Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

It's New Computer Time, AGAIN!

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm replacing the computer that's specs are linked to below in my sig here. (It broke :( on Dec. 1st of last year--the mobo blew and it can't be repaired :( .)

This is the computer I'm thinking of getting.

Ow, *beep*! Ow, ow, OWWW! Now outta stock! How *beep*ing convienient! Why, WHY!? ??? :o

Well okay! New question than the one I was gonna type!

Help me find a computer at least as the one with the specs posted below in my sig, EXCEPT that I'd like the CPU's clock-speed to be at least 3GHz AND I'd like to be able to use my SoundBlaster X-Fi Platnum (or Titanium? I don't *beep*in' remember :P ), GFX-card (unless better one already in), and maybe some of my RAM strips from my previous computer below, but most importantly the sound-card for sure--gotta have EAX support, which that card does (it's *beep*ing awesome, BTW). Oh, yes: A low price is a big plus!

Please help! :( This computer I'm now using as I write this is teh awful--no, it really is! It's the worst! :(
There has been multiple Fatal Errors in TheTechReportForums.ini

Utilize Alternatives (Y/N)?
>Y

FATALITIES!
The Lord of the Flies wins!

chuckula
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: It's New Computer Time, AGAIN!

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:21 pm

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire: THE TR-TEAM! 8)

If price is a big concern, I'd try to recycle as many existing components as you can, and I'll try to be as cut-rate as possible with my recommendations.
How about the motherboard + RAM + Trinity combo from the latest TR system guide: http://techreport.com/review/24350/tr-f ... em-guide/3

If you can re-use the case, hard drives, optical drives, & PSU of your old system, then you would only need to buy the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. I'm not sure where the 8600 GT ranks in comparison with the GPU in the Trinity, but the built-in Trinity GPU might even work out better for you.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:42 pm

Well, much as I'd really, REALLY love to be able to play BioShock Infinite right now, I might be constrained by cost. And I can't actually put together an entire system by myself. I mean I guess I'd have to build that myself?

How much is that anyway, like the total cost? Will it play BioShock Infinite, or at least RAGE and/or L.A. Noire? I dunno maybe I can pay someone to put it together for me, if the cost isn't so great as to leave me with not enough to pay someone else...?

>Y

FATALITIES!

chuckula

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:19 pm

The Lord of the Flies wrote:
Well, much as I'd really, REALLY love to be able to play BioShock Infinite right now, I might be constrained by cost. And I can't actually put together an entire system by myself. I mean I guess I'd have to build that myself?

How much is that anyway, like the total cost? Will it play BioShock Infinite, or at least RAGE and/or L.A. Noire? I dunno maybe I can pay someone to put it together for me, if the cost isn't so great as to leave me with not enough to pay someone else...?

If putting things together is out of the question, then unfortunately the TR build guide won't be that helpful :-( As someone who builds his own systems but does so infrequently (my main rig is now > 5 years old), I will say that it is not as hard as it looks, but I don't want to push you into doing something you aren't comfortable with.

I will say this though: You might want to start out with a refurbished system and then add a discrete GPU of some type if you want to play games. It won't be a gaming monster, but a relatively recent vintage refurb + a halfway decent video card should be respectable at playing even modern games (maybe not at super-high resolutions and detail settings though). Putting a new video card in requires a little assembly, but is a much simpler process than building a whole system and is a good way to dip your toe in the water for maybe doing more building in the future. The TR system guide could help you select a video card for your performance level and price range.

As for the rest of your questions, what is your price range? This will affect the types of systems you are looking at for purchase and potential upgrade components. From your list of games, you can probably get something manageable in the $600 total price range, but it will depend on deals you may find online. If $600 sounds like too much to spend at once, you can start with a refurbished system for less money and then purchase a GPU upgrade later too.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; Officially RX-560... that's right AMD you shills!; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:28 pm

Well I have a video-card (I think it's in the specs in my sig below), and I can put in the parts from the previous system that I mentioned, but more than that, I dunno. I should get a computer according to the specs I mentioned, at least, no less, please. I guess I would need a primarily gaming-computer, like that. Hopefully I can get that for perhaps under $300USD.

Perhaps someone can pick a good one out, within those perameters, I guess.

>Y

FATALITIES!

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:31 am

I only glanced at the posts but i must say i didn't understand much of what you are looking for.

