Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Re: Wrong topic for wrong site

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Meadows wrote:
JohnC wrote:
Ok, forget it. Female bodies are clearly offensive here...

Why did you edit out your OP and the thread title?

Because I wanted to. Is it against the rules? And because it was clearly offensive to many people and that was not my original intention.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: Emma Watson's recent photoshoot (possibly NWS)

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:09 pm

auxy wrote:
cynan wrote:
Emma Watson will be like 14 years old in the eyes of many people for the foreseeable future because of her role in HP... Her generally youthful appearance for her age and not un-waif-like stature doesn't help on this front.
She was like ten when she started starring in the movies. She's over 20 now.... She's like my age, 22 or 23...
FWIW, Ms. Watson will be 23 next month.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0914612/?ref_=sr_1

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:32 pm

And she pretty much did away with the longish hair a few years ago to have a change. Guess she wanted to grow it longer again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XK6FYKDzXc
Interview after last HP movie...

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:37 pm

Meadows wrote:
I'm not making implications. I elaborated on a point cynan made, because auxy is right about as thick as two short planks.

You don't need racy photos, it's putting other people in their place that gets you off.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:46 pm

Meadows wrote:
JohnC wrote:

No joke! I was enjoying the discussion on the thread. I don't think any actual moderators had a problem with it either. :(

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:05 pm

auxy wrote:
Meadows wrote:
JohnC wrote:

No joke! I was enjoying the discussion on the thread. I don't think any actual moderators had a problem with it either. :(

Moderators didn't. Other people clearly did. I don't want to "offend" anyone in any way and I don't want to play "try to guess if this reply was a "joke" or "serious"" type of games. End of discussion.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:04 am

flip-mode wrote:
Meadows wrote:
I'm not making implications. I elaborated on a point cynan made, because auxy is right about as thick as two short planks.

You don't need racy photos, it's putting other people in their place that gets you off.

Well sure. That's always fun. :)

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:07 am

Vrock wrote:
flip-mode wrote:

Ah, a kindred spirit.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:34 am

just brew it! wrote:

Meadows wrote:
Simple. If you have a car forum and you start discussing which brand of moisturiser you use on your buttocks, then the forum is no longer only about cars.

There's probably a thread about moisturizer in here somewhere. :wink:[quote]

I seem to recall a few years back Geoff got his fiancé to model some tech parts (aka, she was holding a video card) and the camera caught a picture of her hand. I'm pretty sure moisturizer appeared in the discussion.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

cegras
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 am

Funny enough, Daniel is doing nudes and whatnot and no one seems to find it 'jarring'. I think everyone is tip toeing around the issue when it shouldn't be one.

That is, I liked her in the first two movies; in the later movies, when they completely discarded the character of Hermione for a generic teen Hollywood girl, and rewrote her part in every book thereafter, I really began to dislike her (the character, I mean.) ┐(‘~`;)┌ I'm sure those changes weren't really her fault, so it's difficult to fault Emma herself, but with that said, however, she went on various talk shows and the internet complaining about Hermione, as a character -- how her hair was unstylish and difficult to upkeep, and how she felt like everyone hated Hermione, and that she wanted her to be more likeable -- so I have little doubt that the changes in the character were introduced at least in part due to her complaining, as well as to improve the girl's sex appeal and draw in ephebophiles. (●__●)

Err, that's how she evolved as a character anyways. She got girly and became more affable. That was pretty clear by the Goblet of Fire when JKR payed special attention to how she seemed to have turned into a teenager without Ron noticing.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:26 am

Vrock wrote:

I've never seen you as one who is trying to establish your intrinsic superiority. You're just angry that people think differently than you do. So, sorry, Vrock, you're not so much the prick you think you are. 8)

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:31 am

flip-mode wrote:
You're just angry that people think differently than you do.

:lol: I think you've hit the nail on the head there.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:44 am

just brew it! wrote:
:lol: I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

If Vrock starts stalking Krogoth to correct his grammar and to put his errors in his signature let me know and I'll amend that. :o 8)

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 am

JohnC wrote:
Because I wanted to. Is it against the rules? And because it was clearly offensive to many people and that was not my original intention.

I didn't think anyone found it offensive. I just didn't think it was worth a thread to be honest. Like everyone has stated, the pictures weren't awesome in any way (imo). We'll all probably keep living our lives now. Shall we move on?

(JohnC - This is probably a good thing to post in dymt. I just didn't think it was worth a thread.)
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:11 am

JohnC wrote:
Moderators didn't. Other people clearly did. I don't want to "offend" anyone in any way and I don't want to play "try to guess if this reply was a "joke" or "serious"" type of games. End of discussion.

So you'd rather make yourself look silly by starting a thread then deleting the original post?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 am

Why are all those words in quotes?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

001-deactivated
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:01 pm

I reported it for moderation, not that the moderators seem to care. Being offensive doesn't really come into the discussion - it's just distasteful to see on the front page of a my favorite tech site. If [NSFW] posts weren't advertised on the front page and you had navigate to the back porch first, there'd be no problem.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Dashak wrote:
I reported it for moderation, not that the moderators seem to care. Being offensive doesn't really come into the discussion - it's just distasteful to see on the front page of a my favorite tech site. If [NSFW] posts weren't advertised on the front page and you had navigate to the back porch first, there'd be no problem.

