Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

unreal
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

AMD Catalyst overdrive doesn't work

Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 pm

I just installed the latest 13.1 driver from AMD for my ATI HD4870X2 GPU on a Win7 64-bit system. The first time I use the Catalyst control center the overdrive feature worked fine and I was able to see clock speeds, Temp, activity etc. But once I restarted my computer the overdrive feature doesn't work any more. I don't even see the page for it.

Did anyone else have this problem?

Before I had Win Vista and it worked just fine.
Use your password like your toothbrush, don't let anyone else use it and change it every six months.

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil

Re: AMD Catalyst overdrive doesn't work

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi unreal,

I experience a similar problem.
When I go to overdrive, and click the "Accept" button for first use, the performance tab disappears and I get the AMD Home page.
Which gets pinned again, when I just got it unpinned.
Switching to standard view restores the performance option, but with the same results.
Switching back again to advanced view or exiting and reopening Vision engine control center restores it again, but still not willing to be used/activated.
Going to try an older version of AVECC, which worked fine on my previous install of W7 Home Premium 64bit.
O, the video card is an XFX 4890 Black.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:21 pm

I know this isn't the response you're looking for, but if you're really interested in overclocking at all, do yourself a favor and get a 3rd party app like Sapphire Trix or MSI Afterburner, etc. I use Trix, and it's much better than the overdrive tab in Catalyst - you get voltage control, the same powertune tab (if that applies to your card) and more control over clocks. And you can set fan speed profiles, etc if that interests you. Some would say that you shouldn't have to use a 3rd party app to overclock... But overclocking really isn't a guaranteed feature anyway. And why not use the best tool for the job, especially seeing as how you don't have to pay anything for it/them?

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Tnx Cynan,

Gonna try Trix. Hope it works for my good old 4890.
Just Installed Catalyst version 12.6 witch worked fine before, now I have the same problem, maybe because some leftover junk from v13.1.
Works after installation and before reboot, after reboot it doesn't anymore :evil:

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:58 pm

It's actually Trixx, just in case there's any confusion.

However, thinking more about it, it could be just as likely that AMD changed something regarding how the driver handles power states. As such, 3rd party apps may not help. But worth a shot, I guess.

D@ Br@b($)!
Gerbil

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:22 am

@ unreal,

Here are some possible fixes:
This one work for me:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1262008/how- ... er-problem
Where Qtax wrote:

"Having Catalyst Control Center 12.6 (on windows 7 x64) I couldn't access the OverDrive page having the same issue as you.

The problem seems to be that in some cases CCC.exe doesn't have permission to access some registry keys. In this case it seems to be:
Code:
HKCU\Software\ATI\ACE\Settings\Runtime\Platform\AMDOverDrive

Here is another simple solution that fixed the OverDrive page for me:

In regedit navigate to:
Code:

HKCU\Software\ATI\ACE\Settings

Right click on the Settings key, select Permissions then Advanced.
Make sure your account has full access, and check "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object".
Click OK and OK to apply the changes.
Restart the CCC process (relogin/reboot/kill it)."

Second:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/ ... 39497.html
Gary Mason wrote:
"Just in case this is still a query, all you need to do is run the control centre in admin mode. Right click and select Run as Administrator. Fixed it for me. "

@cynan,

Installed Trixx, used it once and got my pc to reboot when lowering the voltage too much :-). I already like it but need to find out what it does to the dynamic voltages used for different modes the card works in.

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:05 am

This thread makes me miss my 4870X2s.

Do the newer drivers still occasionally have issues with the second core never bumping up out of the low-power state? The problems were exacerbated in my case since I had a custom low-power profile set (in the firmware) of 200 MHz core and 400 MHz memory. When the second core didn't fire up properly it was a huge problem - though with the default 500/500 it is probably less noticeable.

I want to do Quadfire again but issues like the above make me weary (not that I want to buy two dual-GPU cards at today's prices anyway).
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

Dave47
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:30 am

D@ Br@b($)! wrote:

In regedit navigate to:
Code:
Make sure your account has full access, and check "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object".

This worked for me too.

Thanks for the tip, guy.... nice one ! :wink:

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:41 pm

Dave47 wrote:
D@ Br@b($)! wrote:

In regedit navigate to:
Code:

I'm using the stock settings on Overdrive for most testing (14.4stable drivers), then I conservatively take the GPU clock up to 1GHz. No errors, no "forgetting it's settings" (Like SmartBridges), no weekly powercycle. No Idea what's causing you all that vexation. Why I could've been more help.

For what it's worth, I've heard from more than a few people that it's worth using the 14.6Beta drivers. Take that with a boulder of salt.

Dave47
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:55 am

Hz so good wrote:
Dave47 wrote:
D@ Br@b($)! wrote:

In regedit navigate to:
Code:

no "forgetting it's settings"

Was'nt bothered so much that AMD VECC "forgot the settings", more to do with the fact that it refused to display them. Now it's been fixed, I feel better about my individual software being "mine", and not just operating on a manufacturers whim of what it "should do".

:)

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Dave47 wrote:
Was'nt bothered so much that AMD VECC "forgot the settings", more to do with the fact that it refused to display them. Now it's been fixed, I feel better about my individual software being "mine", and not just operating on a manufacturers whim of what it "should do".

:)

That's what killed me about having to deploy SmartBRidges outdoor .11b/g/n APs. The manufacturer decided that using SNMP to setup and manage the APs was the way to go (no GUI, no CLI). At least once a week, they'd forget their IP, subnet mask, and SSID, requiring a weekly reboot. I've never been so happy to learn that the huge shipment of those management ordered was impounded at the port, for reasons unknown. :)

Pranav2146
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:26 am

i have almost similar problem with my AMD Catalyst....after install it works but after restart the computer i don't see it anymore...so is it working or not in the background i have no clue..but my pc sure getting slower then before...
can anyone help me ?

Hz so good
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:02 pm

Pranav2146 wrote:
i have almost similar problem with my AMD Catalyst....after install it works but after restart the computer i don't see it anymore...so is it working or not in the background i have no clue..but my pc sure getting slower then before...
can anyone help me ?

So if you click "Start" and "AMD Catalyst Control Center", it doesn't appear at all? Strange. Overdrive is right there in the performance tab, as of 14.4stable:

What about MSI Kombuster Afterburner? Think that might help? It correctly recognized my Radeon.

Here's the documentation for it in PDF format.