It should be quite simple really, state what kind of rig you want to build (like what size, for what you will use it, maybe a list of components that you need) and budget.

The link you posted is not working for me so i have no idea what we are talking about. It would be wise to edit your first post to be more informative.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:59 am

Arclight wrote:
I only glanced at the posts

Oh.

but i must say i didn't understand much of what you are looking for.

Hmm, that seems odd, I don't know why that is. But perhaps I'm typically much more conscientious about my writing of the English language. Let me try again.

The link in my sig--that's the specs of the computer that I must immediately replace. Help me pick out a replacement computer. That computer should cost no more than $300USD. It should have at least equal specs to the one in the link in my sig, the computer needs to be replaced.

Except that the CPU should go at 3GHz and no less.

I already have a video-card, though. It should be listed in the sig, along with the other specs that you looked at earlier. It would be great if I could put that card into a replacement computer OR maybe the replacement computer may come with a better one than the one I have.

It's almost essential that the sound-system of whatever replacement computer you might pick support EAX. Please don't ask me why! Because that's the way I like it! But fortunately I have a Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium(?) sound-card that does. I'd love to be able to put that into a new computer, that I just purchased, while not necessarily the newEST technology ($$$$$$!!!111!1!11111)

I have some RAM chips was well: Two (2) DDR2, 1GB strip. I don't remember the rest of the details, and that's not so important anyway as I hope I can start with a sufficent 4GB, and RAM's so damn cheap anyway hehehehehe

Expansive upgradabilty on the motherboard, like more slots, to put the chips and things in them, would be a bonus, but not necessary, and certainly not at extra cost.

>Y

FATALITIES!

killadark
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:22 am

300$ is quite the tight budget if your looking fr something to just get it working you could get an LGA775(that is the socket that supports core 2 duo) motherboard to replace the one that burned but i doubt you could play any new games on that
the gpu seems ancient also dnt think it will be up to the task of playing latest games

i would suggest this

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB $120
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814202011
Kingston Value 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM $42
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820139659
GIGABYTE GA-F2A85XM-D3H FM2 AMD A85X $80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813128572
AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU $54
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113283

total is around $303 including shipping

OR

you could buy a slightly lesser motherboard and get this
MSI FM2-A55M-E33 FM2 AMD A55 $49
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813130661
AMD A8-5500 Trinity 3.2GHz (3.7GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 65W Quad-Core Desktop APU $104
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819113288

this would total out $317 and you will have a quad core cpu instead of a dual core

this is considering you have a decent powersupply and can reuse your old HDD and Case

EDIT:added some stuff
Last edited by killadark on Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
AMD FX-8350|Asus M5A97 LE R2.0|16gb GSKILL Sniper 2400mhz|Samsung SSD 120g 840|AMD R9 290 TRI-X (dead) GTX1070
Corsair RM650x,Thermaltake Xaser vi ,Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 am

Consider a new A10 processor, a socket FM2 motherboard and 2x4 GiB of PC3-14900 DDR3 memory. Re-use all of your existing components.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:57 am

Perhaps. Trouble is, I can't build that stuff. No building on my behalf, please.

Okay, forget the above-quoted price of >=$300US for a post or two. What already-built system can you show me that can be delivered to me, ready for me to install my Win7 Pro OS onto and go.

>Y

FATALITIES!

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:11 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Consider a new A10 processor, a socket FM2 motherboard and 2x4 GiB of PC3-14900 DDR3 memory. Re-use all of your existing components.
Heeey, I know! Why don't you gather the parts and build it for me. :) How much you want for parts & labor & delivery? (Ooo, I'm engaging in Insider Trading! Good thing this isn't the Stock Market! hehehehehehe) Would you want $300US or less for that? :)

>Y

FATALITIES!

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 am

Hey, what if I also throw in a donation to the site? I've donated to some websites of worthy causes before....

Look: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19002945/DxDiag%5BTMP%5D.txt That's the computer I'm now, and have been using for now FIVE months. Read it, and weep with me! It can hardly do YouTube, for God's sake! You can read it there! The Horror! The Horror!

Please, please! I must have a proper computer! I even have the money! But I gotta have computer! :(

Okay, I'll stop now. Your turn! hehehehe

>Y

FATALITIES!

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:15 am

Let me get this straight, you want to buy another pre-assembled computer with specs simillar to what you already have, even though you could just repair your existing computer by replacing the motherboard?

