Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

lazy_boy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fan Controller for GPU

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi

Recently I bought a fan controller for my system, i connected everything fine however my GPU (GTX 680) wasn't comptiable with my fan controller (Deepcool - Rockmaster).

I tried to look online to find a converter that's comptiable with my fan controller and my GPU. If you know of anything can you please advise? Thanks

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Re: Fan Controller for GPU

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:03 pm

If you're not apposed to running a program, you could leave the fan plugged in to the gpu and use MSI Afterburner. It allows you to set a graph of fan speed to temperature that works really well for me. It can also be used for overclocking if you're into that sort of thing.

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:23 pm

Ari Atari wrote:
MSI Afterburner

and evga precision x, basically the same programs... they both alter video card in more than just clock rates.
msi afterburner has been my program for altering the fan curve, pretty sure even speedfan should be able to do that, i've got that program controlling my cpu fan's
probably drinking some tea.

hakron
Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:44 am

I use Nvidia Inspector to control manually the fan speed on my GTX 560.
Probably works with your GTX 680, but you have to set up the speed by hand...

lazy_boy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks all, however i'm interested in finding a converter since I already bought the fan controller.

Is there such a thing that can convert 4pin GPU (not molex) into 3pin? Thanks

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:23 am

Just an additional note on those software solutions: they're sub-par. EVGA Precision-X won't let me set the fan speed below 25%. The problem there is that 25% is still frigging loud.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 am

I also use afterburner for my evga SC 560ti SLI setup....30% is as low as they will go but they use a single 92mm fan that are pretty dang quiet and seem well designed.... Until I game. I have a over aggressive Fan Profile and wear usb G930 headphones when gaming. Putting them on alone drowns 30db of noise up :) I sometimes put them on just to drown out the TV noise when i am trying to get to sleep with the wife watching TV. They are very comfortable. I see so many people saying USB sound is a horrible experience. I have nothing but praise for these headphones, they sound fantastic, simulate surround very well for Movies and Games. Bass could be a bit better at high volumes...too loud and they will distort, they only have 40mm drivers...I wish they used 50mm!! Battery life is a good 10Hrs. Range is pretty dang good as they work throughout my whole house, even with the receiver in my upstairs bedroom they work in the basement of my 2 story single home. Plus it real easy to plug them into any of my PCs and use them quickly. Just wish they would work with my stand alone bluray player.

I also use Speedfan on all of my PC's to monitor temps and control my 2 HTPC chassis and cpu fans. My gaming rig i use a 5 channel fan controller.

My I3 2120 with a hd7750 setup has been in the closet up on a ledge with a small hole penetrating the wall to run all 7 of my cables to the computer and the TV box, Bluray player and TV power cable. My 55" tv is on a wall mount that sits flush to wall or will pull off wall 30" and adjusts in every imaginable way.
30" closer is awesome for movie night ..especially for 3D movies since it reaches my toes when we lay in bed. Very Immersive :)
Last edited by vargis14 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Ari Atari
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 am

Lazy_boy each pin on the fan connector does something: one is for power, one is for ground, one is for recording the fan's speed, and one is for something else, probably something to do with controlling the fan's speed. To go from the 4 to 3 pin, you will lose the functionality of that fourth pin, which might matter. If it doesn't, I think you can just use a regular 3pin extender cable and just ignore the fourth pin. Just make sure that you choose the right 3 pins and that they go where they're supposed to go.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:31 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Just an additional note on those software solutions: they're sub-par. EVGA Precision-X won't let me set the fan speed below 25%. The problem there is that 25% is still frigging loud.

It isn't the software that is subpar if your fan is still loud at 25%, it's your HSF.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:40 pm

Deanjo wrote:
It isn't the software that is subpar if your fan is still loud at 25%, it's your HSF.

