story will end.

What do you guys think so far? Did you enjoy HOTS or where you dissapointed by the ending? Do you think they will manage an epic ending for this franchise in Legacy of the Void?

why would you watch the ending before playing through?
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:48 pm

I just have to believe I'm being lied to. There's no way Raynor is dead, though it makes sense that she'd flip her lid if she believed it to be true. So far I like it. I just completed the frozen tundra mission where you get roaches and I'm off to bed. I'm playing on Hard and I'm finding it to...well...not really be, just yet. But that might change I'm sure.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:09 am

danny e. wrote:
Arclight wrote:

why would you watch the ending before playing through?

Because it's been a decade since i finished the BroodWar campaign and 4? years since Wings of Liberty. Ofc i'm gonna watch the ending cinematic since i've been waiting for so long.Multiplayer i was never that good, but i always enjoyed the single player and especially the lore.
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 am

There's one thing that Blizzard does right and that Lore. They weave some intricate stories into the big picture. Just as they have in WoW with Garrosh being the Horde leader as of right now, but there are quests that are starting to show some other Horde leaders are unsettled by Garrosh's tight reins and are actively trying to undermine him. This story will definitely come into play at the end of MoP and the next xpac.

So far I am enjoying SCII part deux.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:49 am

tanker27 wrote:
There's one thing that Blizzard does right and that Lore. They weave some intricate stories into the big picture. Just as they have in WoW with Garrosh being the Horde leader as of right now, but there are quests that are starting to show some other Horde leaders are unsettled by Garrosh's tight reins and are actively trying to undermine him. This story will definitely come into play at the end of MoP and the next xpac.

So far I am enjoying SCII part deux.

With WoW, I'll admit I got really excited to see Lor'themar Theron talking about overthrowing Garrosh at the start of the Isle of Thunder Campaign, and this is after the Vol'jin scenario got me all tingly.

The above spoiler is for 5.2 content, the below might spoil later content.

They announced at some point that the final content patch would introduce a raid on Orgrimmar, with the final boss being Garrosh. They've also muddied up what that actually means, but I feel like that conflict will come to a head for sure. Good thing, too. I would love to take down Garrosh.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Imo a better version of the story in HOTS would have been for Kerrigan, Raynor and Mengsk to die, have Valerian flee to the Fallen One and let Matt and Warfield (and possibly Nova) help Zeratul in Legacy of the Void to fight the good fight.

The scene where Kerrigan kills Warfield, yet another brave man needlessly killed that will never get HIS revenge on her, makes me realize i could never be at peace with an ending where she gets to be happy.

If they wanted romance so much that could have been possible with Matt and Nova. Ha, now that would have been something.
Last edited by Arclight on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:49 pm

Spoiler tags. I mean, it's probably no surprise that that would happen, and it's alluded to very early on, but...spoiler tags.

In other news I'll be back in this thread after the weekend when I finish the campaign. :lol:

Arclight
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Spoiler tags. I mean, it's probably no surprise that that would happen, and it's alluded to very early on, but...spoiler tags.

I edited the first post and warned people not to read if they don't want spoilers.....

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 pm

I still think the trilogy is going to end with Raynor pulling a Tassadar against Dark Voice a.k.a Kil'jaeden in space! Kerrigan is going unexpectedly die before the final fight, which throws everybody off and their hopes seemed dashed. They will try to stop Kil'jaeden and his minions in a final bout that will resemble the apocalypse mission in the first chapter except you have Terrans and Zerg to help out, but will still not be enough. When all hope seems to be lost, Raynor somehow pulls it through at end at the cost of his life.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

superjawes

Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:33 am

I decided to marathon tonight and finish the campaign. The bit when Raynor "died" definitely hooked me. Not that I really believed it, but I knew that **** was going down from then on.

With regards to Kerrigan and happy endings, she didn't get one here. The ending monologue was pretty telling with how she's had to give up everything just to be ready for the final battle, which is shaping up to be quite interesting.

I think the most important bit from this campaign is how connected things were, like Dr. Narud and the Tal'darim (sp?) working for hybrids/The Fallen One/Anum/Kil'jaden in space. Everything and everyone from the Wings seemed to be involved at some point in time, in addition to the nuggets left for extra arcs in Legacy.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 pm

Since the OP has been updated to mention spoilers, I won't bother with the tag, but if you haven't played then I guess it's very obvious these are huge ending spoilers.

