Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Why having a car DVR/camera is a good idea

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Even if you live in USA - you can still be "road raged" by another people... Only difference is, in countries like Russia - it's the other drivers that will do that to you, whereas in USA - it's the cops:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ROigWi-CcU :wink:

For a more practical advise - if you're really willing to put something like this in your car and don't know anything about them, there are few sites with info about all of the major models, for example this one:
http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-comparison/
You can find most of the popular models on eBay (no need to overpay at some online/offline store) from different resellers.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Why having a car DVR/camera is a good idea

Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:58 pm

Hey, I'm all for the dash vids of the incoming Sweet Meteor of Doom that has the decency to bolide far enough up in the atmosphere that windows (and some faces) were the only things broken.

That said, the need for the ubiquitous dash cams in Russia is sure to become R&P tout suite.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BluePanda
Gerbil

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:12 pm

That was pretty awesome. I like the videos from Russia better though -- like the one of the bus driver who routinely hits drivers.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 pm

I recognize that section of road (from Charleston). I have a **** car - if they'd done that to me I would have just "accidentally" hit them especially with the video evidence.

EDIT: Not to say the guy driving the truck wasn't a jackass...but jackassery doesn't mean you should get brake checked at 65 MPH by a cop.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Yea... Last time we were driving from Florida (was a couple of years ago) to NY - we were going slightly too fast :wink: but not too fast to endanger anyone (the road was fairly empty and completely dry). I believe we were also in NC when we almost caught up with local Sheriff's car which was also driving on same highway, at above the speed limit speeds (he was going about 80 mph). When he saw us approaching him from behind, he just turned on his flashing lights and sounded his siren a couple of times - we "got the point", slowed down, he turned off his lights and proceeded driving forward :wink: Some cops are really "cool" about speed limits, and some really aren't (to the point of being a total jackass)...

BluePanda wrote:
I like the videos from Russia better though -- like the one of the bus driver who routinely hits drivers.

You mean all the ones that are posted at this blog:
http://ru-chp.livejournal.com/ ? :wink:
Last edited by JohnC on Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:53 pm

It seems to really depend- some cops are 'farming' speed tickets, while others are just trying to preserve safety.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:15 am

the guy was tailgating.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:04 am

Airmantharp wrote:
It seems to really depend- some cops are 'farming' speed tickets, while others are just trying to preserve safety.

And in the video in the OP, the cop was clearly creating a safety hazard.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:31 am

Airmantharp wrote:

Agreed, in India, this is seriously a major issue. 10 - 15 cops gather on one street crossroad and stop each and every vehicle passing by, plus this guys are pretty smart and will charge you for silly things.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am

Idiots in both vehicles. No point having a dashcam if it's just going to prove you were half of the problem.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:25 pm

Actually, the cop in the video was forced to resign after the video went public so there's a very good "point" in having teh camera.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:54 pm

The camera might not a good idea if they pull you over in Chicago and go Rodney King on you for breaking the law by taping them while they are in public. :o

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:11 pm

I believe videotaping is legal in every state... Unless you also do sound recording of other people, which is not legal in some states.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:26 am

IIRC, MD and IL had laws on the books making it illegal, but I want to say that courts have struck those down.

In any case, might be a good idea to stream the video to a server. Now you're looking at a car PC with a video capture card and an unlimited 3G plan. (Or, have it save video, and have a hidden button to trigger upload, and a UPS with the car PC, to keep it running and uploading after the car is impounded, even if the battery is disconnected.)

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:23 am

bhtooefr wrote:
IIRC, MD and IL had laws on the books making it illegal, but I want to say that courts have struck those down.
The courts repeatedly have maintained that you can record public servants in public performing official actions. Not every jurisdiction has gotten it through their heads, but you will win in court.