QFT
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Deanjo wrote:

Chrispy_ wrote:

QFT

ATTT.........QFE
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Deanjo wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

I don't really care which it is. It's EVGA's heatsink and EVGA's software. Meanwhile, the heatsink itself seems to be doing the job just fine. The temps are plenty low. The problem isn't temperatures, but the fact that the fan either cannot be spun slower or will not be allowed to.

If, on the other hand, you're talking about the /fan/ and not the whole heatsink, then maybe so, but any fan can be quiet if spun slowly enough.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:02 pm

I would hesitate to run your GPU fan from a fan controller for a variety of reasons...but first and foremost I have a question: how do you plan on keeping temperatures in check given you can't monitor the GPU core temp with your fan controller? Manual control is a recipe for disaster.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Deanjo wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

I don't really care which it is. It's EVGA's heatsink and EVGA's software. Meanwhile, the heatsink itself seems to be doing the job just fine. The temps are plenty low. The problem isn't temperatures, but the fact that the fan either cannot be spun slower or will not be allowed to.

If, on the other hand, you're talking about the /fan/ and not the whole heatsink, then maybe so, but any fan can be quiet if spun slowly enough.

No I do mean the whole HSF since heatsinks are designed with a particular characteristics of a fan in mind. Keep in mind that many fans will simply refuse to spin at slower rates.

mdk77777
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 pm

Don't forget, the GPU is not the only part of the card that needs cooling.

Many people only look at the GPU temp. and adjust down the fan profile.

However, the engineering of the entire card takes into consideration temperature saturation of components like the VRM.

While these will not fail instantly...running at higher temps and saturation levels will exponentially reduce the life of the entire card.

Sure, caps and VRM get better every day...but heat is still the enemy of long life. :wink:

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:16 pm

Deanjo wrote:
No I do mean the whole HSF since heatsinks are designed with a particular characteristics of a fan in mind. Keep in mind that many fans will simply refuse to spin at slower rates.

Which would, again, have everything to do with the fan and nothing to do with the chunk of aluminum it's attached to. But, whatev, if you want to pick imaginary nits, have at it 8)

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm

flip-mode wrote:
Deanjo wrote:

Which would, again, have everything to do with the fan and nothing to do with the chunk of aluminum it's attached to. But, whatev, if you want to pick imaginary nits, have at it 8)

Unless said design requires a minimum amount of flow over the VRMs, etc, to stay stable.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Waco wrote:
flip-mode wrote:
Deanjo wrote:

Unless said design requires a minimum amount of flow over the VRMs, etc, to stay stable.

It's a very true and valid point, but a different conversation. You're talking about the effects of slowing a fan down. I'm talking about the ability of software solutions or of the fan design itself to do so. I imagine for a card like a GTX 680 your cautionary reminder is very applicable.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 am

flip-mode wrote:
It's a very true and valid point, but a different conversation. You're talking about the effects of slowing a fan down. I'm talking about the ability of software solutions or of the fan design itself to do so. I imagine for a card like a GTX 680 your cautionary reminder is very applicable.

Well yes.

I was more trying to point out that slowing a fan below the minimum set by software (or firmware) may be okay in terms of GPU temps but the rest of the card may overheat. The minimum may be more of a design...ahem..."feature" than an inability of the fan itself to spin slower.

I would be very surprised if the blower-style fans seen on many GPUs could run at very slow rates without issue. The card, however, may not be so happy. :P

I know the last thing I would have wanted to do on my old 4870X2 or 5970 would be to slow down the fans. Sure, both were noisy (till I watercooled them), but the prospect of blowing up a card that already was on the edge in terms of VRM cooling wasn't very appealing. New cards are much better in that department (VRM cooling) but I still would be wary of trying to run a card below the minimum allowed fan speed without some kind of temperature monitoring for the GPUs and VRMs.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:55 am

flip-mode wrote:

That strikes me as being more of a hardware issue - the fan is just plain loud.

I use MSI Afterburner to manage my OC/fan presets. I stick with the Auto setting when I'm not gaming (fans idle at 44% I think) and the my dual GPUs are nice and quiet.