Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

A tale of two powershots

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Can anyone help me make a final choice between the G15 and the SX260

I'm spending next year living in Kenya and I can see wanting the 20x zoom. However, i'm a bit spoiled as my normal camera is a 5D and all L glass. Once apon a time I did have a Canon SD1000. I'm packing to fit in a hiking backpack so the big gear needs to stay behind. much to my horror.

I know the G15 is aimed at serious photographers, but I don't want to default to it. I'm strongly leaning towards it though, shooting in RAW, larger aperture and sensor are hard to ignore!

or maybe I should look at something else?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: A tale of two powershots

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:29 pm

The G15 has a higher-resolution display, a larger aperture and a larger sensor. The G15 is also 1.5 times as heavy.

wintermane666
Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:32 pm

Never ever go anywhere like that with just one camera so get the cheaper one it also happens to have the better zoom and that's very important as a lot of what you want to take pics of you DONT want to be close to;/

Then get a cheaper camera as a backup.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:27 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The G15 has a higher-resolution display, a larger aperture and a larger sensor. The G15 is also 1.5 times as heavy.

Do you want to be able to zoom or can you crop? I'd take a larger aperture and sensor any day of the week, especially given the better low-light performance.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:45 pm

I'd personally look at a RX-100. 20 MP, Zeiss lens, f1.8-4.9. 28-100mm. Built in image stabilization.

Here is a pretty good dpreview that compares it to the.. comps. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

Either that or I'd look at a mirrorless with a superzoom.

I think you will regret not taking your dslr with a bigger lens.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:23 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
I'd personally look at a RX-100. 20 MP, Zeiss lens, f1.8-4.9. 28-100mm. Built in image stabilization.

Here is a pretty good dpreview that compares it to the.. comps. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100

If you're going to look in the price range of the RX100, the Fujifilm x20 is worth a look. Sure, it doesn't have as large a sensor as the RX100, which is its standout feature, but has a great lens, Fujifilm's new x-trans CMOS sensor that some people just love the detail and colors of. Plus it has better ergonomics and manual controls than the RX100 without being significantly larger. It's also the only pocket sized cam that has an optical viewfinder with digital overlay of exposure information (which will come in useful when taking pics outside on bright sunny days - especially when shooting in manual). And I thinks its about 10% cheaper on average. For low light and video shooting, the RX100 has an edge (though the X20 can do 1080p at 60 FPS, it does not allow manual aperture control like the RX100). For everything else, the Fujifilm X20 is probably the winner. Because of the RX100s large sensor, you also don't get as wide an angle when zoomed out, which might get in the way of shooting those African landscapes...

I also agree that when getting into the $600 range, micro interchangeable lens systems begin to look appealing, if you think this might be something you'll be interested in spending more money in later.

TheEmrys

Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:34 pm

That Fujufilm is a pretty good option as well.

I've seen some amazing shots taken with the RX1 as well. Oh my is that a beautiful little camera. But being locked at 35mm..... scary and not for the OP's needs. But wow what a beauty.

rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:14 pm

TheEmrys wrote:

This is what i'm most afraid of! However I know that I need a discrete camera.

In the middle range, the camera that I am most interested in is the Olympus OM-D. The problem is it gets big, bulky and expensive fast. To get it and a good lens, I might as well take the 5D and spend the money on the 100-400mm.

All this is what I talked myself down from to get to the original question of what small camera should I take.

the RX100 is a good option, but at that price I could go with an epl5 and then consider getting a long lens to go with it.

there are just so many options!

TheEmrys

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:23 pm

Have you trolled Craigslist for Nex's? They are just everywhere at pretty decent prices.

Too bad you are on Nikon, or I'd tell you to find a Minolta AF500. 500mm lens for under $500. Fits in a big pocket, too. Wow. To me, the chance at wildlife photography would be just a killer. So jealous.

