Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Skyrim and Skyrim mods

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:53 am

I'm sure there is a forum topic around here for Skyrim but I figured I would start a new one for a fresh start. If you check out the gaming section at all here on the forums you know I been searching for a new challenge RPG wise. I found it with Skyrim. It brings back the feel and atmosphere of Morrowind that I felt was lacking in Oblivion. Like its predecessors there are literally hundreds of mods available for the game. I have found a few I like. Mostly body texture, armor and weapons mods. I have found a few home mods as well. Nothing really game changing when it comes to the quest story lines. I have only found one that causes issues in the game the unofficial Skyrim patch caused two problems for me so far. The first one I ran across caused issues with decorating a home. The second issue was the big one though. It caused the Main quest line to hang up ever time I killed a dragon. My character could not absorb the soul and the quest would hang at that moment. So that mod got shut off.

Now that I have a better understanding about the game I am ready to start testing out some new mods. So whats every ones MUST have mods for Skyrim? One I am really looking for is a map mod that shows all the roads and paths. Rather annoying to try and find a quest location and have to walk all the way around a mountain to find the way up to where you want to be.

DeadOfKnight
Gerbil Elite

Re: Skyrim and Skyrim mods

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:03 am

Intel Core i7-5775c, Asus Maximus VII Formula, Win 10 Pro
RTX 2080 Ti FE, Corsair 2x8GB DDR3-1866, Corsair AX860
Corsair H105, WD Red 4TB x2, Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Alienware AW3418DW, Corsair 450D

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 am

Now that looks nice. The graphics look a lot better, cleaner. Giving this one a look. Thanks for the link.

After looking it over I really like the improvements but this looks like more work than I want to do since it seems to require changing .ini files. I have gotten into big trouble in the past trying to change files around. I will keep an eye on this. Hopefully they will get things to the point you can just subscribe on steam and let the system do the install. I know that's the safe/lazy way of doing things.

Bashiba
Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:14 am

I just did a system rebuild and the first game I installed and tried to play was Skyrim. I realized in a couple minutes that I couldn't play it without this UI mod reinstalled.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/3863

I really like this map with Roads.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/4929

And this HD Texture Mod is nice as well.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/607

And I really like this one's craftable Swords.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/1002

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:00 pm

Khali wrote:
After looking it over I really like the improvements but this looks like more work than I want to do since it seems to require changing .ini files.
If you're not willing to change .ini files, I have bad news for you. DON'T BOTHER WITH TRYING TO MOD GAMES. Skyrim modding can require a whole lot more work than changing .ini files, what with managing load order, resolving record conflicts, merging leveled lists, and so much more. If something as simple as changing .ini files is too hard for you, then don't bother with mods. (・ェ´・)

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:24 pm

auxy wrote:
Khali wrote:
After looking it over I really like the improvements but this looks like more work than I want to do since it seems to require changing .ini files.
If you're not willing to change .ini files, I have bad news for you. DON'T BOTHER WITH TRYING TO MOD GAMES. Skyrim modding can require a whole lot more work than changing .ini files, what with managing load order, resolving record conflicts, merging leveled lists, and so much more. If something as simple as changing .ini files is too hard for you, then don't bother with mods. (・ェ´・)

Many Skyrim mods (such as the Unofficial Patches) are drop-in easy, but the more complicated ones will require some research.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:55 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Many Skyrim mods (such as the Unofficial Patches) are drop-in easy, but the more complicated ones will require some research.
Yeah, that's true, unless you want to add more mods that change NPCs, quests, cells, or item/spell records, in which case the unofficial patch is one of the WORST mods in terms of conflicts, since it touches everything. Not to mention that it probably hasn't been updated for 1.9 yet, so it'll cause a bunch of conflicts with the base game, too. (;¬_¬)

If I sound especially bitter, it's because I am; I've spent entire days modding Bethesda games, and while that's purely my choice and I do enjoy the results, I still resent the process. So much work to make everything play nice, but I've done it many times over! щ(ಥДಥщ) And now someone comes along and asks for an automated process that will never work as well as the manual process while admitting being too lazy to do it properly? Well of course I'm agitated! ヽ(≧Д≦)ノ

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:32 pm

I'm not trying to make mods. Just using ones that are simple to install. I can figure out how to get the harder ones to work but its not worth the effort for me. I want to PLAY the game not spend hours on end trying to get a mod to work. Did not say I can't change the ini files. Just that I would rather not because one mistake will mess a lot of things up and take days to find if you don't remember what you did and where. I just do not want the headache. I will leave that to those that like to do that kind of thing.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:38 pm

I dunno Steam workshop seems to work just fine. It's not Stalker so that's enough for me. I do find this "no blur" for userful for finishers:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=

I kinda collect Dragon kills:

Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."

greenmystik
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:15 pm

This site was helpful for me when I first starting looking for mods in Skyrim.

http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/124sg6/the_list_of_the_best_must_have_mods_for_skyrim/

It has lots of mods more from the user comments section as well. Definitely a go to for me when I was looking.