Fine, let's see. Your budget is $300 and you need the following components:
- 3 GHz core 2 Duo or better
- corresponding motherboard with 1 x PCI-E x16 and 1 x PCI-E x1 expansion slot for Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium
- 2 GB of RAM or more (if existing RAM is not compatible with "new" motherboard)
- PSU
- case
- HDD
- video card (optional, if budget allows, if not you will recycle your old PCI-E card).

You did not mention but i presume you live in the US so i'll be using newegg.
CPU
Intel Pentium G2120 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 Dual-Core $79.99

Motherboard
Intel BOXDH61HO LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX $59.99

RAM
G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 1333MHz $18.99

PSU
SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W $64.99

HDD
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA $74.99

Grand total: $298,95

Note 1
No case was included as it would have gone over budget and you should be able to reuse the old case if it has support for Micro-ATX boards
Note 2
The CPU is compatible with the motherboard according to this
Be advised as the mobo only sports a VGA video port for the integrated IGP, if you intend on using it.
Note 3
The HDD is 6 Gbps but the mobo only has 3 Gbps slots, do not be alarmed, it is backwards compatible.
Note 4
I see you are afraid to build your own computer, that's stupid in this day and age. It's very simple and there are tons of guides and videos on the internet on how to do it. You can start by reading this article

If down the road you will want to upgrade the case and buy a CPU cooler i recommend:
Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811112354

CPU cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835103065
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:14 am

Arclight wrote:
Let me get this straight, you want to buy another pre-assembled computer with specs simillar to what you already have, even though you could just repair your existing computer by replacing the motherboard?
I am not operating under the presumption that the blown mobo was the only problem. Repair tech said could be other problems, but stop checking at blown mobo. What if the power-supply's ****? Why should I gamble upon what I don't know? That's ****! I'm not taking the chance, I'm not gambling, operating under guesswork, and I was trying to keep it simple (oh, well). Thought I'd ask the Pros instead, hoping they could provide an answer to what I was requesting.
I see you are afraid to build your own computer, that's stupid in this day and age.
So are time-contraints, and physical exertion. No building, please AGAIN. I'm not building, I have my reasons, and they are NOT relavant to my making a purchace! In what way is it!? That's unfathomably and even inexplicably stupid! No building here! I even said PLEASE! And I don't gotta explain at length that to you, when how does it ****' matter, especially when you don't seem to understand my request, much less when there doesn't seem to be an answer forthcoming in exchange for info about my business! What the **** do you even need to know that for!? NO BUILDING HERE! NADA! NO! CAN'T BE DONE! NO TIME! IT'S AGAINST THE LAW WHERE I LIVE! ALSO GOD TOLD ME NOT TO--IT WOULD BE AGAINST MY RELIGION! AND IT'S BAD LUCK! AND MY CAT AND NEIGHBORS ARE ALLERGIC TO IT! AND YES, IF IT'S SO IMPORTANT FOR YOU TO PRESUME, THEN YES, BUILDING IS STUPID! If those reasons are not satisfactory, should I give you even more? Or would it be sufficient to just take my words: NO BUILDING HERE, GODDAMNIT, PLEASE!

I know what I'm asking, and why the hell I'm asking it! I just wish that someone else knew, especially because I've repeated it numerous times.

Okay, so you name a buncha parts. Great! Now how am I gonna get those parts together? Would money do it? Or maybe one already put together, yes?

>Y

FATALITIES!

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 am

I am not operating under the presumption that the blown mobo was the only problem. Repair tech said could be other problems, but stop checking at blown mobo. What if the power-supply's ****? Why should I gamble upon what I don't know? That's ****! I'm not taking the chance, I'm not gambling, operating under guesswork, and I was trying to keep it simple (oh, well). Thought I'd ask the Pros instead, hoping they could provide an answer to what I was requesting.

[...]

I know what I'm asking, and why the hell I'm asking it! I just wish that someone else knew, especially because I've repeated it numerous times.

Okay, so you name a buncha parts. Great! Now how am I gonna get those parts together? Would money do it? Or maybe one already put together, yes?

I am not a pro but you are really insulting the pros of this community which make build guides multiple times every year. This being the latest issue of the DIY system guide.

Coming to the forum of such a website like TR and asking the community memebers to find you a pre built machine is the first mistake you did.