Legacy of the Void could come out tomorrow and I'd gladly shell out the $40. There were a couple missions that kind of annoyed me, like the mission with Mira Han felt like you were undoing something you did in Wings of Liberty. But that's what this was all about, right? The Xel'Naga artifact awoke Amon as well as turned Sarah human again, so because of that you helped out what I guess was Samir Duran from Brood War - the Dark Voice in WoL? Something else entirely? I dunno.

Yeah, it was clear there was no happy ending here, but I feel like Kerrigan needed to get this closure with Mengsk/Raynor in order to be able to properly face the Xel'Naga. I'm a little unclear on a few things, which is OK - I had assumed that Dr. Narud was Duran, and I was sure of it up until I killed Dr. Narud. Now I guess Duran was someone else, because Narud seemed very human and Duran exposed himself in the BW hidden mission to be something else entirely, from of old. Not Amon, because Amon awoke when you used the artifact in WoL. This is definitely where the story needed to be going into Legacy of the Void.

I loved seeing Stukov again. I felt a huge amount of sympathy for DuGalle in the ending of the Terran campaign in BW when he writes that letter home and then kills himself. It felt a little retconned to bring this UED guy back from the dead, but not impossible I guess.

Gameplay-wise I was really disappointed that I couldn't inject larva. It was a huge step back, back into the BW days of building more hatcheries than I really should have had to, though I like that they auto-transfused and that spawning creep tumors didn't use energy. Definitely way differently balanced than the multiplayer game. I loved some of the permanent evolutions and how they nodded to BW units, like the obvious Lurker and also the respawning Ultralisk Torrasque. Nice touches.

So I guess now Valerian assumes control of the Dominion, Raynor is pardoned of all crimes and potentially made a higher-up in the Dominion military, and we'll get a good look at what the Protoss have been doing. Will there continue to be war with the Tal Darim? I assume so.

superjawes

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm guessing Amon might already have some zerg at his disposal, but if not, they did leave a broodmother out in a protoss ship, so there's your zerg enemy. Dominion probably will have some remnants, so there's a terrran enemy. And Tal'darim are almost guaranteed to be the bad toss in Legacy. Enemies all around!

As for mechanics, inject larva is gone so queens can be more useful. If you noticed, your larva spawns more quickly and caps at a higher number than multiplayer to compensate. I do like how your creep spread can be better with more queens on that front, but you can still spread it well without putting queens on the front lines. You can still drop macro hatches if you need to (I usually did on missions).

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:21 pm

it all seemed very short to me. 6 to 8 hours of gameplay isnt enough.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:23 pm

Lots of Zergs (at least down here at the gold level) are spawning more than 1 queen per hatch to spread creep, and yeah you can spread it pretty fast. I did notice that I could get up to 5 larva, but I did not notice they spawned faster. If that's the case then I guess it makes up for it. I still had lots of macro hatches. :lol:

superjawes

Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Lots of Zergs (at least down here at the gold level) are spawning more than 1 queen per hatch to spread creep, and yeah you can spread it pretty fast. I did notice that I could get up to 5 larva, but I did not notice they spawned faster. If that's the case then I guess it makes up for it. I still had lots of macro hatches. :lol:

It's hard to be economical when they give you a lot of starting structures in the campaign...so macro hatches are always a good choice!

But yeah, that was the tradeoff for campaign. No inject larva, but faster larva spawns.

Husky has been casting master+ HotS games since the beta landed, and it's been really interesting to watch that. It was kind of mixed. Zerg using swarm hosts were made or broken by creep spread, but after they buffed mutalisks, some zerg stopped focusing on creep spread in favor of air units. Haven't seen any games since launch, but I'm guessing that trend will continue for awhile.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:03 pm

danny e. wrote:

Normal or hard? And did you get all the level achievements?
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
danny e. wrote:

Normal or hard? And did you get all the level achievements?