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:44 pm

Panasonic LX7. Only has a 1/1.7" sensor (like the G15), but has a super-sharp Leica lens, great handling, great build quality, fits in a loose pants pocket. Often available for around $300.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:01 pm

cynan wrote:
TheEmrys wrote:

If you're going to look in the price range of the RX100, the Fujifilm x20 is worth a look. Sure, it doesn't have as large a sensor as the RX100, which is its standout feature, but has a great lens, Fujifilm's new x-trans CMOS sensor that some people just love the detail and colors of. Plus it has better ergonomics and manual controls than the RX100 without being significantly larger. It's also the only pocket sized cam that has an optical viewfinder with digital overlay of exposure information (which will come in useful when taking pics outside on bright sunny days - especially when shooting in manual). And I thinks its about 10% cheaper on average. For low light and video shooting, the RX100 has an edge (though the X20 can do 1080p at 60 FPS, it does not allow manual aperture control like the RX100). For everything else, the Fujifilm X20 is probably the winner. Because of the RX100s large sensor, you also don't get as wide an angle when zoomed out, which might get in the way of shooting those African landscapes...

I also agree that when getting into the $600 range, micro interchangeable lens systems begin to look appealing, if you think this might be something you'll be interested in spending more money in later.

With the kind of "thickness" (using the X10 as comparison) I am not sure how "pocketable" it can be. Usually "ergonomic" means a larger footprint because the human hand is not boxy. But yes, the extra manual controls can be nice and cheaper is always good (the RX100 has remained at ~$650 here in US).
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:29 pm

If you can afford the RX100, there isn't a better pocket-able camera. That's the go-to 'I want an awesome pocket camera almost no budget' pick.

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:54 pm

rogthewookiee wrote:

I'm spending next year living in Kenya and I can see wanting the 20x zoom. However, i'm a bit spoiled as my normal camera is a 5D and all L glass. Once apon a time I did have a Canon SD1000. I'm packing to fit in a hiking backpack so the big gear needs to stay behind. much to my horror.

I know the G15 is aimed at serious photographers, but I don't want to default to it. I'm strongly leaning towards it though, shooting in RAW, larger aperture and sensor are hard to ignore!

What will you be doing in Kenya? Instead of very expensive, low-zoom cameras you might consider something cheaper (so it wouldn't be very "painful" if you'll lose it or break it or it will get stolen) and with high zoom (so you could take photos of something like local wildlife at a safe distance), something like Canon SX500IS or Sony HX200V. The have small sensors and no "raw" ability but they should be more useful than SX260.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
(using the X10 as comparison) I am not sure how "pocketable" it can be. Usually "ergonomic" means a larger footprint because the human hand is not boxy. But yes, the extra manual controls can be nice and cheaper is always good (the RX100 has remained at ~$650 here in US).

This is a good point. Though the body dimensions on the X10/20 and RX100 are similar, the lens on the Fujis do not retract all the way into the face, and sticks out by a good 2 cm. This might make a difference in pocketability (if referring to jean pockets, anyway). That said, I'd still consider the X10/x20 to be pocketable. But perhaps not as pocketable as the RX100 or other compact point and shoots.

rogthewookiee
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:37 pm

JohnC wrote:
What will you be doing in Kenya? Instead of very expensive, low-zoom cameras you might consider something cheaper

I will be teaching high school science classes in a semi rural area. During the school year, i'll be in that spot, but during the holidays i'll be traveling around. The area is much less dangerous than in the city, but still need to be aware of theft.

I know that people keep raving about the rx100, but it is still a though sell for me. It is ~$200 more than the g15 and square in u4/3 range. Sure the u4/3 are not as pocket friendly, but they are infinitely smaller to the gear I'm accustomed to hauling around!

If it comes down to it, i'm sure I can get a cheap replacement camera locally. I'd like to start out assuming i'll be safe and careful with my gear!

TheEmrys

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:20 pm

rogthewookiee wrote:
I know that people keep raving about the rx100, but it is still a though sell for me. It is ~$200 more than the g15 and square in u4/3 range. Sure the u4/3 are not as pocket friendly, but they are infinitely smaller to the gear I'm accustomed to hauling around!

Do you prefer u4/3? I don't have enough background with them to know.

for me though, the RX100 really hits the sweet spot for function and being tiny. DPReview is very high on them saying "The RX100 is probably the most capable compact camera on the market today, combining the image quality benefits of a mid-sized sensor with the proportions of a conventional compact. Extensive, though not flawless, manual controls make the RX100 a great second camera for DSLR shooters."

Actually, check out this round up of compact cameras they did. There may be something everyone here is missing. They compare 11 cameras. I think the Sony won 2 of the 3 categories they judge in, but that doesn't mean it'll suit your needs.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:47 pm

Out of the 2 you posted i would go with the cheaper PowerShot SX260 since it has 3x more zoom its more compact, cheaper by a lot.