The secound one being all that swearing for no reason. Tech Report is not the only place where you can ask for advice and it certainly isn't the most appropriate place for your particular needs.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:59 am

@Lord Of The Flies -

If you are not willing to consider a DIY repair of the existing system or DIY new build, your best bet is to just go to Dell or HP's web site, and select a system based on your budget.

You are unlikely to get good value for the money by paying someone else to assemble the system for you, especially after you factor in the cost of shipping everything twice.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:13 am

Wow, people are a little grouchy on this one. Let me try to help. If you don't prefer to build your own system from scratch, there's nothing wrong with that.
1) I would recommend something a little better/newer than what you're listing if you'll be playing games like Bioshock Infinite, Rage, and LA Noire.

2) Don't just dismiss the TR system guide and people's recommendations. Use those hardware lists to find something similar that's pre-built. Sites like cyberpower and ibuypower are botiques that use good quality aftermarket parts like you'd buy on newegg.com. They give you great flexibility for selecting components, as well as leaving the door open for easy upgrades in the future.

3) Try out this system that comes in at $400. You'll have to re-select the components (sorry): Thermaltake Commander case, i3-3220 CPU, 500GB hard drive, 4GB DDR3 RAM, Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H mobo, Corsair CX430 V2 power supply. That system costs $372 to buy on newegg.com, so paying someone $30 to put it together for you plus 3 year warranty and lifetime customer support is a good deal.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Voldenuit

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:57 am

Dell Inspiron 660 starts from $349. 2.9 Ghz Pentium G2020 is under the OP's 3 GHz requirement, but is an Ivy Bridge CPU that should be faster than the 3.33 GHz Core 2 Duo that the OP was looking at.

If the OP is considering any gaming with modern games, his 8600 GT probably isn't going to cut it. It was a slow GPU when it came out 7 years ago, and the VRAM would be inadequate for most modern 3D games. Consider getting a Geforce 650Ti for $129 or Radeon 7770 for around $109 at a later date if budget is a problem.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:24 am

Voldenuit wrote:
If the OP is considering any gaming with modern games, his 8600 GT probably isn't going to cut it. It was a slow GPU when it came out 7 years ago, and the VRAM would be inadequate for most modern 3D games. Consider getting a Geforce 650Ti for $129 or Radeon 7770 for around $109 at a later date if budget is a problem.

Yeah, the 8600GT is about as good as Intel HD4000 IGP. (NOT GOOD FOR GAMING anymore). I would also recommend a 7770. Just go to newegg.com and get this 7770 so you know exactly what you're getting. It even comes with a free game!
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:28 pm

Honestly, with a $300 budget and no desire to build it yourself, your best bet is to take it to a PC shop and ask them to replace the motherboard and graphics card, perhaps check the PSU is good.

A 2.33GHz Core2 Duo with 4GB of RAM and something like an HD7770 or a GTX650Ti will still be a reasonably competent gaming machine. The ideal solution would be to upgrade the processor, RAM and motherboard, but that's not likely to happen in a worthwhile way for less than $450 or so.

$60 for a replacement board that can re-use your old RAM and processor
$100 for an HD7770 which should run games for a few years just fine.
$25 labour, I'd guess.
You've spent only $200 and can now play Bioshock Infinite (my laptop would be less powerful than this and it runs B:I pretty well at 1366x768)
If it turns out your PSU is a problem, you still have budget to replace that too.
If you stumble across another $250 in the future you could upgrade the processor (plus motherboard and RAM).

If that doesn't take your fancy, then you either need to build it yourself, pay someone to do it for you, or pony up the cash for an off-the-shelf machine. You won't play Bioshock Infinite on a new $300 box, that's for sure.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Ah, good! Some good replies are coming! *pant pant!* Lemme catch my breath here, as the my previous replies were not easy nor fun (nor did I come intending to make them--that was not my purpose at all, really), AND with this current crap-computer that's ONLY better than no computer at all, and I'm in computer hell, and on fire, painful fire, put it out, put it out, PUT IT OUT! :o But only a proper replacement computer (not to mention this one right out my second-story window, SCTV-style) will put me out and ascend my poor, poor, beleagred cybersoul into computer heaven. (Oh-no! Now my Google Spellcheck has inexplicably gone out! That's a first! :( )

Okay, I'll catch breath, and try to tackle these new replies. Gimmie a bit! X-P *pant pant wheeze!*

>Y

FATALITIES!