I played through on normal but Hard wouldn't change the time that much maybe add 10-15 minutes to a level at most since many are somewhat time based trigger maps.
I did the same thing with Wings of Liberty and then played through on Hard a second time. The very last level with Kerrigan attacking I never completed at Hard. Kept failing.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 pm

The very last level with Kerrigan attacking I never completed at Hard. Kept failing.

Kill Zerg-Air defense.

Just build a few siege tanks and keep baiting her to use her special attacks on a pack of easily replaceable suicide marines.

Personally I loved HotS storyline. A bit too much talk about power, but It's interesting to see the origin of the Zerg.
Just wish I had gotten a few achievements, but alas.. Battle.net was down for maintenance... heh as if the swarm would be stopped by a puny thing like server maintenance. :<
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:08 am

In HoTS (Hogwarts of The Swarm)...Snape kills Dumbledore

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:04 am

danny e. wrote:

It took me around 12-14 hours to get through on Hard, had to replay a couple missions a few times to actually get through them. The penultimate mission where the pods are landing and you have to protect the launchers took some effort, but fortunately the Swarm Host evolution where you can teleport on creep gave me the mobility I was lacking. Mutas and Hyrdas took care of the Vikings for me. The problem was I over-produced units too early and then I didn't have the economy to deal with it later in the mission.

Then again, I'm a big turtle player, even in multi. If I can avoid huge confrontations before I hit max and have larva hanging around to re-max quickly, I'll take it.

The multiplayer is where the value is. Always been the case with Starcraft, IMO, and I love the additions. Skytoss is a real possibility now (Void Rays were always good, but an equal amount of supply of Void Rays vs. Marines with stim/combat shield or Hydras, and the Marines/Hydras win). I used to go big gateway/colossus balls with some HT thrown in for storms. Now I can get an observer and a Tempest and cause problems. When I play Terran I love that tanks come with Siege Mode right off the bat and I love that I can spend less to upgrade mech/air thanks to the shared armor upgrades. It's fun to upgrade hellions to be able to transform and then run into someone's 3rd or 4th, transform into hellbats, and eat all their SCVs, then transform and run away again. I have not experimented much with Vipers, but Swarm Hosts are a must for protecting distant expansions. The changes were big buffs for all 3 races and it still feels balanced.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:21 am

Ifalna wrote:
The very last level with Kerrigan attacking I never completed at Hard. Kept failing.

Kill Zerg-Air defense.

Just build a few siege tanks and keep baiting her to use her special attacks on a pack of easily replaceable suicide marines.

Personally I loved HotS storyline. A bit too much talk about power, but It's interesting to see the origin of the Zerg.
Just wish I had gotten a few achievements, but alas.. Battle.net was down for maintenance... heh as if the swarm would be stopped by a puny thing like server maintenance. :<

I did this by killing the Nydus network and then paying for all the Viking and Siege Tank upgrades. About 30 Vikings was enough to handle all the air stuff, and the tanks with extra primary target damage and reduced friendly fire helped keep my bunkers alive. SCVs patrolling both entrances set to auto-repair were really important, too.

It seemed to me that a lot of the research upgrades were important to get enough defenses up quickly enough - SCV reactor (rather than automated refinery), orbital supply depot drops, and tech reactors were the 3 biggies. And buying the tank/viking mercenaries also helped. Get that economy really cranked up (they give you around 20 SCVs, but you really need to double that in order to have enough to repair) and keep stuff repaired. With about 50 seconds to go, I had used the artifact once and I wanted that achievement for not using it twice, so I just let them tear down the door and retreated to the platform where it sits. Fortunately they didn't get it taken down and I got it. I'm up close to 90% achievements for Wings of LIberty now, and my first run-through got me about 45% of the ones in HOTS. Lots to re-do because I'm a completionist.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:34 am

I play on Hard and don't finish a level till I get all the bonus objectives as well. Some of the missions (build base, attack) are easy enough, but any of those timed ones are usually always a good challenge. It's easy enough to beat those misssions just accomplishing the primary objective, little tougher getting the bonus objectives. In WoL, I went back and re-played 5 missions on Brutal (to get the accomplishment) and wow, it's brutal. Danny e, I'd suggest playing a few missions on Brutal, you'll be changing your "6-8 hours of gameplay" statement.

