Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Probably the stupidist idea I have ever seen...

Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:05 pm

This popped up in my inbox the other day.

Though I am not a huge fan of paperless billing because of the problems it causes when you need a copy of the bill for legal reasons, I understand the reasoning behind it and can certainly back the reduction of paper. Why the F* would you want your bill as a video? What genius thought that up and how much money did they spend?

To be fair , I haven't gone and watched it so I have no idea what it is actually like. I just can't bring myself to.

--SS

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Probably the stupidist idea I have ever seen...

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Ugh. I hate this trend toward moving things to multimedia that don't need to be. Video news, video reviews, and "vlogs" all need to go away. щ(ºДºщ)

In fact videos in general, honestly, could go away; there is no reason for you to waste my time making me watch a video than letting me read something. I can read pages and pages of text in seconds; I don't gain anything with a video -- I just lose a bunch of time. TV is boring and movies are a huge waste of time. I wish all video media would just go away. s(・`ヘ´・;)

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:25 pm

auxy wrote:
TV is boring and movies are a huge waste of time...I wish all video media would just go away

If you're talking pop culture (like reality shows, then yes I agree), but there is a lot of good tv out there that is worth watching and so I'm going to have to disagree completely 100% with you. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no body else does. Maybe I find reading people's blogs boring and just wish the Internet would go away. Yeah, that's it.

However, back on topic, yeah, that does seem a little odd. I wonder if it's simply a generic video explaining a generic bill, or if it's actually personalized?
Last edited by Sargent Duck on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
If you're talking pop culture (like reality shows, then yes I agree), but there is a lot of good tv out there that is worth watching and so I'm going to have to disagree completely 100% with you. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean no body else does. Maybe I find reading people's blogs boring and just wish the Internet would go away. Yeah, that's it.
Opinions are like opinions! ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌ Isn't it weird how everyone's is different?

If you're so offended by me expressing my opinion that all TV and movies are garbage, then perhaps you should examine the reasons you like the things you do. (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Ignoreing the more high-strung individuals...

I did go watch it and you can too. It is semi personalized in that it uses my first name an was generated with items from my bill. So, yes, if you watch the video you can find out my first name (which is not the name I go by) and how much I paid on my last wireless bill.

From what I can tell, it's supposed to be somewhat explanatory and such, but I still think it's weird, useless, and a waste of money.

--SS

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:42 am

Link doesn't work for me.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

SecretSquirrel
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:05 am

just brew it! wrote:
Link doesn't work for me.

Interesting. I wonder if there is some sort of IP verification or cookie. The original link in the email has a bunch of tracking info, including my AT&T login id. That link is a direct copy out of the browser when the video is playing and works fine for me if I click on it.

--SS

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:27 am

It works for me. And I'm in Canada...

I stopped watching after 1 minute. 2.5 minutes to explain a bill seems a bit long.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:19 am

Works now. Wasn't working earlier.

Wow, that's a waste. The upbeat background music is bad enough, do we also need the sound effects?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

wintermane666
Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:49 am

Its not a bad idea really. I suspect they focus tested and found a large enough segment of the pop would actualy like this and so just offered it as an option for those people.

Always remember there always exists a group of people.. rather large in number who think completely differently from you.

AMM
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:27 pm

The really shocking thing is how much you USAians pay for mobile phones.
To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:04 pm

The video bill idea should indicate to AT&T how bonker-town crazy their billing structure is. But instead of fix that, they'll just invest in some sort of tech that builds semi-customized videos that explain it.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

RhysAndrews
Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:12 pm

If you go back to paper billing, they'll also send you a DVD to explain your bill.