I feel you when it comes to .ini files. There's been too many time i've forgotten to back up a .ini file and had to start from scratch. Luckily most of the mods in the link above are drag and drop and your ready to go. The only one that takes some real effort is the Texture Pack Combiner. That requires a fair amount of work to gather up all the mods, but definitely worth it as the game looks rather stunning when viewing the finished product.
If practice makes perfect, but nobodies perfect, then why practice?

greenmystik
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:18 pm

PenGun wrote:

What mod are you running for that sword? I really like the hilt. And are you also running a mod for the armor?

Awesome kill pic btw.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Khali wrote:
I'm not trying to make mods. Just using ones that are simple to install.
Nobody said anything about MAKING mods. Way to miss the whole point of my post! (・`ェ´・)つ

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:31 pm

If you're not willing to change .ini files, I have bad news for you. DON'T BOTHER WITH TRYING TO MOD GAMES.

From this sentence I got the impression you thought I wanted to mod games. Hence my reply.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:39 pm

My god, all this makes me want to build a gaming PC..

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Khali wrote:
If you're not willing to change .ini files, I have bad news for you. DON'T BOTHER WITH TRYING TO MOD GAMES.

From this sentence I got the impression you thought I wanted to mod games. Hence my reply.
Adding mods is "modding games". Making mods would be "making mods". You're modifying the game when you add a mod(ification) to it. Thus, "modding".
NeelyCam wrote:
Did you see the pictures I posted in the Unigine Valley thread?Image

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 pm

Khali wrote:
I'm sure there is a forum topic around here for Skyrim but I figured I would start a new one for a fresh start. If you check out the gaming section at all here on the forums you know I been searching for a new challenge RPG wise. I found it with Skyrim. It brings back the feel and atmosphere of Morrowind that I felt was lacking in Oblivion. Like its predecessors there are literally hundreds of mods available for the game. I have found a few I like. Mostly body texture, armor and weapons mods. I have found a few home mods as well. Nothing really game changing when it comes to the quest story lines. I have only found one that causes issues in the game the unofficial Skyrim patch caused two problems for me so far. The first one I ran across caused issues with decorating a home. The second issue was the big one though. It caused the Main quest line to hang up ever time I killed a dragon. My character could not absorb the soul and the quest would hang at that moment. So that mod got shut off.

Now that I have a better understanding about the game I am ready to start testing out some new mods. So whats every ones MUST have mods for Skyrim? One I am really looking for is a map mod that shows all the roads and paths. Rather annoying to try and find a quest location and have to walk all the way around a mountain to find the way up to where you want to be.

Just go to this page:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/topalltime/?adult=2
And try them out. SkyUI is a "must", the rest are up to you. I like the "Quality World Map" one and "Skyrim Flora Overhaul" and also "Static Mesh Improvement Mod". I don't like custom "high-res textures" mods - they make textures "oversharpened" to the point of looking "unnatural"... Except perhaps the "W.A.T.E.R" mod, which mostly deals with improvement to water-related effects/textures and has a very "natural" results.
For better mod management - try to use Nexus Mod Manager program:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/modmanager
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:14 pm

greenmystik wrote:
PenGun wrote:

What mod are you running for that sword? I really like the hilt. And are you also running a mod for the armor?

Awesome kill pic btw.

Nothing I can see. That's Dragonbane and the nightingale armor is pretty well stock. Hi res pack is all.

greenmystik
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:14 am

PenGun wrote:
greenmystik wrote:
PenGun wrote:

Awesome kill pic btw.

Nothing I can see. That's Dragonbane and the nightingale armor is pretty well stock. Hi res pack is all.

Well I feel silly :oops: Guess I need to progress a little bit further in the game to grab those items.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:46 pm

NeelyCam wrote:

Come to the dark side, Neely...we have cookies.