Then i would use the money saved for a extra batteries and or Fat memory cards.

I am sure any problem photos you really like could be enhanced/fixed by photoshop or whatever you use to process your favorite pictures.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:35 pm

vargis14 wrote:
Out of the 2 you posted i would go with the cheaper PowerShot SX260 since it has 3x more zoom its more compact, cheaper by a lot.

Then i would use the money saved for a extra batteries and or Fat memory cards.

I am sure any problem photos you really like could be enhanced/fixed by photoshop or whatever you use to process your favorite pictures.

Massive zoom -> small sensor -> tiny aperture -> long exposure -> slow focus, blurred action, difficult to stabilize.

This is the same when comparing APS-C with FF cameras; it gets exponentially worse with the tiny point-and-shoot sensors. Long zooms on pocket cameras are usually most useful on static subjects in broad daylight; they become much harder to use in the evening and at night, and the lack of manual controls makes it difficult to work around for even easy shots.

Firestarter
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:41 pm

My girlfriend and I were in Kenya just last week, did a 3 day 'safari' (that is, guide drove the 6 of us around all day while we took pics of elephants, lions and the like). Anyhow, before we went, we bought a second-hand Canon EF 70-300 IS USM for her Rebel XTI. We used that lens and a Canon S90 for the whole trip and it worked splendidly! For everything < 70mm, the S90 works great, and for up to 300mm the IS USM lens did not disappoint. I do not think that a superzoom compact or SLR lens would be as effective. To get a 20x range, they have to compromise, and combined with a small sensor I don't think you'd be satisfied with the resulting quality if you normally shoot with a 5D.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:48 pm

rogthewookiee wrote:

A surprisingly large amount of people are dumping their heavy DSLR stuff for the Fuji X-Pro and X-E1. Now they are out of your price range but much lighter and as good as, or better than your 5D.

I am very pleased with my X-E1 and the 60mm lens i have for it.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:09 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
Too bad you are on Nikon, or I'd tell you to find a Minolta AF500. 500mm lens for under $500. Fits in a big pocket, too. Wow. To me, the chance at wildlife photography would be just a killer. So jealous.

The OP should be on the Canon system with the 5D?

Looks like this wildlife thing you may be in need of 200mm+, so I would say one of those smaller EVIL systems should suit your needs better. I like the premium ultra compact and EVIL+long zoom lens idea. You just need to find a body and use your existing lens in the ideal world. The problem is Canon is new to the field (compared to Panasonic, Olympus and Sony) which I am sure their platform has not matured, nor will there be a good enough used market yet. What you *might* be able to do is to get one of those mount adapters thingy to convert the Canon mount to the other guys' ones (I know some converters, but not sure about the Canon ones) so you can get one of their other brands' EVIL bodies? You will lose auto focus and aperture control), but when you are shooting from afar it's pretty much ∞, right? ;)

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:44 pm

I had to look up EVIL- Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens, better known as ILC's.

Sadly, Canon and Nikon do suck at this- even as Canon has put on-sensor phase AF in the T4i and EOS-M. Sony and Fuji (or Olympus?) seem to have gotten it down, though.

Of course the hard part with one of these when using an adapter is that the lens will still be huge- there's no hiding L glass.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Of course the hard part with one of these when using an adapter is that the lens will still be huge- there's no hiding L glass.

Africa seems like this once-in-a-lifetime thing. A compact superzoom or cropping is just going to be disappointing compromises, might as well stick with downloading National Geographic ones and look at those yourself. :o

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:40 pm

rogthewookiee wrote:
If it comes down to it, i'm sure I can get a cheap replacement camera locally. I'd like to start out assuming i'll be safe and careful with my gear!

Well... Whatever you decide - I would suggest getting a "backup" camera (in an addition to whatever main camera you'll select) while it's still easily available to you and you can still easily return it or replace it. The SX260 in your original post is a great choice for such purpose - it is "inexpensive" (for its group/class), it produces good quality photos according to many reviews, has large zoom (while remaining compact) and has GPS photo tagging capabilities (which may be useful when you're traveling around) and it may not be available for purchase whatever place you'll be traveling at...
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Dposcorp

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 pm

wintermane666 wrote:
Never ever go anywhere like that with just one camera so get the cheaper one it also happens to have the better zoom and that's very important as a lot of what you want to take pics of you DONT want to be close to;/

Then get a cheaper camera as a backup.