You're confused. Moderators on this site are MUCH better than most forums I have been on. There just wasn't any reason to delete the topic.

You're almost reaching a censorship point with your "no NSW posts on the front page" thing. No need for that. Just don't click on it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:09 pm

Dashak wrote:

A: It was not NSFW, at least here in the Western world, which is the world to which we moderate.

B: Distasteful or not IYO, it did not violate any forum rules, which is why it wasn't moderated.

C: The moderators actively discussed the original picture post and universally agreed that while it wasn't high Art, it also wasn't pr0n and it didn't violate the rules.

D: Y'all gotta stop thinking of Emma/Hermione as the bratty snotty kid with the tangled hair she was in the first movie.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:34 pm

JohnC wrote:

Instead of making a big deal of what is offensive or not, why not speak your mind and don't worry about what people think, for after all we all are enriched with the free exchange of ideas? Those that find those ideas offensive will find them offensive no matter what you try to do, don't waste your time on that, but on having a meaningful discussion and not on controversy.

Follow the forum rules, and speak your mind.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:44 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
A: It was not NSFW SFW, at least here in the Western world, which is the world to which we moderate.
NSFW means "Not Safe for Work." Sorry...I hate double negatives and the "not NSFW" convention I've been seeing is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

D: Y'all gotta stop thinking of Emma/Hermione as the bratty snotty kid with the tangled hair she was in the first movie.
Definitely note that that character Hermione changed since the first movie. That's the exact thing that happened in the books. Actually, the series as a whole grows and changes as the characters grow up. They're 11 in Sorcerer's(/Philosiphers) Stone and 17, almost legal by US real world laws, in Deathly Hallows.

Although, Emma seems to be the Han Solo/Harrison Ford of that trio. She's probably going to have the most lasting post-Potter career (on film) and will eventually shake the Hermione character off most people's minds in a few years.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:49 pm

superjawes wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
A: It was not NSFW SFW, at least here in the Western world, which is the world to which we moderate.
NSFW means "Not Safe for Work." Sorry...I hate double negatives and the "not NSFW" convention I've been seeing is like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Wow, dat pedantry. NSFW is a category or label. "Not NSFW" seems to work just fine afaik. The English language is so broken to begin with that "not NSFW" is much less problematic than many things that are "grammatically correct".

lilbuddhaman
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:07 pm

I was disappointed by the linked photos and next time you link something as "NSFW" please ensure that it is.
I am jaded. I am cynical.

superjawes

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:18 pm

flip-mode wrote:
superjawes wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Wow, dat pedantry. NSFW is a category or label. "Not NSFW" seems to work just fine afaik. The English language is so broken to begin with that "not NSFW" is much less problematic than many things that are "grammatically correct".

It still bugs me as much as terms like "ATM machine" and "PIN Number" (Automated Teller Machine Machine and Personal Identification Number Number respectively). Sure, the previous examples and "Not Not Safe For Work" don't really hurt anyone, but neither does any internet grammar, and your still going too point it out and make fun of it irregardless.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:23 pm

superjawes wrote:
It still bugs me as much as terms like "ATM machine" and "PIN Number" (Automated Teller Machine Machine and Personal Identification Number Number respectively). Sure, the previous examples and "Not Not Safe For Work" don't really hurt anyone, but neither does any internet grammar, and your still going too point it out and make fun of it irregardless.

Should I make fun of the multiple grammatical errors in this post?

superjawes

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:35 pm

DancinJack wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Should I make fun of the multiple grammatical errors in this post?

Should I tell you that several were intentional to prove a point? :wink:

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:38 pm

This thread is in dire need of a derailment; If we're going to talk about moisturising buttocks and Emma Watson in a tech forum, can we at least have some constructive posts with useful information in them?

I moisturise with this:
http://www.simpleskincare.my/oil-balancing_moisturiser.php
It's great.

/thread :D
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:49 pm

superjawes wrote:
It still bugs me as much as terms like "ATM machine" and "PIN Number" (Automated Teller Machine Machine and Personal Identification Number Number respectively).

Both phrases are part of the day job and if I took offense to same I'd have stroked out within 2 years of taking the job (16.5 years ago).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:15 pm

superjawes wrote:
Although, Emma seems to be the Han Solo/Harrison Ford of that trio. She's probably going to have the most lasting post-Potter career (on film) and will eventually shake the Hermione character off most people's minds in a few years.

Radcliffe did well enough in "The Woman In Black". A few more roles like that and I think he'll be OK as well.

credible
Gerbil XP

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:16 pm

Rather disturbing, for me anyways to see such a level of immaturity in this thread, there was nothing wrong with the original post, period, just like in life, a few ruin it for the rest, really really getting tired of that in life and its usually the same PC type of folks that cause it.

What was it, a damn link on the front, don't click on it for cripes sake, what a bunch of babies.