Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Upgrade an iPod Classic?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:18 pm

I currently have a 160GB iPod Classic purchased in October 2011. I was thinking about replacing the hard drive with an SSD (say, a 240-256GB model). A few questions: will an SSD work in an iPod Classic as it is supposed to? Is it worth upgrading the Classic or should I seek an alternative (iPod Touches are too expensive in price per GB!)? Has anyone done it and can it be done safely?
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Upgrade an iPod Classic?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:24 pm

Coming from a Zune hard-drive base here, but what I've Googled on iPod Classic disassembly seems to be congruent. All hard-drive based MP3 players are IDE-based with special connectors. You simply won't find a way to bodge a SATA SSD into a device expecting IDE over a proprietary non-standard connector.

I tried to find a way to upgrade my 120GB Zune with the 160GB iPod drive and could never find a way to make it work, mainly because the two camps had different proprietary connectors.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:06 pm

Based on this Macrumors forum thread, the classic uses the same connector as the original Macbook Air's SSD. So not just any SSD, but a proprietary one with proprietary connections. But hey, you might find one on eBay that you could give it a go.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=980378
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Arvald
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 pm

if that rumour plays out that Other World Computing may carry it. http://www.macsales.com

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:15 pm

Arvald wrote:
if that rumour plays out that Other World Computing may carry it. http://www.macsales.com

I found this and it looks like what I may be looking for, especially given that it is small enough to fir an iPod Classic. Has anyone found it to work?
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:43 pm

I repaired an older one with a CF drive using a kit that Amazon sells. Not sure if it supports higher than 64GB though.

But let me tell you... getting an ipod open is a B * T * H.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

tipoo
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:16 am

It has been proven possible, but why an SSD? Isn't that a lot of cost for a player like the Classic?

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:39 am

tipoo wrote:
It has been proven possible, but why an SSD? Isn't that a lot of cost for a player like the Classic?

Not sure how much performance gain you'd actually notice in an iPod by using SSD anyway... seems like if you really need that much storage, you can buy a HDD for a fraction of the cost of SSD, and the end results would be pretty close to the same.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 am

Ipods are meant to be portable. The only problem is that when you play a Classic in a car and there are joints in the road, the HDD will skip. That is impossible with any kind of flash memory (SSD included). That is the point of the original post.

tipoo
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:24 am

riviera74 wrote:
Ipods are meant to be portable. The only problem is that when you play a Classic in a car and there are joints in the road, the HDD will skip. That is impossible with any kind of flash memory (SSD included). That is the point of the original post.

Sure, and how much would a 256GB SSD cost you? You may as well get another flash based player perhaps with expandable storage at that point.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:24 am

riviera74 wrote:

iPods have buffering. There should be no skipping unless you're driving on railroad ties or cross-country.

Assuming that your library will fit, you would have fewer headaches if you get an iPod Touch or iPod Nano.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:29 am

BIF wrote:
riviera74 wrote:

iPods have buffering. There should be no skipping unless you're driving on railroad ties or cross-country.

Assuming that your library will fit, you would have fewer headaches if you get an iPod Touch or iPod Nano.

Right. The hard drive doesn't spin constantly, feeding pieces of the song as it plays. The device loads multiple songs into memory, spins down the hard drive, and pays through them. Then when the queue is getting near the end, spins it up and loads more songs.

The only hard drive jitter you have to worry about in this case is when it's loading more music. If you had such a jittery environment that it wasn't able to reload the queue before it emptied, you could get some skipping and other artifacts.