...and better graphics.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Mightyflapjack
Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:51 am

My mods typically revolve around things that many other people would consider cheating (up to you to decide).

If you have STEAM you can go into the workshop and download these (I may have the names slightly wrong. I cannot check right now but a search should find it):

Light Weight Potions (Makes all potions weight 0.1) <I consider a potion a VIAL not a JUG>
Kagrenak's Instant Fortress (A summonable fortress that has all crafting stations and a lot of storage. Best part, you get a ring you can use to teleport between it and your current location so drop stuff off and back to the action - FAVORITE MOD).
Instant Merchant (A ring that summons a vendor that has useful items for sale and a lot of gold to buy your loot)
Dragon Knowledge (A spell that converts extra Dragon Souls to Perk points) <Great if you don't like to use shouts, configurable cost>
Asteria (A player home, very nice design flying ship)
Fixed Followers Lite (updates follower behavior and makes them work better)

Over 120 hours played so far...

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:52 pm

Mightyflapjack wrote:
My mods typically revolve around things that many other people would consider cheating (up to you to decide).

If you have STEAM you can go into the workshop and download these (I may have the names slightly wrong. I cannot check right now but a search should find it):

Light Weight Potions (Makes all potions weight 0.1) <I consider a potion a VIAL not a JUG>
Kagrenak's Instant Fortress (A summonable fortress that has all crafting stations and a lot of storage. Best part, you get a ring you can use to teleport between it and your current location so drop stuff off and back to the action - FAVORITE MOD).
Instant Merchant (A ring that summons a vendor that has useful items for sale and a lot of gold to buy your loot)
Dragon Knowledge (A spell that converts extra Dragon Souls to Perk points) <Great if you don't like to use shouts, configurable cost>

Complete cheats, all of them. Except maybe the last one - dumb followers are dumb

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:22 pm

NeelyCam wrote:
Mightyflapjack wrote:

Complete cheats, all of them. Except maybe the last one - dumb followers are dumb

Yup, pretty well, but it is a single player game so it is kinda up to him how he plays.

I have some 760 hours with 6 major characters and I have about 16 mods. Most just tweak sound and visuals but one gives me more carriages with more destinations so i don't even need to fast travel. The no blur mod I do need for my collection. The hi res pack is recommended if you have enough RAM.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:49 pm

Mightyflapjack wrote:

Oh, if only... I have Skyrim on the PS3 so unfortunately I can't use mods (as far as I know) unless i jailbreak the thing...

The follower AI on Skyrim is a mountain of suck. Seriously, I really like the game, and while it certainly has it's flaws for the most part I think it's really awesome... but the follower AI just plain sucks. At least on the PS3 it does, I have no idea if it's better on the PC or whatever.

First of all, most of the time my followers are MILES behind me. If I'm running overland for example, even if it's along a road or through relatively flat plains, after a few minutes if I look behind my follower will be... just gone. Where are these idiots going? Are they stopping for tea and cookies somewhere? A lot of times I'll stop someplace and go to the fridge or whatever and come back several minutes later, and my follower still won't have arrived yet. It's even worse in any sort of dungeon... in most cases I just sort of forget about them; I figure I'll see them again when I leave.

In combat they aren't much better. For example, I had some girl from a tower (I think it's called Blackwatch or something like that) and she's basically a spellcaster. He default robe was pretty basic, so I gave her an upgrade... and from that point onward she ran around in her underwear. I assumed, based on what I've read (and common sense) that the AI would have her wear the best thing she had... not strip down to her skivvies.

And the blocking... if you walk into a small room with one door, about half the time your follower (assuming he or she isn't miles away) will invariably stop in the doorway and stare at you if when you try to leave. Fortunately, unrelenting shout is a good "fix" for this...

I've also had, on at least two occasions, my follower just decide to go on a rampage when I was brawling with someone. By which I mean those non-lethal brawls with various characters. For example, I brawled with that chick (somebody the unbroken) in the inn in Whiterun and, after it was over, my follower decides to start flinging firebolts and anyone and everything in the inn.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 pm

The followers aren't smart, but they can be worked around pretty well. I've found that 'casting' followers tend to make better companions, and I keep Marcurio and Serena (from Dawnguard) with me. Marcurio is a little fireball when it comes to dealing out ranged magic damage and Serena does quite well, while typically using a different skill set, so I rarely come up to a situation where neither of them are doing damage due to target resistances. Serena is also a necromancer and summoner, and I have the full conjuration stuff, so the party can get real thick if needed. Heck, then there was one chick I wound up having to follow through a dungeon that was also a necromancer, what a riot.