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:43 am

In another thread, I wrote:
Refurbished and scratched/dented units from Dell's and HP's outlet stores can be quite decent, though they would probably strain your budget.
http://www.dell.com/outlet
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/hp-information ... o-buy.html

Something like an Inspiron 660 or Inspiron 620 becomes a decent gaming PC when you add a discrete graphics card like a Radeon HD7770 to it.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Yugiyurigyu
Gerbil

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:36 am

Under $300 and can play current games... I think your best/only bet is Craigslist. Decent number of people who want just the latest and greatest and will sell their perfectly-fine, slightly-used computers. Obviously with stuff like Craigslist, YMMV.

The other route of buying say a dell and upgrading the video card probably blows the budget ($400+). You may also need to check if the power supply can handle the new video card. Some of the cheaper computers used to come with very tiny power supplies.

Please help! :( This computer I'm now using as I write this is teh awful--no, it really is! It's the worst! :(

ps. that computer is really awful for even web browsing because it only has 248MB of ram. That's really not enough to do anything, so it's reading off the harddrive.

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:50 am

f you live near a microcenter, they have a ton of refurbs for cheap. I paid 329$ for a i3 2120 3.3 dual core 6 gb of ddr 1333 on a h67chipset and a 1tb 7200rpm hd along with a wifi card and win7 home prem. it was a gateway refurb with a 300 watt psu. I added a hd7750 and can game decently at 1080p.

If you do live near a microcenter i highly rec you check out there website.

I also purchased another gateway slim tower for 229$ also sandy bridge based with a h61 chipset and added a hd6570lp card. I have had bot for over a year and they have work flawlessly. running 24/7 since they are used for htpcs 1st and gaming second.
Gateway has been owned by acer for a long while now i believe.
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:07 am

This refurbed Compaq for $170 is probably the best bet in your price range - salvage the RAM & HD from your current machine, shove in a $120 Radeon 7770, and install a 64 bit version of Windows (I assume with 4 GiB of RAM, you have a license from your old computer,) and you will a machine that is at least respectable.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

AustinW
Gerbil

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:01 am

Isn't anyone else really, really curious about why OP can't do any building? Maybe he doesn't have hands :o

... maybe he's Zoidberg.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:24 am

AustinW wrote:
Isn't anyone else really, really curious about why OP can't do any building? Maybe he doesn't have hands

There are plenty of people in the world that are afraid of building a computer. Even though it's quite simple for you and I, doesn't mean everyone feels comfortable doing it. Also, buying from a company like Dell, HP, or Cyberpower gets you tech support (lifetime tech support from Cyberpower, ~2 years from Dell/HP). As long as it's not too much more expensive, tech support alone can be a great feature for someone who isn't especially tech-savvy.

Furthermore, the OP has already expressed that they are willing to install their own OS and graphics card. Gotta start somewhere.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm

Yes, I have a friend who could build his own computer, but he prefers to buy one from Dell or HP. Though he had lots of trouble with his last computer. I think he bought a Dell and after having them work on it multiple times he returned it and got an HP. He has had a few issues with the HP but nothing like the Dell (just unlucky with that computer.)

He just doesn't want to deal with the hassle of fixing it if something goes wrong. He is happier to just call the Tech Support line and let them fix the problems when they occur. I can't say I blame him as there are some times when I've wished I could pass the problem off to someone else. ;)

The Lord of the Flies
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Arclight wrote:
Coming to the forum of such a website like TR and asking the community memebers [sic] to find you a pre built machine is the first mistake you did..

Oh, really? Is that really so?

DPete27 wrote:
If you don't prefer to build your own system from scratch, there's nothing wrong with that.

Yes, thank you! Everybody knows that, except for teh Arclight nub of a knob. What does he think he is, some kind of a prick of a Nazi-n00b, a self-appointed virtual junior-high hall monitor that thinks he's the principal!?

Arclight: You're a dick! You're not even right! And I refuse to listen to any more of your hostile jibberish, you flaming lamer! Get offa my computer-screen, NOW! *ploink!* Ahh! Much better! hehehehe

AustinW wrote:
Isn't anyone else really, really curious about why OP can't do any building?

Heh, no.

Maybe he doesn't have hands :o

http://youtu.be/jG2KMkQLZmI :I

>Y

FATALITIES!