I've been enjoying the story (I just rescued Jim Raynor) but I find all this talk about "power" to be getting annoying. I understand how it all intertwines, but sometimes I wish they'd focus more on Kerrigan and her "I'm still kinda human, in that I willingly became the Queen of Blades this time". Although I do miss the video's of her in human form :D

I think someone in the art department screwed up General Stuckov. That ball of fire in his cheek looks deep enough that it should go right through his head and out the other side. Not really sure where that fits in either, as no other zerg (infested or pure) has a glowing part of their body. A whole like that would probably affect his ability to talk as well. Oh well, a very nitpick and one that doesn't take away from the game at all.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm

You got to see that she's still partly human. She's been far more merciful this time than she was in SC1 and Brood War. Think back to how she treated Raszagal and Zeratul, and all the other senseless killing, and compare that to someone who...well, the intro to the final mission shows it again, too. I didn't want to spoil it for you. The ending will get you...right here /me points at the left side of the chest, feigns sniffle

Stukov does look a little out of place. Who knows what was actually done to him to revive pre-infestation, though?

Also I'm too impatient to replay a level over and over until I get all the achievements and bonuses. I'll re-play them now that I've seen the story instead.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
You got to see that she's still partly human. She's been far more merciful this time than she was in SC1 and Brood War. Think back to how she treated Raszagal and Zeratul, and all the other senseless killing, and compare that to someone who...well, the intro to the final mission shows it again, too. I didn't want to spoil it for you. The ending will get you...right here /me points at the left side of the chest, feigns sniffle

Stukov does look a little out of place. Who knows what was actually done to him to revive pre-infestation, though?

Also I'm too impatient to replay a level over and over until I get all the achievements and bonuses. I'll re-play them now that I've seen the story instead.

It's ok, I already know the ending (yes, I'm one of THOSE people that goes to Wikipedia and reads the plot lines. Don't judge). I liked the part where General Warfield pleaded with her to let the evac ships escape. That showed her humanity. As Kerrigan said at the start, she had no memory of her previous "Queen of Blades", suggesting her humanity was pretty much gone. And also the fact that she initially offered Warfield a chance to leave (not that any self-respecting military general would). That's something the first Kerrigan would never have done.

Yep, I'm the same way. Beat the story on hard (getting the bonus objectives to further increase rank), then go back and replay the levels on normal to get the extra achievements.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 pm

I thought it was kind of crap that she let him die before she called the swarm off the ships. Let the man see it.

And I have a real issue with the way she pronounces the word "comprehension". And she says it like 80 times.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I thought it was kind of crap that she let him die before she called the swarm off the ships. Let the man see it.
Agreed. Although at the time he was charging up his gun to shoot her...

What I really thought was great was when she was fighting Dr. Nanun and he shape shifts into her pre-infested state. I didn't see that coming and thought that was excellent.
I wonder if Blizzard ever thought of making a full length CGI movie...

A few other "musings" I've had...

- When she busts Jim out of the prison, where'd he get the pistol? She certainly doesn't carry one and I doubt a prisoner would be allowed to have one on their person, since you know, they're a prisoner!

- With this whole apolcyptic scenario they have playing out (I imagine it concludes with the ending of the Protoss campaign...last mission you fight Amon?), I wonder if they're leaving any story for a SC3?

- I wonder if (when Amon is defeated) Kerrigan could ever go back to Human form? She did it once, what's to stop her doing it a second time?

superjawes

Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:35 pm

SC3 now! We aren't even done with 2! :lol:

But I am sure there are plenty of stories that can come about now. WoL added hybrids; HotS added primal zerg. While these might not make great races to play, they can certainly add conflict scenarios, and that's before even diving into what can be varied for protoss or infested humans (like Stukov). Not to mention that if Kerrigan dies or quits being the Queen of Blades after Legacy, what happens to all those zerg?

We also haven't considered the possibility of other Xel'naga entering the picture. Sure, Amon may have created the hive-minded zerg, but who's to say he was alone, or that someone else isn't experimenting with humans, or that killing Amon wouldn't stir up other angry Xel'naga?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Oh that's easy. If Kerrigan dies or returns to her human form, she's already groomed a successor. Now that successor, how she deals with the Terrans and Protoss is another deal entirely...