One tip is to either get in and out of small rooms quickly, or make enough room for them so they don't stand in the doorway. Also, the 1.9 patch (latest, just released) is supposed to fix their armor capability, but there is also a 'Follower's info' mod available that allows you to ask the follower 'What can you do?' and get a table of their skills in return. If you give a follower the armor and weapon set that they're set up for you shouldn't have any problem with them not wearing it- just remember not to give them something with better enchantments or a higher rating.

The best thing followers are good for though is to carry stuff, whether it be loot for resale or disenchanting, ingredients for potions, or resources for smithing. They can make great tanks/offtanks and DPS helpers, and they can help you get through the tougher fights or fights you're not really geared for.

The worst thing about followers (and summoned stuff) is that you do lose some skill advancement and a little/lot of experience during fights, and the worst follower bug I've seen is when one follower (typically Marcurio for me) hits other followers or summoned things with an AOE or bouncing spell (that asshat uses too much damn chain lightening sometimes) and then your followers and/or summoned stuff will start banging on and zapping each other until you change zones.

And changing zones is the easiest way to get them to catch up to you. If you get somewhere new and they're behind, just fast travel to the same spot, and they should be right there with you.

Mightyflapjack
Gerbil

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:52 am

NeelyCam wrote:
Mightyflapjack wrote:

Well lets compare to Torchlight 2:

Lightweight Potions - Torchlight potions stack to a very high number without a 'weight' to be concerned about.
Instant Merchant - Equal to using your pet to sell back your loot.
Kagrenak's Instant Fortress - Equal to "Town Portal."
Asteria - A player house is not really a cheat unless you installed it just to loot all the items.
Fixed Followers Lite - As stated by others, not a cheat unless you consider poor AI a "feature" not a "bug"

Dragon Knowledge - This is the closest thing to a cheat, but as I said you can configure it from 1 dragon soul to 100 souls cost per Perk. If it is a cheat, it is at least balanced.

southrncomfortjm
Gerbil Elite

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm

NeelyCam wrote:

Do it!

I just did, and I love the results. This is coming from a lifetime console gamer. If you've got $700-$1000, do it. If not, save, then do it.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 am

Khali wrote:
So whats every ones MUST have mods for Skyrim?

I see I'm late to the party.
I'm running these mods.
I highly recommend using Nexus Mod Manager for downloading/activating.
And then using BOSS to sort your Plugins.
Must haves:
Better Dynamic Snow
Vurt's Skyrim Floral Overhaul
Static Mesh Improvement Mod
W.A.T.E.R.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Mightyflapjack wrote:
Well lets compare to Torchlight 2:
So by that logic, since I can fire thousands of shots per minute in Touhou Project, then an infinite ammo "mod" for Bioshock isn't cheating, right? Right? ╰( ´◔ ω ◔ `)╯

They're different games; different games have different rules. You can't point to one game and say "well that game does it this way, so it's not cheating if I do it that way in another game". You're changing the rules of the game; by any other name, that's cheating.

If you want to play the game that way, that's fine; nobody's judging you. You're still a damn dirty cheater though. ( =①ω①=)

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:13 pm

Enderal: The Shards of Order is a complete conversion of the Steam version of Skyrim into a completely new game in a brand new world.  The mod is 8 GB in size and requires a separate launcher, both available at Enderal.com and you can expect between 30 to 100 hours playtime.  You may remember this team from Nehrim, their previous total conversion mod for Oblivion.  Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN have covered this mod previously, however until now it was only available in German.  The full English version, including voice acting, is now complete and ready for you to dive into.  You might want to consider un-modding your Skyrim to install the mod, it does create a copy of the Skyrim installation so you can restore your Thomas the Tank Engine mod once you are set up.

A final version of Enderal: The Shards of Order has been completed and can be downloaded for free now. While ‘Enderal’ sounds like it could be something made by a United States pharmaceutical company, it is actually a massive total conversion mod for Skyrim, not just adding new weapons or turning it into a survival game, but creating a whole new RPG using the raw materials of its parent.

Source: PC Perspective - Skyrim isn't done with you yet; full conversion Enderal arrives
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Enderal, about 8 hours in. This game is great.

Great story and ambiance, really well done. The intro it's self is a work of art. Same difficult Skyrim combat, but we know how, by now.  ;)