Eventually.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:30 am

Even if you're in a state like IL or MD, I don't think that they would pursue charges on a dash cam or even be able to pursue charges because it is always-on. It would be like trying to charge a store owner/manager/clerk for having the security cameras on...
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:55 am

superjawes wrote:
Even if you're in a state like IL or MD, I don't think that they would pursue charges on a dash cam or even be able to pursue charges because it is always-on. It would be like trying to charge a store owner/manager/clerk for having the security cameras on...
You'd be surprised. Luckily, there was just such a case in Maryland in 2010. A motorcyclist with a helmet cam was doing stupid things on his motorcycle and passed an off-duty cop at some triple-digit rate of speed. Cop chases the motorcyclist, cuts him off at the next exit, gets out of the car with his gun drawn and without identifying himself (initially) and tells the nitwit to get off the bike. All recorded on the helmet cam.

The motorcyclist was charged with all sorts of traffic violations and recording the cop via the helmet cam under Maryland's wiretapping laws (up to 16 years in prison). My understanding is that the prosecutor and/or the judge let the charge proceed precisely because they thought the law prohibiting such was a unconstitutional. It was struck down along with three other laws. Maryland vs. Graber, if you're interested.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

superjawes

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:07 am

Darkmage wrote:
superjawes wrote:
You'd be surprised. Luckily, there was just such a case in Maryland in 2010. A motorcyclist with a helmet cam was doing stupid things on his motorcycle and passed an off-duty cop at some triple-digit rate of speed. Cop chases the motorcyclist, cuts him off at the next exit, gets out of the car with his gun drawn and without identifying himself (initially) and tells the nitwit to get off the bike. All recorded on the helmet cam.

The motorcyclist was charged with all sorts of traffic violations and recording the cop via the helmet cam under Maryland's wiretapping laws (up to 16 years in prison). My understanding is that the prosecutor and/or the judge let the charge proceed precisely because they thought the law prohibiting such was a unconstitutional. It was struck down along with three other laws. Maryland vs. Graber, if you're interested.

Fairly certain I've seen that video (can't watch while at work).

That is interesting that they would even try, though.
"You videotaped me without permission!"
"Because you walked into the shot..."
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 pm

Could have used one today.

Got rear-ended by a big F-150 in my little Corolla and the jerk drove off. He pulled over until I put my car in park then whipped around me and drove off. :evil: Luckily he was only doing like 10-15mph when he hit me, but it still shook me up and my back is still tight. Fortunately there's no damage to my car, but that means it's almost impossible for there to be anything wrong with his big steel bumper.

There was about 5 seconds where I could have gotten a cellphone pic, but I just couldn't believe he was going to drive off. This was during the morning rush so maybe someone else wrote it down...The cop said he'd watch cars there Monday morning, but I'm not holding my breath.

clone
Gerbil Elite

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:14 am

Last edited by clone on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
neg

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:15 am

In the time since I last visited this thread, I picked up a couple of DVR-027 dash cameras. So far, they've been awesome. Visual quality is good, the devices are light and I've managed to get some pretty interesting video of deer attempting to commit suicide on my hood. The only complaint I've had is that the included suction cup mount is too large for my car's specific dimensions. I bought a cheap windshield mount from Amazon for like $4 and it now nicely tucks up behind my rear view mirror.

Kougar

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:27 am

I've honestly wanted a cam in my car just for that reason, road rage is a big issue in this city and I've had too many drivers break the road rules and nearly cause a wreck. But I'd have been found at fault because I would've run into them from behind... the peace of mind alone would be worth it.

JohnC wrote:
Actually, the cop in the video was forced to resign after the video went public so there's a very good "point" in having teh camera.

Yeah, I was glad to hear that after I saw the video. That cop cut into the guys lane at the absolute last second, he was two seconds away from creating a high-speed 3 car wreck as he was about to ram into the truck in the slower lane as he cut over.

I like how the cop said he felt antagonized and "just wanted him to go away", but he sped up to him and cut him off afterwards before brake checking him.