Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

BluePanda
Gerbil
Topic Author

Failed: Finally bought an iPad

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:36 pm

So I bought an iPad the other day for $145. Said I'd never own an apple product and in the last 23 years I've managed not to...well I broke that...

iPad with 64GB and 3G -- and I'm building a hackintosh to go along with it...thinking about hacking it and making my own apps -- what do you iPad owners do with yours? Anyone make apps for the apple store or have any favorites they've come across?

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Failed: Finally bought an iPad

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Mostly surf the web, take a few notes, reading, e-mailing and forum stuff when on the road Have a bunch of apps for some stuff like imdb, tv-guide, facebook and some youtubeing. Most casual things that don't involve gaming or require any form of real keyboard. And especially from the couch or traveling. Have a few cookbooks too.

Bad thing with the full-sized one is that it's to heavy to replace a book for novels and stuff where you just want to slouch sideways on the couch. Actually looked at a iPad mini today and its really light and would fit for that.

Also, I share apps with my iPhone so I have a bit of synergy there.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 pm

That's a pretty good price for a nice tablet with lots of storage. I've considered them over time (also not an Apple user, yet), but it's real hard to get interested in them with their limitations, as I don't read many books; I do quite a bit of browsing and Netflixing, but I think I'd still rather have the nice track pad, decent keyboard, great speakers and real OS/browser for browsing and media.

In the end, though, what sells you on anything is the software, so I am interested to see what other people and yourself find particularly useful as geeks on an iPad that keep your interest and provide real utility over a laptop/netbook!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 pm

I assume we're talking about a gen1 iPad? Pretty great deal for a device that, despite Apple's marketing, still works just fine despite not being supported with iOS6.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Synchromesh
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Games. About 85% of the time. The rest are as a bookreader on a plane and email/browsing machine.

sjl
Gerbil

Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:20 pm

BluePanda wrote:
what do you iPad owners do with yours? Anyone make apps for the apple store or have any favorites they've come across?

Mostly, web access when I don't want to wait for the main system to fire up (although it takes under a minute; hooray for SSDs); videos (TV shows, movies - bit of a shame that not much fits into 64 GB, but oh well), and games on the train/plane. Some calendar tracking and notes as well.

It does pretty much what I paid for it, so I'm happy.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:03 am

Web browsing (Google Chrome)
Facebook
Mail
News apps
ESPN app
Hulu Plus
Netflix
Evernote
Dropbox
LinkedIn
Weather
Password app
Text message
Calendar
Read books (iBook, kindle app, nook app, Safari to go)