Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

GeForce Experience

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:21 pm

GeForce Experience is supposed to automatically setup your video setting in games for you. I seem to remember using something similar a few years ago that did not work well at all. May have been a earlier version of the same product or it may have been a ATI application since I have had a few ATI cards in the past. My question is does it work now or am I going to end up with subpar settings using the GeForce Experience?

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Re: GeForce Experience

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:22 pm

It's worthless - it only supports certain games and it assumes (by default) that everyone wants a 40 fps average... Just get FRAPS and use it to see if you need to manually decrease your settings from the "max" in-game values.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like its the same as the one I used a few years ago. What they call optimized and my idea of optimized are not the same thing.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Indeed, 40fps is unacceptable to me, especially in multiplayer games. 60 is a bare minimum and I prefer a much higher rate if possible (120hz user here).
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am

I find it easier to simply lower the settings if gameplay gets noticeably choppy. I don't find that putting a number on it matters much. :P
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:19 am

I'm in Waco's boat. Don't even track FPS/frame times and lower settings until things are acceptable for you.

I could see some advantage to auto-detecting and tweaking settings with something like GeForce Experience, but that's not so much to get an ideal number and has more to do with tweaking settings to your card's advantage.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:58 pm

Khali wrote:
I seem to remember using something similar a few years ago that did not work well at all.
I vaguely remember something like this a LOOOONG time ago. I also remember GLSetup, which was supposed to make sure you had the correct and compatible OpenGL driver for your graphics card, but I don't think that's what we're thinking of.

Anyway, I hate "automatic" things in general, and this sort of thing is no exception. I wrote a very long and nasty e-mail to Nvidia about Geforce Experience. Sure, you don't HAVE to use it now, but who knows how long before it becomes mandatory?

Between this and the issues I'm having with my GTXTITAN, I'm pretty angry with them right now. (‾ε‾“)

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 am

PerfectCr wrote:
TBH, the Geforce Experience app is not aimed at Titan users, I imagine. :)
Yah, you'd imagine. And then they go and make it mandatory!

Star Brood
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:00 am

FPS is dependent on the user and the game. In Torchlight 2, I get 60FPS and it feels pretty nice. In StarCraft 2, the in-game meter tells me I have 17FPS (my CPU has poor single-threaded IPC), however 17FPS in StarCraft 2 is fine with me. But as soon as one of the in-game cinematics comes on, I need more than 17FPS.

Khali
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:51 am

I am running the GTX 680 and have been running on max setting for everything with no issues so far. Skyrim, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect Trilogy, Dragon Age Origins and DA 2, all three Deus Ex game, etc. No issues with any of them at all.

Only time I had a issue was when I overclocked the CPU, i5-3570k, and the GPU. Thing got unstable and locked up a few times. No issues since I went back to base clock speeds.

So no I do not need some application setting my video setting for me only to have them set for way lower than my machine can run.