Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Hoser

tanker27
Gerbil Khan
Topic Author

Lucasarts

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:27 pm

There really havent been relevant lately and they had a good run with some very memorable PC games;

Staff were informed of the shutdown this morning, according to a reliable Kotaku source. Some 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects—Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313—were cancelled. Disney will still use the LucasArts name to license games, but the studio is no more.

Hypothetically, the company could license First Assault or 1313 to a different developer, but those would be different games entirely.

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games," LucasArts parent company LucasFilm said in a statement. "As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles.”

This comes after weeks and months of rumors involving the studio, which was acquired by Disney last fall. In September, LucasArts put a freeze on all hiring and product announcements, which many staff saw as the beginning of the end. In February, we started hearing rumors that the studio might be shuttered. Today, it's official: the iconic development house is gone.

Although the announcement of Star Wars 1313 perked me up. A gritty Star Wars is what I would like.

Man they got put down old yeller style. :(
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Lucasarts

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:28 pm

The studio's older games are part of the classics' library. Shame to see 'em go.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Yeah, it hurts. Hopefully the licensing situation works alright. I could see a few studios with ideas pick up good ideas, but I guess that's a pipe dream for another day.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Another Jedi Knight game on Frostbite 3.0? Would sure beat another MoH...

Aphasia
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:26 pm

Only problem with Jedi Knight series is that the swordplay needs to be really good for it to work. But that would be awesome. Or they could just go for a fully new series within the SW universe based on Frostbite, which would also be awesome. Proper Sci-Fi multiplayer FPS without all that MMO-stuff on top of it.