I second the two cheaper camera option.

I have never had a DSLR, but I always keep mutiple cameras at home for this reason.

I picked up a cheap used Sony DSC-HX9V for its 1080P@60FPS, Built-in GPS and Compass, to name a few features.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q311tra ... rouptest/8

I also picked up a Panasonic dmc-zs20, since along with the above, it added a touch screen and a slow-mo option for video.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panason ... z30-review

If you are concerned about the size of a DLSR, then pick up something like one of the ones above but newer, and a used mirrorless camera with a couple of lens.

Remember, things break and get stolen, so more gear that is a bit lower end then a DSLR kit sounds like a better choice.
You can always keep one in your pocket, and you cant say that about a DSLR. Heck, if you troll the forums, Craigslist Etc, maybe you can pick up a cheap DLSR package as well.

Cheap but very good is the key in my book, for where you are going and what you are doing. Hurts less if it disappears, and very good and great and pretty close.

LocalCitizen
Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm

You are going to Africa, you are going to need a large zoom. forget RX100 etc. 100mm at the telephoto end is just not going to cut it. 300mm should be your minimum. and the 500mm provide by sx260 is much better. it's going to be the difference between a very nice sharp dot or a lion that's soft around the edges. take your pick. besides, sx260 is pretty good for 10" prints.

given the size and weight constraints, i think you are best served with a compact camera. Even the tiny EVIL (sony NEX, etc) have large lenses that's bigger than SX260. oh, yes, theft is a problem.

i think you like Canon, but take a peek at Lumix DMC-ZS20, Fujifilm F900EXR, or Sony DSC-HX20V. all reach near 500mm, all are similarly sized. The F900EXR even comes with RAW mode.

get a quality monopod. it's lighter and more compact than a tripod. get spare batteries, and SD cards and batteries.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:56 pm

rogthewookiee wrote:

I bought my first point & shoot camera in almost 10 years.. the Nikon P510. Great little camera!
I recommend it.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:02 am

danny e. wrote:
rogthewookiee wrote:

I bought my first point & shoot camera in almost 10 years.. the Nikon P510. Great little camera!
I recommend it.

Never been (nor likely ever will) to Africa. When it comes to cameras, the pictures you can take with the camera at hand will be long-term memories. The pictures you couldn't take because you were futzing with the camera settings will never be seen. Take due notice and govern yourself accordingly.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

TheEmrys

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
When it comes to cameras, the pictures you can take with the camera at hand will be long-term memories. The pictures you couldn't take because you were futzing with the camera settings will never be seen. Take due notice and govern yourself accordingly.

While I agree with this in general application, I think for anyone with a dslr background, this won't be the hindrance it could be for the average user. For myself, I'd would soon risk the missed shot than the constant frustration of a lack of adjustments.

The more I think about it, the more I think the OP should bring their dslr with a good walkaround lens and something that reaches up to 300mm and call it good. Maybe a teleconverter, too.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:08 pm

TheEmrys wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
When it comes to cameras, the pictures you can take with the camera at hand will be long-term memories. The pictures you couldn't take because you were futzing with the camera settings will never be seen. Take due notice and govern yourself accordingly.

While I agree with this in general application, I think for anyone with a dslr background, this won't be the hindrance it could be for the average user. For myself, I'd would soon risk the missed shot than the constant frustration of a lack of adjustments.

The more I think about it, the more I think the OP should bring their dslr with a good walkaround lens and something that reaches up to 300mm and call it good. Maybe a teleconverter, too.

I have to agree- while the Pro and Prosumer DSLRs (7D+, D7x00+) may need more attention per shot, a Rebel, 60D (super-Rebel, love mine for the price), or sub-D7000 work great in decent light on Auto with a walk-around, a manual zoom is always faster, and they wake up instantly (by the time you've got your eye to the viewfinder).

A used T2i with a the kit packs (18-55mm, 55-250mm) and a nifty fifty will give you something light yet flexible. No 5D with L glass for sure, but it's a pretty balanced tradeoff, and can probably be had within the price range your first two choices represent.

You could also grab a cheap Elph-sized 500HS for ~$100 less than the SX260 (~$150), which has almost the same sensor and zoom as the SX260, but is much more pocketable/concealable. My SD1400 IS goes with me anywhere I don't want to lug the 60D and lenses, and does quite good for shareable shots in decent light.